PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite mandolin design

Jonathan Peck
Jun-02-2008, 2:08pm
There are alot of variations in mandolin design....carved top, flat top, bent top, flat back, carved back, bowlback, oval hole, ff hole, tone bar braced, x-braced, short scale, regular scale, nut widths, neck profiles...etc.

We spend alot of time talking about 'A' vs. 'F' style, but what about everything else? What is your favorite mandolin design, what type of music do you play, and why does your mandolin fit your style of playing.

Who would like to build their own virtual mandolin to their own custom specs...you are your own custom builder, and the price is very reasonable!

Elliot Luber
Jun-02-2008, 2:22pm
I play an A, and an F is certainly the non-classical standard in the U.S., but I do like the looks of an assymetrical two pointer just like your avitar. There may be one in my (distant) future.

Chip Booth
Jun-02-2008, 2:31pm
I've always been a big fan of the snakehead A. Basic, simple, elegant.

Chip

Barb Friedland
Jun-02-2008, 2:32pm
I have an F model Eastman which was my starter and I also have a gorgeous Weber Fern A.

My favorite is still my BRW 2 point. I love it because it is so versatile. I can get a decent chop going on it and still have the ability to pull out sweeter sounds. I am beginning to dip into some jazz, gypsy and classical. It can do it all.

That said, I still have some fantasies about a nice oval hole someday. MAS strikes again???

JEStanek
Jun-02-2008, 2:37pm
For me, it's a toss up between the old Gibson 3 points and the L&H Style A. I like to play folky, renasaince-y, hymn-y, fiddle tune-y stuff mostly. I had my L&H inspired instrument built by Brian Dean. I'll leave the building to the men and women with the wood working/finishing skills. If I win the lottery, that I never play, I'll ask Hans Brentrup to build me a set of 3 pointers, black topped in a mando and dola.

From a utilitarian point of view, my Spira Cant top, flatback is simple elegant, and sounds great. I'm living my mando dreams.

Jamie

Jim Garber
Jun-02-2008, 8:27pm
I like all mine -- after all they are my children. Tho this one does appeal a lot to me. "4-point" Bacon Artist 1921.

JEStanek
Jun-02-2008, 8:45pm
Jim, the tailpiece on that beauty seals the deal for me! Excellent design.

Jamie

birdman98
Jun-02-2008, 9:35pm
I'm always amazed at the lack of originality when it comes to mandolin design.

Gibson made a fantastic looking instrument...the "f style"...way back when. It's a great design, (I own two of them!). But I don't get why every darn mando has to be a clone (at least externally) of that original design. I guess they sell well...but come on!! How about some ORIGINALITY!

What if 4 out of every 5 new cars were produced to look like a 1967 Corvette...regardless of what's under the hood?

Are mandolinists that narrow-sighted?? Do 80% of players need their axe to look like Monroes'?

JEStanek
Jun-02-2008, 10:21pm
Do you feel narrow sighted? I'm confused? You say you have two but feel the design lacks originality in reproduction.

I can see subtle differences between F styles by various builders, scroll shape and volute details, binding, fingerboard extensions/shapes, inlay, pickguard details. Granted these are subtle (like differences between different brand minivans or SUVs for example). I think the OP was soliciting thoughts on your dream concept car - to further a stretched analogy.

A final point, I bet most of the folks who like the F style wouldn't want one that looked like Bill's unless it was Bill's.... His looked pretty poorly taken care of. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jamie

Brad Weiss
Jun-02-2008, 10:58pm
This one...

seanonabutton
Jun-02-2008, 11:12pm
i know this may sound strange... but i believe that a Mix carbon fiber F... because i like f style, but also immensely like the carbon fiber. personally i think it just looks and sounds fantastic. hopefully one day....

allenhopkins
Jun-02-2008, 11:18pm
All of 'em.

Glassweb
Jun-02-2008, 11:29pm
The Lloyd Loar F5... tough to beat it.

mandroid
Jun-02-2008, 11:59pm
Monte's GA has a certain appeal , of those I that are out of my pricerange,

though, I quite like the Hodson Djangolin of those I've managed to find and aquire.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-03-2008, 12:54am
Since i play Bluegrass music,the standard F-5 style is my first choice,hence my 'Fern',but i also love the sound of my 'A' style Beartooth mandolin,which is totally different in sound.
#If by 'design' we're talking about specific 'shapes',then there are so many stunning designs by various builders that i'd find it very hard indeed to choose. I'd most likely choose a design only to find another one that i liked as much. I'm satisfied with what i have in as much that they are the best that i can afford & are very good at that,but if i had the cash to spare to have a 'custom' made instrument,then it would be a VERY hard task
to choose one design over another. I have to say that the take on the 'standard' F-5 design by the late John R.Zeidler,is one of the most elegant designs i have ever seen & i do envy John McGann greatly (in the nicest possible way of course),
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Saska

