PDA

View Full Version : Michael kelly a-solid vs. kentucky km 160

full.time.mom
May-09-2008, 11:54am
Hi,
I'm not a musician and I'm considering getting my husband a mandolin for our anniversary. #I think I've narrowed it down to the Michael Kelly A-Solid ($299 with a gig bag at local guitar store) or the Kentucky KM 160 ($249 for one with a ding on the finish, includes hard case, tuner, instruction dvd and book from reputable internet dealer). #Both come with thorough set up.

Any thoughts on which is a better choice for a beginner? #Any ideas on strengths/weadnessess of each? #I've gotten this far, but I'm not really sure how to make this decision. #I tend to be a bargain hunter, so the Kentucky appeals to me. #But I also think it's good to have a local shop that will stand behind the instrument. #HELP!

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts, suggestions, expertise, experience, etc.

Eric F.
May-09-2008, 11:59am
What a nice wife your husband has!

Either of those should make a fine starter mandolin. I suppose you could use the $50 savings on the Kentucky to buy your husband a lesson or some instructional material.

Bob Wiegers
May-09-2008, 12:04pm
oh you rock! is the guitar store a big box or an actual locally-owned? if it's local, I'd go with that, due to the service aspect.

one warning: be prepared for an onslaught of "save up for a better one". please ignore these well-intentioned posts.

full.time.mom
May-09-2008, 1:10pm
Thank you for the compliments, but I'm the one who got the good end of the deal in this marriage! The fact that he's stuck with me for 19 years is worth WAY more that a mandolin, but the mandolin is all I can afford! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

The local shop is a small, boutique guitar store outside of Nashville where my son takes electric bass lessons. I've gotten to know the owner and she assures me they'll take care of us. In fact, the gig back is something she added as a bonus. Maybe I should ask her for a discount on a hard case or a stand instead since the gig bag really isn't of much use to us.

I talked to someone else who said the Kentucky had a truer, bluegrass tone than the MK. But, he also said the MK has a rich, fuller sound that's nice for playing solo, which is all my hubby will be doing. Is it likely that a begining player won't notice the difference?

Jim Broyles
May-09-2008, 1:16pm
ftm, did somebody go with you to play the MK? I would definitely go with the local shop, especially if she'll do you a good deal on a hard case.

F5GRun
May-09-2008, 1:38pm
I would go for the MK as well. The kentucky may be set-up, but things happen when it gets shipped and it may be a little off when you get it. And the Local Shop aspect is great. Places like that will tend to cut you a break on almost everything down the line, like strings and misc. stuff if they know you have bought an instrument from them. Good Luck and Congrats...Make sure you husband signs up here at the Cafe and to post photos when he gets its http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bob Wiegers
May-09-2008, 1:57pm
in my opinion, unless he's already musically adept, by the time he can discern the difference in tone b/w an MK and a KY, he'd probably be able to justify an upgrade. which is to say: probly doesnt matter at this point.

TNFrank
May-09-2008, 2:11pm
I wanted the MK A-Solid but my wife wouldn't let me spend that much on my first mando so I got the MM-30 Epi instead. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

full.time.mom
May-09-2008, 2:24pm
If it weren't an anniversary present, I might not be spending this much either! Seriously, over the years, one thing I've learned is that you get what you pay for and I'd rather put the money into the best beginning instrument I can. That's why I want to get a solid wood instrument, not laminate.

Jim Broyles
May-09-2008, 2:54pm
Not only generous, but intelligent too! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Caleb
May-10-2008, 11:43am
I recommend the Kentucky. Kentuckys generally get good reviews here by most of their owners, while I can't recall reading very many positive posts regarding MK mandolins. I have owned a Kentucky and really liked it. Either way it's a mandolin and it'll get him on his way to making music. Hope it all works out.

MandoBen
May-10-2008, 12:48pm
I feel like both those mandos are comparable in quality and function. If they were side by side in the local store, I would say save the $50 and get the Kentucky, but as it is, I would advise you to get the MK from the local store rather than deal with an internet seller. No matter how reputable they may be, so many things can go wrong with a mail order instrument, you just won't get the same service that you can from the local shop.
The plethora of positives is too plentiful to post http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandroid
May-10-2008, 1:05pm
At that price point, playability comes from having it set up properly
by the shop that you buy it from, rather than which brand you buy.

both need it and should be part of the dealers job to provide it as such.
avoid the warehouse mailorder only sellers for that reason ,
no one opens the carton in this country to spot the klinkers
that should have been sent back to the importer, instead of you.

pager
May-10-2008, 3:23pm
First of all, you sound like an angel! Partners that support music are a gift unto themselves. I have a Kentucky and I really love it during times I don't want to haul out my Collings. But - I agree with most of the posts here. I would go with the MK from the local store and let your husband be the one that gets to put the 'first' ding in the mandolin. That is an honor that every budding muscian should get to do! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

full.time.mom
May-11-2008, 6:55pm
Thank you all very much for the advice! This has been a wonderful introduction to the MandolinCafe forum.:)

TNFrank
May-11-2008, 7:36pm
Let me put it this way. If my "upgrade" in mandolin isn't an Epi MM-50 then it'll for sure be something in the MK line. I've always like to be "brand" loyal and since I've got the Epi MM-30 the 50 would be my logical choice but the MK line has some really nice looking, well built mandos that just may sway me to their side.

Jim MacDaniel
May-11-2008, 7:50pm
They are both good instruments for a beginner, but since you have an opportunity to support a local independent music store, my vote is for the Michael Kelly. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Tim2723
May-12-2008, 9:25am
Between the two instruments it really comes down to where you buy. You can support your local music store and, more importantly, you'll have their customer support. I'd vote for the MK.

Oh, and welcome to the Cafe!!

Jkf_Alone
May-12-2008, 2:55pm
MK as well, i play a kentucky, but the MK's i have tried sound fine. plus you will have a local shop to help him out.

flatout
May-18-2008, 9:36am
Did you choose a mandolin for your husband yet?

earthsave
May-18-2008, 10:37am
Support local. Saves on shipping, can actually play/hear/handle before you buy, if in the unlikely event you have to return it, you dont have to ship it.

full.time.mom
May-18-2008, 11:59am
"Did you choose a mandolin for your husband yet?"

That's a good question with an interesting answer. #After reading all the great advice I was given here, I had decided I would go for the MK at the local shop, however in the interim we found out my husband has to have surgery to remove a small benign tumor. #So, I began thinking I shouldn't spend the $300 since we'll have to pay out a big chunk toward the deductible. #Then I received an email from someone who offered me his Washburn M3SW just for the cost of shipping. #That sounded too good to be true, but the short version of the story is that he sent me the instrument and it looked like new. #I had it checked out at the local shop where they declared it to be beautiful, in excellent condition and they said the action and tone were great. #The mandolin even came with a very nice hard case. #So I sent this incredibly generous man a check to cover his shipping and have vowed to tell the story of his generosity, as well as to pay it forward, whenever I have the chance! #God definitely works in mysterious ways to have brought this together in such a surprising way. #We are so blessed. #So I now have a lovely solid wood, f-style mandolin hidden away and plan to give it to my wonderful husband a week earlier than our anniversay. #That's when he's having the surgery and I figure he can use his recovery time at home to start learning to play! #Thanks to all for the wonderful advice and for introducing me to the world of mandolins and the people who love them! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Caleb
May-18-2008, 12:05pm
"Did you choose a mandolin for your husband yet?"

That's a good question with an interesting answer. #After reading all the great advice I was given here, I had decided I would go for the MK at the local shop, however in the interim we found out my husband has to have surgery to remove a small benign tumor. #So, I began thinking I shouldn't spend the $300 since we'll have to pay out a big chunk toward the deductible. #Then I received an email from someone who offered me his Washburn M3SW just for the cost of shipping. #That sounded too good to be true, but the short version of the story is that he sent me the instrument and it looked like new. #I had it checked out at the local shop where they declared it to be beautiful, in excellent condition and they said the action and tone were great. #The mandolin even came with a very nice hard case. #So I sent this incredibly generous man a check to cover his shipping and have vowed to tell the story of his generosity, as well as to pay it forward, whenever I have the chance! #God definitely works in mysterious ways to have brought this together in such a surprising way. #We are so blessed. #So I now have a lovely solid wood, f-style mandolin hidden away and plan to give it to my wonderful husband a week earlier than our anniversay. #That's when he's having the surgery and I figure he can use his recovery time at home to start learning to play! #Thanks to all for the wonderful advice and for introducing me to the world of mandolins and the people who love them! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
What a great story! You really do meet the greatest people on the mandolin cafe.