PDA

View Full Version : Peter ostroushkos mandolin

Jonas
Apr-15-2008, 7:41am
I downloaded the Woodsongs episode which features Peter Ostroushko and just wondered if anyone knows what kind of mandolin he plays? It looks like a oval hole a model with violin-type 'binding' and a paddlehead. He got some good sweet sounds out of it.

Just courious.

Fred Keller
Apr-15-2008, 8:17am
I believe it's a Baird. Someone else will have to confirm, though, as I'm not 100% sure.

sgarrity
Apr-15-2008, 8:24am
Yup....made by Gavin Baird. He makes a Peter O. model. I think the specs are on his website

Jim Roberts
Apr-15-2008, 8:35am
Here's one that own and love. It's the finest oval hole mandolin that I have ever played. Fit and finish are perfect as well. Gavin is a real great guy to deal with, too.

Jim Roberts
Apr-15-2008, 8:39am
Here's a close-up of the sunflower (my home state flower) on the headstock that Gavin's wife designed. I keep waiting for my royalty checks for this idea!

There is a reason you very rarely see a used Gavin Baird for sale here on the Cafe...

John Flynn
Apr-15-2008, 8:42am
Mr. O discusses his mandolin choices in Question 1 of the linked interview. I heard him play the Peter White mandolin he talks about, up close in a very small concert venue, about 10 years ago. It was pretty sweet.

http://www.mandozine.com/resources/CGOW/ostroushko.php

Lee
Apr-15-2008, 5:12pm
Jim, what other oval holes have you compared it to? Is yours a standard neck width?

stevem
Apr-15-2008, 5:17pm
I just recently watched the Woodsongs show too. His playing is a real breath of fresh air. The first song I played for my daughter when she was a newborn was his "Heart of the Heartland." Great song.

JEStanek
Apr-15-2008, 7:57pm
Here's Gavin's Website. (http://www.sheba.ca/testimonials.html) Eye candy all the way.

Jamie

Richard Russell
Apr-15-2008, 10:46pm
Peter is a true master. That was a great article Mando Johnny. His insight into the A model mandolins is very interesting. I have always felt that Peter's mandolin tone is about the most beautiful I've heard.

Michael Wolf
Apr-16-2008, 5:52am
Here you can take a closer look at this Mando that he built together with Peter White:

Peter Ostroushko son of ukrainians (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZ6haOLbmg&feature=related)

And here:

Peter Ostroushko with Danny Gotham (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JORlzQ8Og&feature=related)

Hans
Apr-16-2008, 6:59am
Fred, Peter regularly plays the instrument he and Peter White built. He's had it for many years.

Lee
Apr-16-2008, 4:41pm
Gavin's site has way too few photos in the Image Gallery. Is it a raised fingerboard on the A4 oval?

Michael Wolf
Apr-16-2008, 4:49pm
I once asked Gavin about this. Yes, he builds the A4 with raised fingerboard.

Mandobar
Apr-17-2008, 7:34am
are you sure that the woodsongs episode is his gavin mando. looks like the peter white mandolin to me. having seen peter play in person up close.......he is very very fond of that particular mandolin. and he can really play it. he is also a very good storyteller and he has a great sense of humor.

Michael Wolf
Apr-17-2008, 9:01am
Yes, you're right. In the woodsongs video he palys the Peter White Mando.

Jim Roberts
Apr-17-2008, 9:03am
quote: Lee,April 15 2008, "Jim, what other oval holes have you compared it to?" #

I don't think this is a fair question to ask in a public forum...

The neck width at the nut, however, is 1 3/16th and is very comfortable.

acousticphd
Apr-17-2008, 1:12pm
I saw Peter O play here in Nashville a couple months ago and he played the White oval hole mandolin, and that is the only one I have seen pictured on his several most recent CDs. #On Sacred Heart (now ~15 yrs old, I think), the credits say he uses a Gibson A for one or two pieces, and in a few of his older interviews he mentions having played some old Gibsons. #I have seen that one, which has the 1st 12 frets replaced with larger frets, in an older picture of him somewhere.

Jonas
Apr-21-2008, 7:04am
Thanks for all the info! Those Baird mandos are pretty!

Michael Gowell
Apr-21-2008, 10:06pm
I saw Peter at the 2006 March Mandolin Festival in Concord NH. #He was playing a dead plain little A that he said he built himself under the direction of a friend - perhaps it was Mr. Baird.

Jonas
Apr-22-2008, 8:11am
I would guess that mandolin would appear to be the 'Peter White' mandolin discussed above. That was the one used in Woodsongs as well. Beautiful tone in that!

Paul Weber
Apr-23-2008, 6:56pm
My Lyon & Healy Style A of the last 5 years is now owned by Peter. It's a great sounding one. Hopefully he will be using for upcoming gigs.