Jason Nagati
Jun-03-2008, 1:25am
I love the look of a bowlback with fluted ribs and a violin scroll.

birdman98
Jun-03-2008, 6:43am
Do you feel narrow sighted? #I'm confused? #You say you have two but feel the design lacks originality in reproduction. #

I can see subtle differences between F styles by various builders, scroll shape and volute details, binding, fingerboard extensions/shapes, inlay, pickguard details. #Granted these are subtle (like differences between different brand minivans or SUVs for example). #I think the OP was soliciting thoughts on your dream concept car - to further a stretched analogy.

A final point, I bet most of the folks who like the F style wouldn't want one that looked like Bill's unless it was Bill's.... His looked pretty poorly taken care of. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jamie
Yeah! maybe I DO feel a little narrow sighted http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Didn't say that I didn't LIKE my f-styles...I love em. But their appearence does seem "cookie-cutterish" to me. You get the big scroll, the little scroll and the hook on the headstock, the points in the same places...regardless if it's cranked out in a factory or handbuilt with meticulous attention to detail. Yeah, you can get amazing differences in inlay, binding, etc... no denying that there is some great stuff there. It just seems funny to me that so many instruments, from such a wide variety of builders, use the same basic (visual) design. I really don't see the car analogy as being too far off the mark.

Maybe what I meant to say is that I applaud the more original designs that have been popping up... some of the less-than subtle variations of the f-style. The Breedloves are funky.. but they have a look of their own. I also love the look of the "f-holes" on some of Mr. Brentrups' mandolins. And some of those two-pointers are knock-outs.

Again...not bashing f-styles (they are all I own!) Just find myself starting to prefer the more original designs.

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2008, 6:49am
Same in the guitar world... how many Strat, Tele and D-18/28 copies are there out there?

adgefan
Jun-03-2008, 6:50am
Today I have been mostly drooling over Michael Heiden's Milano 2-point, as played by Bryce Milano.

http://www.heideninstruments.ca/Images/milano1.jpg

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2008, 6:52am
Jim, the tailpiece on that beauty seals the deal for me! Excellent design.
Here ya go!

JEStanek
Jun-03-2008, 7:14am
Jim, Thanks! That's a great looking tailpiece on a cool body shape.
Birbdman98, Gotcha. Just for fun, did you see the thread from Rice University Design Students (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=43504;hl=rice+and+univ ersity). These aren't mando players so much as design students from the School of Architecture.

Jamie

Klaus Wutscher
Jun-03-2008, 7:23am
Same in the guitar world... how many Strat, Tele and D-18/28 copies are there out there?
So, what about pianos then? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

sgarrity
Jun-03-2008, 7:26am
New designs are good. #I like Hans' Stealth, Mario's Jazz model, the Clark two-point and the list goes on. #But there's nothing wrong with designs that work, like the F5 and the dreadnaught.

If I were to order a new mandolin it would be a Brentrup A4 hybrid with hard maple and red spruce.

Tim2723
Jun-03-2008, 8:25am
I think there comes a question too about how far a basic design can be changed until it's no longer identifiable as a mandolin. #How far can you change the tone until you've changed the timbre? For instance, all trumpets look and sound like trumpets and are built like trumpets. #You can have bright trumpets and mellow trumpets, but they are identifiable as trumpets. If you change the design enough you have a flugle horn.

I played an Ovation for ten years and liked it. #But it looked very guitar like and had a sound somewhere between a guitar and a mandolin.

danb
Jun-03-2008, 8:45am
I think the Gibson 3-points from right around 08-10 are the ones with the coolest style

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/images/9100_face2.jpg

Tone-wise, they tend to be a bit darker, have long sustain, and a very singular sweetness of note. I tend to play Irish tunes, and you get a bubbly sound from the ornaments. The look shouldn't really have a huge effect, but I find it does- it puts me in a different state of mind when I'm playing it, I feel more dislocated from myself and my time when I play it. Strange juju for sure.

Brandon Flynn
Jun-03-2008, 9:21am
Two points are great. I like Han's stealth alot. Ben Wilcox's J-16s look great. Pretty much all of Rigel's designs are very cool in my eyes. And of course I love the F-style most. I want an F-style that is more versatile than most people want theirs. I don't want a "banjo killer", I want something that is a little quieter for jazz and classical. But I want to have a decent chop, just not a "banjo killing" chop.

