PDA

View Full Version : My new om!

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:17am
Just about the time I really started to get serious MAS for an octave, my friend and repair luthier, Joe Mendel (jomando), announced that he was getting into building, specializing in octave mandolins and banjos. He got lots of plans, advice and coaching from luthiers like Peter Sawchyn, Chris Baird and Michael Lewis. Joe got an order to make his first octave for Joe Carr, the editor of Mel Bay’s Mandolin Sessions and author of about three dozen Mel Bay music instruction books. I got to play that first instrument in the white and immediately put my dibs in for the second Mendel octave. Then I sold an Old Wave guitar I had to finance the project. Later I got to play #1 finished, just before it shipped, and I really started to get excited. Finally, the wait is over and I could not be more pleased.

My octave has a Sitka spruce top with Adirondack spruce cross braces. The back, sides, headstock veneer and fingerboard support are grenadillo, a tone wood that is often used in wind instruments such as bassoons and oboes, but is rarer in string instruments. Joe feels it falls in between walnut and rosewood in its tonal properties. Joe had used grenadillo on the Carr octave and I really like the sound of it. My OM has a three piece neck made of maple/grenadillo/maple and the scale is 22 3/4". It has Grover tuners, a bone nut, a handmade ebony bridge that is adjustable under tension, a two-way adjustable truss rod and an Allen TR-1 tailpiece. The ebony fretboard is 1 3/8" at the nut, with a compound radius that is 9” at the nut and nearly flat at the bridge. The instrument also has a K&K “Pure Western” guitar pickup system installed. This OM fits snugly in a flat-top TKL resonator banjo case, with only slight modification to the case. The finish is satin nitro lacquer.

It sounds and plays great! If I had to pick one word to describe the tone, it would be “warm.” If I could choose a few more words, they would be “well-balanced, even and loud.” It is everything I had hoped for. My MAS is finally cured! (Yeah, right!)

These pictures were taken by Joe in his workshop.

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:19am
The back:

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:20am
Headstock

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:22am
Top detail:

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:23am
Back detail:

Ken Sager
Apr-25-2008, 10:23am
It is everything I had hoped for.
These are the most choice words right there.

VERY Nice looking instrument. I love the 3-piece neck, the offset tuners, the beautiful clean work, and the back is absolutely gorgeous. I hope it was worth selling your guitar for.

Congrats, John.

Best,
Ken

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:24am
More back:

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 10:26am
Thanks, Ken. It was worth selling the Old Wave guitar and I hope you're enjoying playing it!

Ken Sager
Apr-25-2008, 10:27am
I can't wipe the grin off my face every time I pick it up. It's an absolute hoot.

You really have a lovely OM. Congrats again.
KS

Steve-o
Apr-25-2008, 11:45am
That's a great looking OM John. I really like the look of that grenadillo. You should post in the CBOM section. Where is Mr. Mendel located and does he have a web site?

Eric F.
Apr-25-2008, 11:48am
Very nice. Congratulations to John and Joe.

JEStanek
Apr-25-2008, 11:50am
I corrected Mendel in the Thread title for you, John. Lovely OM. It looks great. The elevated fingerboard is neat too. I bet with tonal mix of Walnut and Rosewood it has a great voice. Congrats!

Jamie

amowry
Apr-25-2008, 11:51am
Beautiful! Nice work, Joe!

Chris Travers
Apr-25-2008, 12:06pm
Nice instrument! Lovely work!

John Flynn
Apr-25-2008, 12:11pm
Steve: Joe is located in St. Louis. He has a web developer working on his website, complete with some high-quality pictures. I'm told the site will be operational in a week or two and it will coincide with a listing on the builders' database here on the Cafe'.

Thanks for the spelling correction Jamie.

Ted Eschliman
Apr-25-2008, 12:20pm
Joe is a very talented individual. In addition to his recent interest in building, he's a highly sought after repairman, and regular contributer to Mel Bay's online webzine, Mandolin Sessions (http://mandolinsessions.com).

Now that he's conquered the OM, I'd like to see him make a flattop mandola. How about it; a Mendel-a?

Brad Weiss
Apr-25-2008, 3:45pm
Oooh- the top looks so simple and clean, and the back is really neat- walnut and rosewood are two of my favorites at this tonal register. Congrats!

Joe Mendel
May-06-2008, 10:06pm
Thank all of you for the compliments, I'm pleased with the way the first ones have turned out and will be continually trying to improve them. My website is up and running, we'll be updating it regularly. http://jmendelfrets.com

steve V. johnson
May-07-2008, 9:17am
Hi Joe!

Very handsome work, and a really pleasant and informative website, too!

Congratulations and best wishes!

stv

Jim Roberts
May-07-2008, 11:06am
I met Joe at Camp Bluegrass in Levelland, TX a few years ago and his enthusiasm for mandolins was most impressive. Super nice guy.

Jake Wildwood
May-07-2008, 1:19pm
A nice mix of traditional styling and modern innovation. I like!

fatt-dad
May-07-2008, 2:23pm
O.K. so the original post occurred on my 21st wedding anniversary - no wonder I missed it! Now that it's resurfaced, I can fully comment, "Cool axe!" Not that I'd know what to do with it; however. . . Bet it'd be fun to mess around on though!

f-d