PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded crossroads

bgmando
May-21-2008, 12:55pm
I'm contemplating a new mandolin to be built in a small shop.

# I've soon got to choose between red spruce top and Engelmann spruce. Which would you choose and why?

DryBones
May-21-2008, 12:59pm
take the road less traveled http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JEStanek
May-21-2008, 1:01pm
As I understand it (and this is based on conversations with the guys who built mine) is Engleman has a more complex tone but you can't drive it really hard without it compressing tonally. #Red can be driven harder without the compression with a drop in complexity.

Have you talked with your builder about what you want tonally and what s/he suggests for your top wood? #I guess if the builder feels they've gotten good results with each go for it, or ask for contact info for some of their buyers to get feedback on tonal sounds of thie mando by the builder vs other ones.

Jamie

EDIT: I prefer Engleman but I'm not a grasser. I have short neck oval holed instruments (flat top and arch toped in Engleman)

delsbrother
May-21-2008, 2:17pm
One leads down to destruction
The other to the pearly gates

Tim
May-21-2008, 3:11pm
I read on the cafe several years ago that if you can't justify the "why" of custom specs, you probably can save money on a stock instrument. #I promptly cancelled my position on the wait list and got my deposit back.

Hans
May-21-2008, 4:39pm
If you want bluegrass tone, red spruce is the choice. Jamie has it about right with the Englemann. Not to say that you can't use Englemann for bluegrass, but the tone is different (generally speaking).

scgc.om
May-21-2008, 5:21pm
IIRC: #Andrew Collins (Creaking Tree & Foggy Hog Town Boys) moved from Red Spruce to Engleman for his last two Heidens. #

To me, it sure sounds like BlueGrass when he plays his Engleman-topped mandolins. #[BTW: #I heard he sold his Engleman A (keeping his Engleman F) - Is this true??]

Now if we could just get Andrew himself to chime in here #. . . .

Siminole
May-21-2008, 5:48pm
I have an old Englemann top and I really enjoy the tone. I would have a discussion with the builder on exactly what sound you are looking for in a custom instrument. Good Luck.

Al

mindology
May-21-2008, 6:03pm
I have owned both and I prefer the Red spruce because of its midrange bite. I think that might be why it is sometimes preferred to be a more "bluegrass" type of tone. A good accompaniment to the red spruce is red maple... maybe it is a red thing?

You know, I wished I could afford to have several mandos with different wood configurations. This would help my need to want to hear something different from time to time. However, I have been the happiest with the red spruce

sgarrity
May-21-2008, 6:03pm
Id go with what your builder knows the best and is comfortable with

JEStanek
May-21-2008, 6:17pm
I think many builders work with both (I had several top wood choices with each of mine) and went with one over the other based upon tonal choices.

You need more of a conversation with your builder than with us, I think. S/He will know what their instruments made from each sound like.

Jamie

bgmando
May-21-2008, 6:28pm
I've been spelling Engelmann spruce wrong, I think, since several variations turn up in Google. But going with this version now and edited original post.

I am having conversations with the builder.

Just looking for extra input, thanks all.

bg

troika
May-21-2008, 6:47pm
I've owned several mandolins over the years, always searching for the holy grail. As I've become a better picker I have learned to pick up the nuances of different topwoods. I have to say that I really enjoy the warm bell-like tones I get out of my Englemann-topped Altman. It's the one I would bring to a 'desert island'. My Collings MF5 has a gorgeous adirondack top and may be a tad louder, but doesn't have quite as much "mojo". Of course the builder makes all the difference in the world. Mr. Altman sold me on the particular englemann he planned to use. It had been milled over 100 years ago and was very stable and extremely stiff. He described it as almost "petrified". Bob carves his tops pretty thin. This particular mandolin was carved thinner than any Adirondack mandolin I've owned and is still extremely stable. It has a fantastic hollow tone with great sustain.

Salty Dog
May-21-2008, 8:55pm
If you want the "woody Gibson like" sound, red cedar is the choice. #If you want something that is a little less "woody" but brighter, engelmann is a choice. #Both my BRWs have engelmann tops and they can fight off a banjo as well as any red cedar topper that I have heard in a bluegrass environment. #I also think the way the builder tunes the top is also a significant factor.