Capt. E
Jun-03-2008, 9:25am
I'm in lust for an Altman two point I have tried out a couple of times...also would love to get a L&H B style.
Of the three I own, my favorite is a Shiro A style with f holes (looks and plays just like a Gibson A9) made in Japan at the famous Matsumoku factory in the early 70's. Beautiful, simple design. My Mid-Missouri is altogether different. Finding it in a pawn shop began my mandolin journey so it will always have a place in my heart. My Epiphone MM-30 is pretty, but doesn't play anything like the other two. I guess from all this you can tell I like A styles.

Jeff Hildreth
Jun-03-2008, 10:35am
A's and 2 pointers

TomTyrrell
Jun-04-2008, 4:35pm
I'm always amazed at the lack of originality when it comes to mandolin design. #

Are mandolinists that narrow-sighted?? #Do 80% of players need their axe to look like Monroes'?
Maybe not 80% but a pretty high percentage. Most people, especially beginners, want to fit in. They don't really want to be different. They either buy a mandolin that looks like everyone else's or they buy a mandolin that looks like the one their hero plays.

There is also the situation for professional players that they have to play an instrument that looks like the audience or band leader thinks it should look.

When you become truly famous you can play whatever you want to. If it isn't "normal" it will cause comment.

Ted Eschliman
Jun-04-2008, 5:51pm
Most people, especially beginners, want to fit in. They don't really want to be different. They either buy a mandolin that looks like everyone else's or they buy a mandolin that looks like the one their hero plays.
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/conformity.jpg

wannabethile
Jun-04-2008, 6:11pm
that mandolin that dan just posted is my dream mandolin. there may never be another to take its place. i love the finish, the three points, the torch and wire inlay... everything!! its the best one out there, in my opinion.

TonyP
Jun-04-2008, 7:21pm
Back in '80 when I first started listening to Grisman and to mandolin I didn't know there was anything but the Gibson F5. Until I started to see what was in stores and what I could afford. I bought what I could afford at the time and was pretty happy until I went to Grass Valley and my buddy Rick talked me into lookin' at mando's, with the excuse he was thinkin' about buying one. We went around the booth's and ended up at Michael Lewis's booth. He was just stringing up a DC model here (http://www.michaellewisinstruments.com/old/dc.php)
I was intrigued. Talk about not cookie cutter. That one was clear finish. Spruce top, walnut back and sides 3 point like a Rigel or Tele and carbon fiber x-braced too boot. Felt wonderful, and as Rick picked up one of the other mando's and we went through the various tunes we knew I wanted that mando soooo bad. Everything appealed. Unconventional design, beautiful workmanship, and tone/volume to die for. What else could you ask for? Only problem was being poor. I struggled and dreamed and did side deals for over a year, and finally got up the cash, only to find the mando of my dreams had been sold the day before. I ended up with my trusty Newson F5, not because that's what I was looking for, but it was the best I could find and it was all the $$ I had. A true champagne taste on a beer budget kinda story.

LeonEvans
Jun-04-2008, 10:04pm
Here's my Holst C5. A cross between an A and F with some jazz thrown in.

JeffD
Jun-05-2008, 8:25pm
I've always been a big fan of the snakehead A. #Basic, simple, elegant. #

Chip
Its hard for me to argue with that!

Aran
Jun-06-2008, 2:08am
I'm with Dan on the 3 point Gibbo's from early last century.

Lovely http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Geiss
Jul-25-2008, 7:09am
Does anyone known more about the maker of the Hoist C5 depicted above....Google give me no results and that instrument is haunting me!
Thanks.
Dave

Bill Snyder
Jul-25-2008, 7:20am
Holst Mandolins (http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/mandolins.htm)

Steve Davis
Jul-25-2008, 7:54am
My Avatar says it all. Gibson F4.

Timbofood
Jul-25-2008, 8:06am
They're ALL pretty! #That does not mean I want to own one of each but, I certainly want to test drive as many as possible. #I love the look of a '30's Chris Craft mahogany runabout too but, I don't really want to own one, a ride now and then would be just fine now and then, Thank you very much.
That Bacon is some kind of pretty! Currently doing some "test driving" of a dandy F-5. So far...loads of fun really good flat out!

billkilpatrick
Jul-25-2008, 8:19am
the acme of mandolin design for me is an oval hole "f."

Barb Friedland
Jul-25-2008, 8:42am
The original question wanted us to dig deeper than we have been. So let me take a stab at designing my dream mandolin. I am interested in a wide range of genres: classical, contemporary folk and Americana, bluegrass, jazz and swing. First and foremost then, my dream instrument is a very versatile hybrid.

