PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood - poe mando, #what to do?

mtmilam
May-15-2008, 11:23pm
Hey Guys, In 2004 I had Andrew Poe build me a wonderful Driftwood Mando, blonde #8 (F style). Andrew even made a inlay with a Marlin "jumping in the Moonlight". #All the bells and whistles. #I even took lessons for a year and learned about 15 tunes. #The problem is I don't play anymore and Probably won't, just didn't have the nack for it. #It just seems like it needs to be owned by someone who will play it.

The Question is: Should I sell it/and how much is it worth?? OR #Do I keep it just to take it out of the case and admire it's beauty. #It really is a work of art. I used to hang out here alot a few years back, so any Opinions are welcomed.

allenhopkins
May-16-2008, 12:46am
Instruments are meant to be played. #I'd think that such a beautiful mandolin would inspire one to do more than "take it out of its case and admire it." #Looking at it makes me want to pick it up and play Cherokee Shuffle ASAP.

But -- if you're absolutely certain that you're not going to play it, I think you should get it in the hands of someone who will.

F5G WIZ
May-16-2008, 2:38am
I would think that your mandolin is worth quite a bit more than you paid for it. #I own Poe #5 and I have it insured for more than twice what I payed for it because that is what it would take to replace it with another Poe with the same appointments. #Also there are no more Driftwoods being made, you have one of only 22. #I love the headstock inlay on your mandolin. #I have seen pictures of the inlay but not of the rest of the mandolin. #Please post some other pictures if you can. #I wish I had the money to buy yours if it was for sale! # Weather you sell it or not is ultimately up to you but a wonderful instrument like that should be played by someone. #Hey I've heard of old Loars that set under someones bed for 70 years not being played. #Would love to see some more pictures though!

Steve Davis
May-16-2008, 6:34am
I'd be happy to play it for you until such time as you wanted it back.

Chris Biorkman
May-16-2008, 7:09am
I would say that if you aren't playing it and have no intention of doing so, you should sell it. Like Darrin said, you will probably be able to get much more for it than you originally payed and it's a shame for a nice instrument to just sit in its case.

mtmilam
May-16-2008, 8:09am
Here is the Headstock inlay, Sorry for the dust reflecting in the flash. LOL, shows how much I play it, darn it.

Rick Cadger
May-16-2008, 9:13am
Wow.

blacksmith
May-16-2008, 9:22am
Excuse me, flattop, but it's not wow. It's WOW!

BlueMountain
May-16-2008, 9:23am
Photograph it well, write a good description of it, along with information about the builder and a link to his web site, then put it up for sale on eBay, starting at $1, with no reserve. There are enough people who know the quality of these mandolins that it will probably sell for what it should sell for (though the price may go up a lot in the last seconds, so be patient). Generally, a used high-end mandolin sells for about 2/3rds of the new price, it seems to me (which is why I generally buy them used), but as Andy's price has gone up quite a bit and most people don't know the old price, you could end up selling it for more than you paid. That works a lot better than asking us what it's worth.

red7flag
May-16-2008, 11:17am
I really believe instruments are meant to be played. While yours has a strong case for being art, I still believe that its true beauty is when played.
Tony

Steve-o
May-16-2008, 11:38am
I'm going to take the other side. I know it pains players to see a well crafted instrument idled, but if mtmilam thoroughly enjoys it as art (or a collectable), then I think he should cherish it as one would a Rembrandt. So mtmilam, it's up to you to decide how much you value it as art. Personally, I value my Poe as both a fine players instrument and art.

CES
May-16-2008, 11:51am
Any chance you'll ever play again? If so, hang onto it, b/c if you do decide to pick it back up it would stink to go from such a quality instrument to a "cheapo" to tide you over until you were sure whether you really had the bug again or not. If you're pretty sure you're not, then I'd consider selling it and putting the cash towards what you're into now (or debt, if you have any and want to be "responsible" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif . I played tenor sax for about 10 years on and off, and while I loved it, my tastes changed, and after much consideration I sold it for a profit, which then became a banjo and a new set of shocks for my truck (looking back, wish I'd put it all into an instrument, but you do what ya gotta do). I'm comfortable with that decision now, but it took me a couple of years to reach the point where I was sure I was OK with letting it go.

Lee
May-16-2008, 12:01pm
From your timeline, you probably took possession in late 2004/early 2005, took lessons for a year, and I guess you played a bit after that. So it's probably been idle 1-1/2 years. I'd say too short a time to determine you'll never pick it up again. They say all the cells in your body change every seven years...

