PDA

View Full Version : Little lines that seem to appear in a circle

red7flag
Apr-25-2008, 8:35pm
After time there seems to be little lines, looks like thin scratches, except I never touch the top with either fingers or pick. I am insterested as to what these are called. They seem to buff out fairly easily, but also seem to come back in a relatively short time. Thanks for the info.
Tony

DryBones
Apr-25-2008, 9:06pm
sounds like a fingertip to me, even if just ocassionally getting posted. got a ny pics of the circles/lines?

red7flag
Apr-26-2008, 10:56pm
Jason,
I think you are right. When playing the A and E sting, my pinky leans down and the nail just barely touches the surface. I did not realize it until I really focused. Thanks.
Tony

Sean Greer
Apr-26-2008, 11:16pm
They seem to buff out fairly easily
What approach do you use to buff them out? I have some that sound similar to yours and I not sure of the proper buffing procedure. Just a polish cloth? Thanks!

DryBones
Apr-27-2008, 7:06am
Jason,
I think you are right. #When playing the A and E sting, my pinky leans down and the nail just barely touches the surface. #I did not realize it until I really focused. #Thanks.
Tony
just keep the nails trimmed down real short and you will be fine! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

red7flag
Apr-27-2008, 9:32am
Personally, I use Dave Harvey's Jubilee Polish. #Works well on all my instruments, but especially the vanished Stanley. Then use a buffing cloth especially long in that area.
Tony

Bob A
Apr-27-2008, 2:27pm
I was really hoping for some sort of crop-circle aliens among us solution. Are you CERTAIN it's just your fingernail?

The Truth is Out There.

red7flag
Apr-27-2008, 2:54pm
Yep, found on my Roswell Mando and the info stored in case 18.
Tony

PhilGE
Apr-28-2008, 3:32pm
just keep the nails trimmed down real short and you will be fine! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Even when you brush your fingertips, you'll eventually wear a dull/thin spot into the finish. Think of it as "character", consider getting a longer/wider pickguard, or learn to play without dropping/posting your pinkie. I used the last two options after I noticed some wear in the finish.

-Phil