PDA

View Full Version : Test Pieces?

Strathspey
Jun-23-2004, 10:09am
I know that there are a number of accepted "test pieces" in different styles of Celtic Music ... Colonel Fraser, Gravel Walks etc... Generally, these tunes would be considered show-pieces/test-pieces on any instrument, but are there any tunes do you believe highlight the "length and breadth " of the mandolin - making maximum use of its unique traits and character?

Matt

Bob DeVellis
Jun-23-2004, 12:55pm
Hmmmm. Well, in Irish music, rarely does one travel above the 7th fret, so in that sense, the full potential of the instrument isn't really used. Also, chording is used sparingly by some, not at all by many, and more extensively by relatively few. So, again, a mandolin's full capacity is largely unused in Irish music.

Short answer: No, I don't think there's any tune that fully travels the length and breadth of the mandolin's scope. But there are certainly players that can run much of that length and breadth on a wide variety of tunes. This repertoire tends to be preserved in fairly minimalist form, with decisions about embellishment left to the individual player. So it's perhaps less the tune than the rendering that shows off the mandolin's capabilities.

Arthur Darley's Jig (also known as the Swedish Jig) moves across all 4 courses of strings and provides many opportunities for ornamentation (e.g., double stops, hammer-ons, pull-offs, cuts triplets) that works well on mandolin. Of course, those techniques can be incorporated into just about any tune. But it might be one tune that provides ample opportunities for showing what a mandolin can do in this style of music.

cam
Jun-23-2004, 1:18pm
I would suggest Bohemian Rhapsody sung with a strong Irish accent of course. Just a wee joke - I'm partying tonight... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steph
Jun-23-2004, 8:42pm
As Bob said most traditional Celtic origin tunes stay low on the fretboard. You could try some of the "Celtic" tunes written by players like Simon Mayor that are put together with the mandolin and it characteristics in mind. The Mosstropper Medely starts with a jig in in F uses all four strings and ends with a reel in A that goes up around the 12th/14th fret. His New Celtic Mandolin Book goes into using arrangements that are specifically written for mando - using open strings to ring underneath the melody played higher on the fretboard - I think his version of The Butterfly is simply amazing.

Dagger Gordon
Jun-24-2004, 2:18am
Some of the great Scottish fiddle composers like Scott Skinner and William Marshall have certainly written stuff that will stretch you, as has the North of England's James Hill.

There is also the question of getting away from the standard keys like D, G etc and getting into B flat, E flat etc.

Try Bank's Hornpipe. I seem to remember some discussion about it a year or two ago. That should keep you busy for a day or two.

Unseen122
Jun-24-2004, 6:02pm
There is also the question of getting away from the standard keys like D, G etc and getting into B flat, E flat etc.
For a good B flat tune try Beeswing it's a hornpipe. #For a tough tune on mando try Drops of Brandy (slip jig) give your fingers a real workout in this tune Lark in the Morning (jig) is also a good "workout tune". #Bonnie Kate (reel) and The Lads of Laios (reel) are good if you want to use all four strings. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

aimee
Jun-25-2004, 10:13am
Banks Hornpipe in Eb was definitely a challenge. Tried it last summer & more or less gave up. The B part had a lot of arpeggio stuff that was just too hard in Eb- maybe it's time to try again, though.