PDA

View Full Version : Ornate mandolin for sale in uk

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-23-2008, 2:53am
I had cause to look at the website of the guy who has this Mandolin for sale in the UK,in order to try to help another guy who has a Ukulele for sale.
I trolled thro.the pages & came across this Mandolin.It's the most OTT instrument i've ever seen. It appears to be well made,but there's no maker's name on it -any ideas as to where it may have been made ?. Here's the front view,
Saska

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-23-2008, 2:56am
Here's the back view. The Mandolin is on sale for $650 US
(£325 UK).I'm assuming that it may be of Chinese origin,i just wondered if any other members have seen anything like it in the USA,
# # # # # # Saska

jamface
Apr-23-2008, 2:59am
I wondered if this is an Antoniotsai creation from Taiwan, but I'm not sure the inlay is quite his style.
But now I've seen the back I'm more convinced it might be Tsai's work.
One reported alleged problem with these Antoniotsai instruments, and his guitars, is that they are built in humidity conditions quite unlike the UK and most of the US, so the wood cracks as it dries out. Might be OK if kept it in the sauna!

trevor
Apr-23-2008, 3:05am
I had a call from a guy who bought one of these last week. He sent it back because the frets were not properly spaced!

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-23-2008, 3:20am
Wow ! - You guys are quick off the mark.I had an idea that all might not be well with an instrument such as this & i think that's a real shame. Such a lot of work has gone into the inlay that to neglect the 'basics' as it were, re.susceptibility to humidity & out of position fretting seems a crime, especially if the woods used are of reasonable quality. Maybe something nice just to hang on the wall,if you can afford to do so,
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Saska

MikeEdgerton
Apr-23-2008, 8:13am
It was made in Vietnam and told by one of the Taiwan middle men. Check out these (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=480f358b0d342d47) threads. Look for anything that talks about Antonio Tsai or Bruce Wei. They're sold daily on ebay.

Bill Snyder
Apr-23-2008, 9:04am
There is another one that does not get much mention here, but his wares appear to come from the same place. That is Sam Musical Instrument Workshop. Ebay id Taisamlumusical. I think he may be the one that was selling the Lepore mandolins mentioned in some other threads.
Here is a photo of one of his for reference.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/taisamlu/.mids/DSCN9894_001.JPG

MikeEdgerton
Apr-23-2008, 9:06am
Same ballpark, different player.