PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle-draggin'

MaiaMorris
May-22-2008, 4:04pm
Well, I'm quite the mando newbie (nine months and counting; first instrument!) and I've been self-teaching for that time. (Don't worry, guys, starting lessons next month so I can stay away from all the bad habits!)

Just now, I was praticing my strumming and chord changes, which have been getting better, but still sounding a little thin and buzzy, though loud, on either end. That is, I'm not getting the volume out of all the strings properly. I just made the discovery that if I 'hug' the pick in my hand, leaving only the tip visible, loosen everything up, and strum away, my timing and my sound get a LOT better. But to do this, I get so close to the strings that my middle knuckle brushes across 'em. It doesn't affect the sound at all, because it hits the strings a millisecond before my pick does...but should this be happening? If not, what can I do to correct it, and what should I be doing instead to improve my chops?

Maia

Jim Broyles
May-22-2008, 4:12pm
Scroll down to the pictures in this (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=25;t=29025;hl=pick+&nbspand+compton) thread. I believe if you stick as close to this as you can, you will feel and hear an improvement in your sound.

MaiaMorris
May-22-2008, 4:15pm
Sweet! I'm lookin' pretty close to that (thanks to Instructional Chris Thile and a mirror). I suppose Mando Knuckle will be a badge of my musicianship from now on along with these killer calluses. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MaiaMorris
May-22-2008, 4:18pm
To add: just read the last post in that thread, and someone else mentions the usefulness of the Chris Thile DVD regarding pick grip. For such a difficult DVD in general, it sure does break down some of the basics well.

Chiledog
May-26-2008, 5:25pm
Jim, thanks for the link to the excellent thread! #I have been wondering about the right hand technique that would be considered "mando" technique as opposed to "guitar" technique. #At this point I kinda played like "Sweet Pete"...I just play 'em! #However I did pick up my mando and try the grips suggested. #I could tell a difference in the tone for sure. #I will be working on it.

Maia, I am a noob to this instrument as well, although in my case I also play guitar so my fingers are already calloused. #Well I say that, this $70 mando is putting the callouses to the test! #Best of luck, stick with it, and hope to see you around!

Peace All,
Todd

Jim Broyles
May-27-2008, 11:03am
FWIW, I do not subscribe to the "so loose it is in danger of falling out" theory of pick grip. I use a firm but not vise-like grip. I realize that it is hard to argue with the success of Chris Thile, but I can't get any tone or volume when I hold my pick that loosely.

MaiaMorris
May-27-2008, 12:56pm
I use a firm but not vise-like grip. I realize that it is hard to argue with the success of Chris Thile, but I can't get any tone or volume when I hold my pick that loosely.
I had the same experience you had (and many picks on the floor) before I found that if most of the pick is in your grip, and the fingers around the pick are firm in their shape but not clenching the pick, it'll move back and forth within that grip but not fall out. The only other thing I can compare it to is dancing. To have good swing-dancing form, you have to have a frame that's firm and not flimsy but ultimately gives with the right kind of pressure and takes cues immediately.

Makes no sense, really, but that's how I eventually found success with a loose grip. Can anyone explain this better? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif