PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the rigels

RobP
May-23-2008, 12:43pm
I have one that I was thinking of listing too... but I think I will wait.

I wonder what's up?

Cheers,

Rob

Jonathan James
May-23-2008, 12:59pm
I don't think I'd read too much into it. Theoretically, they should be somewhat of a collector's item, since the company faded away last year and isn't making any more of them...

squirrelabama
May-23-2008, 1:01pm
I'm guessing its a combo of pure coincidence and the economy. People are selling all sorts of stuff these days. I regret letting mine go a few years back. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

jefflester
May-23-2008, 1:20pm
I don't think I'd read too much into it. Theoretically, they should be somewhat of a collector's item, since the company faded away last year and isn't making any more of them...
More like 2 years ago (Rigel closed August 2006). They don't seem to sell for collector-like prices.

mrmando
May-23-2008, 1:44pm
I'm guessing its a combo of pure coincidence and the economy. People are selling all sorts of stuff these days. I regret letting mine go a few years back. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Do you regret letting go of the one you traded to me, or subsequently letting go of the one you got from me in exchange?

Ted Eschliman
May-23-2008, 3:01pm
Curious... I only count 3 A+, 1 CT110, 1 G-110 (you can't really count the two Gold Tones...). I'm not sure that's a whole lot more being listed than when they were still being made. I also regret letting mine go, but there's certainly an abundance of viable choices currently on the market. Maybe we're all just dating each other's "recycled" prom dates.

jefflester
May-23-2008, 3:50pm
Curious... I only count 3 A+, 1 CT110, 1 G-110 (you can't really count the two Gold Tones...). I'm not sure that's a whole lot more being listed than when they were still being made.
I think the impression has as much (or more) to do with 2 of the A models going up in the span of 3 days.

Gutbucket
May-23-2008, 4:52pm
I just traded my S-100 at Elderlys for my Phoenix Bluegrass. There's no comparison in the two. The Rigel wasn't voiced for bluegrass,(which I primarily play). It was a nice mandolin, well made, and sounded nice, but didn't have the tone I usually look for in my mandolins.

Michael H Geimer
May-23-2008, 5:53pm
Rigel's were a step ahead of their time. They are perfect for the non-Bluegrass mandolin styles that are perhaps just around the corner. Great tone. Excellent playability, and useful electronics.

But as others have said, just not right for me.

Let's hope the best for the Mix mando's.

- MG

Jkf_Alone
May-23-2008, 8:59pm
i love the way they look, but i was just wondering the same thing. Gibson A styles seem to be all over the place for not very much $ as well.

man dough nollij
May-23-2008, 9:43pm
Being a noob, I wasn't here when Rigel closed up shop. Couldn't find anything in a search-- what was the deal? They seemed to be doing well, at least from the perspective of a casual observer.

Gutbucket
May-24-2008, 7:12am
They kind of went out on a limb and offered some models that weren't market friendly. An octave that met little favor and some other models. I think if they would have stuck to an "A' model and the S or CT series, they would have survived.

Brandon Flynn
May-24-2008, 7:45am
I like rigels designs, and I hope to acquire a CT110 or a G110 someday. I have heard so much about their playability that I must have one someday. Hopefully they won't be too expensive when I get one. Or maybe the company will start back up...

mando.player
May-24-2008, 8:22am
I've got the entry level Rigel, an A Natural. I can't imagine a time when I would want to sell it. It's the most playable mando I've laid hands on. It just fits my mits (there's a song title in there somewhere). I've often though about picking up a second Rigel, but from what I can tell the tone is pretty consistant across most of the models. The neck on my recently aquired Mann EM-5 reminds of a Rigel neck. Nice and chunky.

I suppose Peter and Pete could have stayed in business longer if they stuck with their base models. That being said, I can't imagine two creative and innovative people like that resting on their past achievements.

John Flynn
May-24-2008, 8:38am
Theoretically, they should be somewhat of a collector's item, since the company faded away last year and isn't making any more of them...

It's worth mentioning that Pete Langdell is still building Rigels as a custom builder. There is one at the link below and I've seen others. That may have some effect on Rigels becoming "collector's items."

I keep toying with the idea of selling my A+ Deluxe, just because I don't play it much anymore, but it's hard to part with.

http://www.themusicoasis.com/items....ail.htm (http://www.themusicoasis.com/items/folk~bluegrass-instruments/mandolins/rigel-aq-deluxe-mandolin-rigaqd-detail.htm)

JGWoods
May-24-2008, 8:46pm
I sent my Gibson A4 to Pete Langdell for tuner replacement- plug and drill the peghead, fix a notch in the neck, set up etc. and he did a thorough and fast job for very reasonable money. My ordinary A4 is now better than most in tone and volume.
He also serviced my Rigel Jethro when I sold it- for a very good buck- and he reset the neck on it for $50, it's easy to do I guess.

he's a fine fellow, and he told me he owns the name Rigel and that we may yet see more of them