PDA

View Full Version : Are the F5 Loars really that expensive?

f5loar
Jun-27-2004, 10:28pm
Just when you think the Loar F5 prices are out of this world you come across the unbelievable in Gibson vintage that brings you back to reality. George Gruhn at www.gruhn.com has Mother Maybelle Carter's famous '28 Gibson L5 guitar which in many respects is as famous as Monroe's Loar F5 mandolin which we think brought over a million dollars. Gruhn is asking a modest $575,000 for this historical guitar. This seems like a real steal of a deal when you compare Eric Clapton sold his '29 Gibson L5 which I don't think I ever saw him with it either live or on record for a whopping $959,500. That's about 7 really sweet Loar F5 mandolins if you are counting. Who would ever have thought that "Slowhand" would beat out the original "Slowhand" guitarist, Mother Maybelle! Something is bad wrong with this picture. Looks to me Eric would buy Maybelle's L5, pick it a few times and resale it for a quick double of his money.
See Eric's L5 at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5295941/

f5loar
Jun-27-2004, 11:17pm
sorry about that! The photo of the L5 leads one to believe it was the L5 that brought over$950K but it was "Blackie" that brought that much. Looks like the L5 did bring over $500K which my point of why when Maybelle's L5 seems to be so underpriced. I get my "Blackie" and "Brownies" mixed up.
Who can keep up with what Clapton is playing anyway! Still the boy seems to do pretty good auctioning off his geetars!

Professor PT
Jun-28-2004, 7:18pm
Yes, it puts things into perspective...I like Clapton a lot, but to think that someone would pay a million for his strat boggles my mind. Maybe if it were a Strad(ivarius) it would make more sense.

mandophil(e)
Jun-28-2004, 10:10pm
I think Clapton's guitars generate that much interest and money because to many of us "boomers" he was a rock-n-roll god. A zillion and a half people know the opening lick from Layla. A generation of would be rock guitar players idolized him cause he was the best.

earthsave
Jun-29-2004, 12:07pm
I guess nothing is too expensive if you've got the money.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Jun-29-2004, 12:30pm
I guess from a collector's point of view, a Loar is not so expensive, because you know you'll likely get more for it later on. But for an average guy who plays mandolin, has car payments, a mortgage and so on, it's mind boggling that people pay 100K+ for a mandolin. Especially when there are so many great mandolins out there that sound just as good.

Bluegrass Boy
Jun-29-2004, 12:48pm
Since I play left handed, when I buy a Loar, I'm going to have saw off the scroll and glue it on the other side. Hmmm, guess I'll have to bondo the hole where the scroll was.

Luthier Vandross
Jun-29-2004, 5:37pm
I don't know anyone who collects Loar mandolins, Loar mandolins are played, I know, we fix broken nice ones constantly. You don't find that in every vintage realm. I know one guy who bought a nearly mint one maybe 12 years ago, he has likely put 1000s of times more playing on it, than it's previous life, to that date.

I think George is on dog food with the L-5, just a fishin'... but g'luck to you, George! May the rattlesnake of happiness bite your wallet, and kill you with cash!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

M

f5loar
Jun-29-2004, 10:46pm
There maybe a zillion people that know the opening lick to Layla but there is not a guitar player alive that hasn't heard and tried to pick the "Wildwood Flower". Actually Maybelle did play other L5's and even a Hummingbird or two in her lifetime but like Monroe this was her main axe and the one that recorded the flower song. George might be fishin' with that price but he'll hook a sucker fish with it easily. It belongs in a museum.