PDA

View Full Version : Billy lee mandolins

recon
May-15-2008, 1:48pm
Cafe searches and google have been unsuccessful. Would anyone like to share what you know about Billy Lee mandolins?

recon
May-15-2008, 7:57pm
shameless bump

MikeEdgerton
May-15-2008, 9:27pm
I haven't found anything in a search.

recon
May-15-2008, 9:34pm
Thanks for looking Mike.

allenhopkins
May-16-2008, 12:51am
Same here. Lots of references to bluegrass musicians named "Billy Lee Something," but no direct connects with mandolin builders (though a few tantalizing hints, such as here (http://mandolin.tribe.net/thread/b9e68337-4798-494c-85d4-05c51dd0b324)).

Try a phone call to George Gruhn in Nashville, (615)256-2033. He's probably seen a mandolin by every builder in America at one time or another.

wes green
Aug-16-2015, 8:09pm
A little late on the reply but....i own a Billy Lee mandolin that was made in 1992 and which i have owned since '95. it's my main instrument and has a great tone and power. i have compared it to many luthier-made instruments and find it holds it's own against most. on the other hand its a rather homely instrument and the workmanship isn't perfect with some varnish drips on the neck and roughly laid bindings. but it's all about sound and play-ability for me. of the 2 or 3 other Lee's i have played, this one is the best. i also have a 1982 kentucky LM-1500 as a backup.

now about Billy Lee. he is (was) a fiddler from Wright City MO. when i met him in '95 i would say he was well into his 70's and must certainly be retired by now. i believe he mostly built fiddles and his age might be the reason that the workmanship was a little rough on my instrument. i hope that helps. i have a photo of it on my blog and some videos available on my website. check it out if you are interested www.wesgreen.com