It would probably have an Englemann spruce carved top, a big leaf maple carved back, with a compound radius fretboard. I'd like the neck profile to be like what I have on my BRW (a comfortable rounded V shape) and I'd like to have carbon fiber neck reinforcement. I'd like to try banjo sized stainless steel frets. Regular scale is fine with me. I did play a slightly wider than normal nut width a while back and appreciated it. I'd like a Brekke traditional bridge and a James tailpiece. I want a body the size of an F-style for volume but do not need a scroll. A 2 point would be dandy. It would have an oval hole; I have no firm preference on the bracing.

Here's what it would sound like: balanced and fabulous all the way up the neck. A tone that is not "woofy" but rather round and bell-like with terrific sustain. At the same time, it would be able to handle jazz style chord accompaniment.

On the strictly visual desires, it would probably be something akin to Weber's fabulous Desert Dawn color or maybe a blonde.

My dream mandolin design would include working with a small builder to achieve the sound qualities I'm looking for. Ben Wilcox and Austin Clark come to mind.

northfolk
Jul-25-2008, 9:01am
If you go strictly by looks, the F styles have it, hands down; especially the oval hole 3 point models; very nice? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

AlanP
Jul-25-2008, 10:03am
I personally like playing A style mandos because of the bang for the buck. F style is nice,..i like the scroll looks classy which most people think it's too.

I like the look of the oval hole mandos but prefer the sound of f holes mandos.

all in all, my fav' mando design would be a good ol' a style with f holes http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Glassweb
Jul-25-2008, 10:15am
here's my favorite design... duh...

first string
Jul-25-2008, 1:03pm
I have something pretty out of the ordinary coming from Austin Clark. Was going to be really out there...I mean a totally new design, but my F5 abandoned me, so we had to reign in the plans a bit so that it will at least be able to cover that sonic (I hate that word. Saying it makes me sound like a spaced out rock wannabe.) territory. Still should be fairly unusual as far as A5s go. Will post pictures when it's done of course.

woodwizard
Jul-25-2008, 1:21pm
DanB quote: I think the Gibson 3-points from right around 08-10 are the ones with the coolest style.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
The 3 pts. are my favorite design but my favorite sound comes out of the F5 - Loar signed ofcourse. Don't have either. I do have a Gibson F5(goldrush) that works pretty fine & dandy for me on oldtime, bluegrass celtic, and classical. Guess that'll have to do for now.

Keith Erickson
Jul-25-2008, 3:37pm
An "A" all the way #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

I like the look of an F but when I play an F I feel off balance like I'm wearing two different perscription lenses on a pair of glasses that are way off from each other.

I don't know how else to describe that feeling #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mandroid
Jul-25-2008, 3:51pm
of the less common I like Montelone's GA

and of the affordable, the Hodson D'jangolin.

Like also, Bill's Jazz-dola that Ted ordered ,
the Melondolin and the cheesehead special are also fun.

Caleb
Jul-26-2008, 2:55am
My favorite design is a carved top A-style with F-holes. Hard to beat the simplicity of that design IMO.

Capt. E
Jul-26-2008, 1:18pm
I love two points. Lyon and Healy made beautiful ones. I love my new Weber "Bighorn".

J in Austin

morristownmando
Jul-26-2008, 1:51pm
I think its hard to beat old monty.

Carleton Page
Jul-26-2008, 5:02pm
Would that be the full monty? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

groveland
Jul-26-2008, 5:21pm
I still think Rigel was onto something with the A+ Deluxe one-piece carved body, big radius neck, tapered headstock, big frets, bolt-on neck, rounded body edges... Those were innovations to me.

mdlorenz
Jul-26-2008, 5:22pm
I'm biased of course, but I love Joe Cleary's Mandolins (http://www.campanellastrings.com)

Mike Snyder
Jul-26-2008, 10:52pm
F5. Cookie cutter? Heck yeah, I love cookies.

pjlama
Jul-26-2008, 11:21pm
I'm really happy with my Giacomel, x-braced, Italian spruce and maple, small frets, radius board, waverlys, plates tuned to each other and a varnish so silky it feels like baby's skin. I play many styles and it works for anything perfectly, it's a true hybrid and work of art.

Jim MacDaniel
Jul-27-2008, 5:41pm
Like oflynny, I dig the two-points, and as of late I have been drooling over Austin Clark's cherry-cola finish...

Mike Snyder
Jul-27-2008, 9:34pm
You are so right jim, that Clark is so beautiful. Scroll envy fading............

man dough nollij
Jul-30-2008, 1:43am
Anyone play a Jason Harshbarger? I haven't heard a peep about them, except seeing them on the Mandolin Store's web site. This one is called the Icarus. Looks cool, with all-wood bindings.