PDA

View Full Version : We are discovered!

Jim Garber
Jun-24-2004, 9:02pm
I discovered this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=16404;st=0;r=1;&#entry166367) about, of all things, our little corner of the MC board.

Very funny how we are viewed by the rest of the mandolin community.

Jim

jasona
Jun-24-2004, 11:48pm
*taps on the glass, waves at Eugene* http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Seriously, even though I do not participate in the ongoing discussions in your corner of the Cafe, I do enjoy evesdropping. It is nice to read civilized discourse in the anarchy of the web, considering how rare it is in the world at large. And, you've challenged me to dust off my old standard notation ability and I am reading music again--haltingly, at a 2nd grade level, mind you.

Wanders off for another scotch

Alex Timmerman
Jun-25-2004, 4:56am
Wonderful, there is a lot we can learn from eachother.

Greetings to all,

Alex

Eugene
Jun-25-2004, 6:07am
Not much to add but a wave back Jason's way. After your recent search, it may interest you to know, Jason, that I am starting a big new day-job gig in August.

vkioulaphides
Jun-25-2004, 6:53am
[QUOTE]"...I am starting a big new day-job gig in August."

Well, my friend, this may simply call for TWICE the glass-tapping, salutation-waving, and all sorts of expressions of applause and congratulation.

All the best!

Bob A
Jun-25-2004, 7:14am
*Bob smooshes mouth and nose to glass, makes gross faces*

Which side of the fishtank am I on, anyway?

By all means, let joy reign unconfined. And tell us about the gig, Eugene!

Jim Garber
Jun-25-2004, 7:15am
*taps on the glass, waves at Eugene* #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Come on in, have a cup of coffee, sit down and tune up. Nice to be discovered.

Jim

Jack Roberts
Jun-25-2004, 10:40am
Last night at my bluegrass jam the guitar player commented on my progress. "You must be practicing all the time." (?!)

"Yup" I drawled.

The fact is, I play bluegrass two hours a week, at the jam only, and I never practice bluegrass.

I practice Bach about an hour each day, though. I'm glad the effort paid off. They orignally asked me to play with them because they needed the mandolin to complete a "look", but they never asked me to play a break. Now I am asked to play solo breaks in almost every piece. Little do they know that most of my riffs come from Bach's Cello Suites...

Jack

vkioulaphides
Jun-25-2004, 11:04am
You are in good company, Jack. Allegedly, folks like Chopin and Franck never practiced anything but Bach— not even their own compositions!

I, bore-by-conviction that I am, practice virtually nothing but scales, arpeggios, and string-crossings— on the bass, that is. Everything else, including the voluminous repertoire at the opera, I simply read'n'learn.

Maybe some day I will practice actual music again...

Eugene
Jun-25-2004, 11:45am
You are in good company, Jack. Allegedly, folks like Chopin and Franck never practiced anything but Bach— not even their own compositions!
That's odd...I'd heard that Chopin and Franck only practiced bluegrass and played their own compositions two hours each week.

PS: Just kidding.

Tom C
Jun-25-2004, 11:49am
I always press the "New Posts" button so I read everything from all sections.
I assumed this was what most people did.

psann
Jun-25-2004, 12:00pm
Me too, Tom. I was also surprised to realize that has not been standard operating procedure.

John Bertotti
Jun-25-2004, 1:04pm
I didn't realize there was a new posts button. Must be living in a glass jar. Hey is that an echo. Wait, I'm stuck hey let me out. AAAHHHHHH!! John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

chirorehab
Jun-25-2004, 4:13pm
Wow!

I just did a tabledit search for Bach's Cello Suite!

Wow!

I can't wait to get home to practice that!

Thanks guys, for opening my mind up!

Eric

jasona
Jun-26-2004, 12:21pm
Not much to add but a wave back Jason's way. #After your recent search, it may interest you to know, Jason, that I am starting a big new day-job gig in August.
Congratulations Eugene! Will this new job require you to move, or has it been a change of venue there in Columbus?

Jack Roberts
Jun-27-2004, 12:38pm
I, bore-by-conviction that I am, practice virtually nothing but scales, arpeggios, and string-crossings— on the bass, that is.
Victor, you pretty much described much of Bach's music, didn't you?

I neglected to mention that I also practice "Defierncias" as well. I love it, but I wish I could play it well enough to fully enjoy it.

Jack

Jim Garber
Jun-30-2004, 9:37pm
I figured this is just another example of how out of the mainstream we are. Check out this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=16499;). Scroll almost to the bottom and see a photo of Carlo Aonzo playing a StewMac kit mandolin. On the white board are the words Vinaccia, Nonebacher and others of interest only to us. Looks like he was teaching a class in the iconography of the mandolin.

Jim