PDA

View Full Version : F4 by Mark Bluett

revray
Jun-24-2004, 8:12am
Here are some new pictures of my incredible F4 built by Mark Bluett. This is a great mandolin by any standard.

revray
Jun-24-2004, 8:14am
the back made from 90 year old maple

revray
Jun-24-2004, 8:15am
the peghead

AlanN
Jun-24-2004, 8:18am
mmmm, good! and boy, does that strap look great!

ira
Jun-24-2004, 8:36am
spectacular!

mandoaz
Jun-24-2004, 11:04pm
Congrats, man...That's one beautiful F4! I bet she sings as purty as she looks...

Unseen122
Jun-25-2004, 11:44am
If it palys as good as it looks you got one heck of a mando.

Lee
Jun-25-2004, 12:51pm
The string spacing on the oval-hole pic looks like a personal preference?
Man she's a looker!
What's the back; PA red maple?

revray
Jun-26-2004, 8:59am
Indeed, she sounds as beautiful as she looks. Mark told me the back is from some stock he obtained from the estate of an Italian violin maker and is about 95 years old (not counting the age of the tree itself). I assume it's a European species of some kind. Is there such a thing as Italian maple?

phiddlepicker
Jul-20-2004, 8:08pm
Hope I don't offend anyone......I was wondering revray if you know anything about the Bluett Brothers fiddles. I'm a mando picker, but I also play fiddle and was thinking of upgrading to a better instrument. I've read that the Bluett's make a great fiddle.
Please respond at your leisure, no hurry.
Thanks,
Phiddlepicker (Keith)

ira
Jul-20-2004, 8:18pm
this thing is spectacular.

mandomick
Jul-21-2004, 7:47pm
Hope I don't offend anyone......I was wondering revray if you know anything about the Bluett Brothers fiddles. I'm a mando picker, but I also play fiddle and was thinking of upgrading to a better instrument. I've read that the Bluett's make a great fiddle.
Please respond at your leisure, no hurry.
Thanks,
Phiddlepicker (Keith)
Hey Phiddler, I don't think you need to worry about not getting a great fiddle from Mark.(though I'm not a fiddler) When I was picking up my F5 he had his 300th fiddle in the white and has over 300 mandos under his belt also. I'm pretty sure that if you can describe the sound you're looking for, he'll give it to you.

Not sure about his fiddles but when you buy a Bluett mandolin you get 3 months to decide if you want to keep it. If not, he'll build you another.

BTW revray, fine looking F4.

revray
Jul-29-2004, 7:26am
Here is a close up of the grain in the back.

krishna
Aug-01-2004, 3:19pm
You are one blessed human.. I cant believe the 3 month return thing though. I bet no one has ever taken him up on it. What is the story with the string spacing thing...

revray
Aug-02-2004, 1:10pm
Actually the string spacing was my bad. #I had detuned the instrument while transporting her and the A strings slipped out of place. #I didn't notice it when I took the picture and posted it. The string spacing is in reality normal.

HDSJR
Aug-02-2004, 1:38pm
I just acquired a Mark Bluett dreadnought. Koa body with a spruce top. It is without a doubt the best sounding guitar I have ever played. My Martins run and hide when it climbs out of the case. I bet that is one sweet-sounding mandolin!

Harrmob
Aug-02-2004, 3:16pm
HDSJR-

I always dreamed of owning a Bluett Brothers instrument, especially a dreadnaught guitar- KOA no less! I bet that is a sweet guitar.....you turkey.

HDSJR
Aug-03-2004, 7:25am
Kevin, you are welcome to play it any time. It will be at practice every Tuesday night.........

PS
Great Jam last night!

revray
Aug-03-2004, 9:31am
At the risk of starting another scrolltroversy here is a close-up of the scroll. I concur with the comments about Mark's guitars. He built a magnificant walnut/spruce model for my wife. It was such a great guitar that she willing passed her brazilian rosewood D-35 on to our son. I've never had the chance to play one of his fiddles but I would be confident they are of the same high caliber.

revray
Aug-03-2004, 11:26am
Here is a new picture of the sound hole and rosette with the actual string spacing.

softshell
Aug-04-2004, 3:44pm
I have been sweatin' over a Bluett mandolin ever since I visited his shop this winter. I just can't justify spending so much money on a mandolin (even though it is worth it) at my skill level, I would feel like I was just wasting the instrument.

Cragger
Aug-05-2004, 6:37am
i can't play up to my pomeroy f5 that i just bought but that didn't stop me from buying it. every time i play it i get closer to it's capabilities (mind you i'm still a couple decades from that). if you can afford it now, get it and play it all you can. you never know when you will have the chance to own such a fine instrument and if you must, you can always get most of your money back in the classifieds.

revray
Aug-05-2004, 10:03am
Since there has been some mention of Mark's guitars I thought I'd post a few pictures of my wife's Bluett along side my mando.

revray
Aug-05-2004, 10:05am
From the back

revray
Aug-05-2004, 10:07am
Two heads are better than one

revray
Aug-05-2004, 10:16am
One last picture of Guy Tar and her cousin Man Dolin

Lee
Aug-05-2004, 4:02pm
Interesting photo. Look at the bracing inside the guitar, and then look closely at the mandolin's headstock inlay.