PDA

View Full Version : Weber octar and mandocello

Barb Friedland
May-19-2008, 4:41pm
I just happened upon sound clips of these instruments at the Mandolin Store. Besides the fact that the jazz guitar body style is incredibly cool, these have incredible sound. I particularly love the rich sound of the mandocello. Has anybody out there actually played one of these new Weber instruments? I'm thinking they may be #available only by custom order. #Anyone know if that's true?

Gutbucket
May-19-2008, 5:52pm
Got one on stand-by at Greg Boyd's. I should get the Octar sometime in July, hopefully. I'm not sure if these are custom orders or limited production. I emailed Elderly about this, but never got a response.

Gerry Cassidy
May-19-2008, 6:46pm
I had the pleasure of playing both of the ones mentioned at the Mando Store. The sound is more guitar'ish than the standard A, or Teardrop styled bodies. Still, they don't sound like a guitar strung like a Cello, or OM like some I've played. They are both very full sounding instruments and would be top of the line in an accompaniment situation. Very full with the larger body, yet very good differentiation, or clarity of each course.

I believe they are available in limited, or custom order numbers. Dennis was on the phone with Weber while I was playing one and I was trying to talk them into doing an oval, or D style soundhole version. They weren't buying it... *sigh* http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Gutbucket
May-19-2008, 6:48pm
I think an oval hole version would be sweet! Wonder why they wouldn't go with that? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Barb Friedland
May-19-2008, 7:12pm
I just got a direct response from a guy at the Mandolin Store. He says both instruments are "very custom". Unless the bracing causes problems with it, I would think an oval might be possible. I know that Santa Cruz is marketing a mandocello with an oval hole. Check that out here: http://www.santacruzguitar.com/acousticguitars/details/mandocello.html

Gutbucket
May-19-2008, 7:51pm
The one I have a hold on is the Weber Gallatin model with Mahogany back and sides. I've always loved the sound Tim O'brien gets from his. It's a totally different tone then the Celtic style tear drop shaped ones.

Barb Friedland
May-19-2008, 8:18pm
The one I have a hold on is the Weber Gallatin model with Mahogany back and sides. I've always loved the sound Tim O'brien gets from his. It's a totally different tone then the Celtic style tear drop shaped ones.
I just listened to the sound clips of the Gallatin Octar on the Greg Boyd site - sweet! Let us know how you like it when you have it, Gutbucket.

Gutbucket
May-20-2008, 6:32am
Will do, I'm going to call Greg today for an update.

good_ol_al_61
May-21-2008, 12:39pm
Mandogal:

Where do you live? I may be able to get my Eastman Mandocello in your hands so you can test drive yourself.

Barb Friedland
May-21-2008, 3:38pm
Mandogal:

Where do you live? I may be able to get my Eastman Mandocello in your hands so you can test drive yourself.
Al,
I'm in Louisville... too far to get at your Eastman but I sure would like to know what you think of it. It's on my shortlist of mandocellos. Can you post a soundclip of it?

good_ol_al_61
May-22-2008, 7:25am
I do not have the proper equipment for a soundclip. I have tried with terrible success. I sent you a PM off board.