PDA

View Full Version : Radiused or flat fretboards?

JohnnyCrash
Apr-15-2008, 6:00pm
I'm new and already have a post about mid-level mandos in the $500-$650 range...

I just wanted to pick your brains about radiused fretboards versus good old flat fretboards.

What do y'all think?

I'm probably aiming for a flat, but I'd like to hear some opinions first http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TNFrank
Apr-15-2008, 6:03pm
Well, as a former guitar and electric bass player, both of which had a radius fret board, I like the flat fret board on my mandolin. The neck is so small anyway that I don't see how a radius would help all that much. Of course I've never played a mando with a radius so I don't know what it'd be like. Best thing is to check out both kinds if you can and see which feels better to you.

Mr. Loar
Apr-15-2008, 6:06pm
Great post. I don't think I've ever played a radiused fingerboard mandolin, unless Hannigan's Gilchrist has one. If so, it was slim and nice.

Ken Sager
Apr-15-2008, 6:07pm
Having owned and played both for years I very much prefer radiused. To my hand the arch just feels more natural.

To each his/her own.

Best,
Ken

theBlood
Apr-15-2008, 6:55pm
I have a couple of modern small neck mandos and also a couple of old Gibsons with very wide and flat necks. Each setup seems to have advantages with certain types of playing.

For bluegrass chop chords and fast fiddle songs, I like the smaller neck better. I definitely like a smaller neck for chop chording. For swing and other styles, though, a wider neck seems better with more complicated chording and intricate melodies.

In general, though, if I had an instrument that had a great tone I would learn to deal with the neck, as long as it was functioning correctly. Some old stuff, like old Martin guitars, can have pretty large necks by today's standards. I've found that I can get over that bit of discomfort when the tones are so delicious.

jimbob
Apr-15-2008, 8:08pm
I have two of each. I prefer the wider, radiused boards because I have fat fingers and I like the wider spacing as much as the radius, but I think the radius is more comfortable

miked500
Apr-15-2008, 8:39pm
I played a flat finger board for a number of years as a beginner. When I stepped up to a higher end mando, it had a radiused fret board. At first I didn't like it at all; it took me quite a while to get used to it. Now I really like the radiused fret board. The flat ones feel 'chunky' to me. Just my experience. YMMV

Greg H.
Apr-16-2008, 11:31am
I have one of each, and the radiussed board definately feels more comfortable. That said, double stop tremelo seems more difficult on the radiussed board, but since I feel like I'm having to work less on the radiussed board I like it better.

Try both and see if it makes a difference to you (and if so which way). I've known very accomplished mandolinists who swear by flat fingerboards so the best choice is see what you like.

JohnnyCrash
Apr-16-2008, 1:20pm
Cool.

I am a traditionalist by nature, so I've been leaning towards a flat radius. I would hate to have to get used to flat after learning on radiused - in case one day I had the dough for a nice old Gibson F!

To be fair, I tend to agree with theBlood's post, multiple styles can be tolerated if the sound is right - and I think it makes us all better musicians to be able to play on many different platforms (flat/radiused, wide/narrow, chunky/thin).

On my guitars and basses I prefer wider string spacing since my fingers are so dang long... and you guys have now brought me to my next quandry - fretboard spacing (or nut width).

Thank you guys... I am about to pull the trigger on a mandolin purchase soon!

Ken Sager
Apr-16-2008, 2:19pm
Cool.

I am a traditionalist by nature, so I've been leaning towards a flat radius. #I would hate to have to get used to flat after learning on radiused - in case one day I had the dough for a nice old Gibson F!
Good luck getting a builder to make one with a flat radius!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif