PDA

View Full Version : Tunings

fred d
May-08-2008, 7:12pm
I recently tuned my mandolins E,B,F,C IE Yank Rachell. All the music I play sounds similar scales,chords when I play the normal G,D,A,E. And Pull offs, slides, Hammer on's and temerols. sound great Is it just Me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif? any coments would be of help I love the sound. Musicly chalenged as well as spelling. 67 going on 7 or 170 thanks fred

alt_2ooning
May-08-2008, 9:20pm
Fred if you have tuned your mando #EBFC then my understanding is that Yank tuned his mando EBF#C# which is one and a half steps down from the common GDAE tuning ….therefore all the scale patterns as you would know them in GDAE #would be identical except one and a half step lower.

The #open G chord position #in GDAE tuning becomes E in EBF#C# and the open C becomes A….the D7 #becomes #B7 ….the three basic blues chords in the key of E.

However you wrote that you tune to EBFC which the notes would then be 3, 7, 4 or 11 ,and the Root note of the C scale ….meaning the tuning is very near an open #C Major 7th with an added 11th (the 5th is missing)…..however the scale pattern #on the 1st and 2nd string #would not be the same in this tuning as the scale pattern you know in the GDAE tuning…..interesting.......hopefully not confusing.

Anyway hope this is of some help.
Mike