PDA

View Full Version : Winter Bluegrass Weekend

Joe F
Feb-05-2004, 9:04am
After several years of putting it off (mostly due to other conflicts), I'm attending my first BG Festival -- the MBOTMA Winter Bluegrass Weekend in Plymouth, MN on March 5-7.

Since this will be my first festival, I'm wondering what to expect. #I know there will be concerts and lots of jamming, but what else goes on there? #In particular, since I live fairly close and won't be staying at the hotel, I'm wondering if it's OK to be dragging my mandolin case around with me to all the events (Minnesota, even in early March, is too cold to leave the instrument in the car).

Is there a particular etiquette that needs to be observed when locating and then joining an on-going jam?

Any other Mandolin Cafe folks planning to be there?

Bill James
Feb-05-2004, 2:26pm
Hey Joe,
OK to drag your mandolin around as you never know when a jam will break out. In the evening there's a wing full of conference rooms cleared out just for jamming. You walk down the hall, sticking your head in doors as you go. When you hear one you like, jump in. It's a veritable smorgasbord of jamming. Never been there on Friday but on Sat night the jams are in full swing.

Joe F
Feb-06-2004, 4:15pm
Bill,
Unfortunately, Saturday night is the one time that I won't be able to make it. #I'm planning on Friday afternoon and evening, and possibly Sunday as well.

Farmer Dave
Feb-07-2004, 12:15am
I'll be there, Saturday for sure and perhaps Friday too. I live about an hour south so won't be staying overnight. Maybe Cafe'ers can meet up somewhere.

jessboo
Feb-27-2004, 1:24pm
I'll be there with a fiddle playing buddying tow. I'll be the one playing the Elliott a model. Will be there friday nite and part of saturday.

Big Joe
Feb-27-2004, 5:43pm
I'm an old ex MBOTMA member. There will be both concerts and jams. You can carry your instrument with you and you just never know when a jam may break out. MBOTMA is a great organization with lots of great members. I wish Nasville has a bluegrass association. I hope you have a great time. I think Lawson Peets from our division will be there. Look him up and get him and Roudy to jam with you.

AlanN
Feb-27-2004, 7:41pm
Hey Joe,

I've had some mandolin tabs for years from the MBOTMA, written by a guy Mark Briere, know him?

Bill James
Feb-27-2004, 11:14pm
Mark Briere yes, he's never far from the local scene.

Big Joe, I heard Lawsan Peets would be there. I hope to meet him.

MBOTMA is such a great organization. We're very lucky to have such a great local Bluegrass and Old TIme scene here in the twin cities. Lots of jams, concerts and great festivals.

goldtopper
Feb-28-2004, 11:14am
I'm always at that one. A great festival. I tried to get a room in the first week of Feb and they were sold out. I was shocked, I've always called then. I think I'll be bunking with the bass player from 'Sotagrass- that or driving from St. Paul 3 times!.
This festival is so safe and friendly, you could leave an instrument laying around and it would be there when you returned.
Don't miss the Sunday Gospel service or the Sunday Buffet. Both are excellent, and to me, make my weekend.

Big Joe
Mar-01-2004, 2:56pm
Lawson will be known by some of you. He had a music store in Osseo for many years till he sold it in the late 80's to move to Nashville. He is planning on being there with his new Doyle Lawson mandolin. Stop by and see him. He'll be happy to pick a tune with you. I wish I could join him. I'd really love to attend your new camp this August. I don't know if that will happen though. I really miss the old Zimmerman festivals.

Ted Eschliman
Mar-01-2004, 3:32pm
He is planning on being there with his new Doyle Lawson mandolin. #
Huh?
Surely "Rowdy" isn't going into retirement...
Say it isn't so!

BigJoe
Mar-01-2004, 11:27pm
Not at all. Just in for its 30,000 mile checkup http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . If it is ready in time it may be shipped to him also. You should see the back on his Lawson though. I thought he should name it "Lawson's Lawson". He did not see much humor in that. No telling for taste!

jessboo
Mar-05-2004, 7:56am
Huray we're on uor way to St Paul. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Joe F
Mar-06-2004, 1:23pm
Friday night at the festival was quite a first experience! #In a word: overwhelming (but fun). #Lots of jams going on everywhere you looked, more mandolins than I've ever seen in one place before, and a general festive atmosphere.

I wandered around the place for a while, just to get the feel of it all, and then went to see "Switched at Birth", Mark Briere's band. #(Not only do I know Mark very well, he has also been my mandolin teacher for the past several years). #I also got to meet Hans Brentrup and sample one of his 23V instruments (with, I think, an Italian spruce top). #They are everything everyone says about them, and more. #Incredible tone, action like butter, and flawless workmanship.

Sat in on a jam or two on the upper level, and finally headed for home around 1:30 AM. #Most of the jams seemed to have a very high level of musicianship, so I pretty much hung in the background and chopped along.

I can't make it there today, due to another commitment, but I hope to get back tomorrow.

jessboo
Mar-07-2004, 9:31am
First Lawson didn't have Roudy with him. But Lawson's Lawson was an awsome mandolin best one at the gibson table. that was room b.room c had Hans Brentrup just inside the door. Lloyd Laplant by the windows and Greg Boyd on the far wall. this made the room a little bit of heaven right there in Minn. Hans mandolins are everything your ever heard about and more. I loveded his Cover girl and his answer to the Prodigy A5. Hans is a true gentleman and a great guy to talk to. Lloyd's mandolin and guitars were every where. Played 2 or 3 of them WOW they were all great. Picked a few tunes with Lloyd Sat after noon with Guy Dollinger on fiddle what a treat. Lloyd is great guitar player and Guy has never sounded better. Greg Boyd's booth was hard to drag my self away from. I told the wife he gave me the 95 A5G just to get rid of me. Every mandolin he had out I played. The Smart, the Givens and the Sullian all stood out.I could go on but this is already to long. it was a great fest if you've never been there next year you should try to be there. (no Hans has never made a blonde mandolin!!!!!!) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Joe F
Mar-08-2004, 9:53am
I never made it back to the Festival on Sunday. #

After 18 years of home ownership, you think I would have learned that there is no such thing as a "quick" plumbing project.

Bill James
Mar-08-2004, 11:14am
Joe,
I can relate. My wife asked me to replace the door on the barn on Sat. I thought "oh well, couple of hours", yeah right. I didn't get to the festival until 5:00 pm and I still had work to finish up on Sun.

There was a lot of mandolins. Dang! I wish woulda had more time!