JEStanek
May-16-2008, 12:44pm
Don't let you lack of knack for it keep you from enjoying your instrument. If you keep it in the case leave it out, hang it on a wall. You may find yourself holding it every now and again. This may lead you back to playing (however poorly you may feel you are at it). If playing gives you any satisfaction, even from strumming a few chords to yourself, its worth keeping. Go to shows or listen to CDs that inspire you, but realize you don't have to play like them, just like you.

If all that fails, you likely won't have too many problems selling it.

Jamie

Steve-o
May-16-2008, 4:40pm
From your timeline, you probably took possession in late 2004/early 2005, took lessons for a year, and I guess you played a bit after that. #So it's probably been idle 1-1/2 years. #I'd say too short a time to determine you'll never pick it up again. They say all the cells in your body change every seven years...
Lee, you make a good point. My wife gave me my first mando as a graduation gift. At that point in my life, I didn't have the time or interest in pursuing it. #Sixteen years later I got inspired, picked it up, and haven't put it down since... of course the footnote to add is my regret for not playing even 15 minutes a day all those years! The point is, life has its seasons.

F5G WIZ
May-16-2008, 4:47pm
Even if you decide to hang on to it and not play it, the value of such a fine instrument is only going to go up. Unless you really are strapped for the cash and in need of some qick money, hold on to it, heck if anything else you may have a child or grandchild that may want to learn to play in the future. What a great family heirloom to pass on to a RESPONSIBLE mature child.

Brad Weiss
May-16-2008, 7:01pm
If you sell it, you'll get a good deal for it, I'm sure. #And then you will spend that money, and #-unless you have something specific, and costly that you want to put that money into #-you will have little to show for what you had in a very short amount of time. #If you need the money for something worthwhile, that's a pressing reason. But my guess is, as you once had the money to commission a hand-made instrument, and the taste to recognize an up and coming maker whose work is not cheap and highly prized, without even knowing how to play the mandolin, then you probably had strong feelings about this instrument, and can probably afford to keep it (this is sheer speculation on my part, but you give some evidence of that). #Sell it, and you'll soon have little to show for having once owned this; keep it and you can't forget it. #You might even find pleasure in finding a great player with a lesser mandolin who you lend this out to on occasion (I'm not trolling! I'm a perfectly average player with plenty of nice mandolins already!)

Sadly, I speak from personal experience....

Byrdmando
May-16-2008, 7:22pm
Hang on to it.

mtmilam
May-16-2008, 8:44pm
Thanks Guys for all the advice.
Everyone made some good points. I don't really have to sell it financially speaking, but I've come to the conclusion that I would like someone to purchase it who really will play it, It's just not made to sit in its case.

Its a wonderful instrument and to get a new one like it today with all the options, would run someone about 6700.00 and a year or more wait. I guess 5500.00 is a fair price. I'll put it in the class. and see what happens, if it sells fine, if not, then I still a have a wonderful Mandolin. I do a lot of sailing and offshore fishing, so maybe I just may have to play it on the boat:D

Thanks again for all the advice,

Mark M

Ken Olmstead
May-16-2008, 9:06pm
That thing is drop dead gorgeous! If you ever do "get back into it" that one is irreplacable. You really should be absolutely sure, like Allen said. But if not, let someone else enjoy it fully, visually AND musically! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

RobP
May-17-2008, 2:54am
Wow.. thats beautiful. I say start learning a new tune and keep it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

F5G WIZ
May-17-2008, 8:21am
Well as long as you are happy with your decision. Someone is going to get a one of a kind instrument. Is the back quilted like the sides? Good luck with everything, especially the fishin'! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mtmilam
May-17-2008, 5:30pm
Thanks Guys,

Yes the back is quilted, Here is a shot of it.

Mark M.

TNFrank
May-17-2008, 5:33pm
DO NOT sell it. You're going to regret it if you do. It's a beautiful, one of a kind mando that you'll never replace. Hang onto it. Now if it was a massed produced $500 buck mando like an Epi MM-50 or Morgan Monroe then it'd be a different story but I've NEVER seen anything as nice as what ya' have there. Keep it, learn to play(even if it takes a few years) and enjoy it.

Steve-o
May-17-2008, 7:12pm
Wow Mark. That is a gorgeous and very unique mando. Too bad I am not currently in the market. There's gonna be one happy buyer out there (hopefully a fisherman)!

Patrick Sylvest
May-17-2008, 7:22pm
I'm only a hundred miles from ya'. Can I come over and pick on 'er?

I'd keep it. There's a new BG jam in Arnaudville, LA. Why don't you scoot on over and noodle about?

Best of luck with your decision http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif