PDA

View Full Version : Question: Sea Shanteys

SnapCut
May-28-2008, 10:58pm
In the Music by Genre section where would I put Sea Shantys?

mandroid
May-29-2008, 1:19am
I'd think, Given: the Irish and English seafaring folk are a source of a lot of songs,
Nova Scotia [is almost an Island] has a lot of tunes too.

my 2p , (.01$) the Celtic section a good host?

JEStanek
May-29-2008, 7:15am
SnapCut,
If this is another one of your videos it could go in the Song and Tune Projects section.

Jamie

Capt. E
May-29-2008, 9:24am
Have you looked at the board at www.concertina.net ? Is the mandolin an instrument for Sea Shanties? Hadn't thought about that. Heck, the mandolin is good for just about anything.

Tom C
May-29-2008, 9:36am
I have a friend who plays harmonica,constantina(sp?), etc. After a few <s>beers</s> hours of playing, we will break out into a few of these tunes.

Elliot Luber
May-29-2008, 10:21am
Drunken Sailor in E is a natural on Mandolin (goes with Whiskey Before Breakfast, I guess)

SnapCut
May-29-2008, 1:20pm
All of the ones that I've come a cross so far are great on a mandolin.

JeffD
May-29-2008, 3:37pm
I have been to the Sea Shanty festival at Mystic Seaport, on more than several occations. The jams and sing-alongs we had back at the campsite were amazing. Yea, sea shanties make fine jam tunes, and mandolins do them well.

Elliot Luber
May-29-2008, 3:43pm
I always thought it was spelled Sea Chanties as opposed to Shanties, but maybe I just got up too EARL-LIE IN THE MORNING.

JeffD
May-29-2008, 3:45pm
I always thought it was spelled Sea Chanties as opposed to Shanties, but maybe I just got up too EARL-LIE IN THE MORNING.
Well I have seen it many different ways. I figure if the great Stan Hugill can spell it "Shanties" I can but follow.