PDA

View Full Version : Our mandolin

roka
Apr-14-2008, 6:38pm
My wife inherited this Gibson mandolin from her grandmother. We're not sure but we think her grandmother had it since the early 1900's(?) The serial number on the label is 3092. We've tried to ID it via the Gibson website and other sources but haven't had any luck. Anyone know what it is? Hold old it is? Possibly how much it's worth? Thanks in advance!

MML
Apr-14-2008, 7:08pm
What you have there is a 1904 model A mandolin that looks to be in wonderful condition. They are refered to as "Orville labeled" as the Original inovator Orville Gibsons photo is on the label. A nice instrument you have there.

mrmando
Apr-14-2008, 7:08pm
It looks like a nice one. Judging from the serial number, it was built around 1904. The tailpiece may well be original. The bone saddle in the bridge may not be original, and in fact the entire bridge may be a replacement. If the tuners really are that white, then they're probably not original either. But it looks as though perhaps the sun is just a little bright in the photograph.

It would help to know whether there's a model number indicated on the label. It's probably A1 or A2.

It appears to be in very good condition, especially considering its age, and could be worth as much as $2,000 or more.

I wouldn't put it down on asphalt like that again. It would be too easy to damage the finish on the back.

If you let us know what part of the country you're in, someone might be able to recommend a local expert for an appraisal. It would help to know whether it has its original case, and whether it appears to have any cracks or open seams.

The following site will be of much more help than the Gibson site:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/

otterly2k
Apr-14-2008, 7:13pm
roka-
I'll let the Gibson experts answer your questions... but will also say that any estimate of value will depend heavily on the condition of the instrument. #So, you might want to inspect it closely, and look for any cracks, seam separations, is the arch of the top intact or sunken below the bridge? #how worn are the frets? #what is the condition of the neck? is all the binding there and attached?

You may not be sure how to answer some of these questions if you're completely new to mandolins... which is why it'd probably be worth taking it to a luthier or an appraiser who can assess these more knowledgeably. #If you let us know what part of the country you are in, folks here might be able to recommend someone.

On first glance, it does appear to be an early 1900's Gibson, and it seems in pretty good condition. #But there's a lot that can't be checked out in that photo. #If you have more pics (or could take some from different angles), you might want to post them.

Nice mando...
I'd take it off the driveway, tho!

roka
Apr-15-2008, 11:27am
Thanks for the replies so far! And rest assured that the mandolin will never feel the driveway again http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

We're in the Detroit area. Can anyone recommend a luthier around here? We are real novices and don't know anything about mandolins.

The mandolin really is in good shape. There is no damage to the wood that we can see. Definitely no open seams, cracks, etc.

We do have what we think is the original case but it's in rough shape. Looks like the leather (or whatever it is) is falling off.

We've posted a bunch of pictures to one of our blogs. Please view them here:

http://rokamandolin.blogspot.com/

Thanks again!!

sunburst
Apr-15-2008, 11:40am
Detroit, how far is that from Lancing? Home of Elderly Instruments (http://www.elderly.com/).

mrmando
Apr-15-2008, 12:01pm
I think it's about 80-90 miles from Detroit to Elderly. I made that drive once.

That does look like it could be the original case. Most of those old leather cases have not held up very well.

My advice would be to call Elderly, tell them what you've got and ask about bringing it in for an appraisal. It does appear to be in remarkably good shape. And judging from the other photos, those could well be original tuners. Looks like the driveway shot was a little overexposed.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-15-2008, 12:25pm
I third the take it to Elderly Instruments in Lansing.

David Newton
Apr-15-2008, 2:01pm
And take care of that case! The mandolin is worth half again as much with the original case like that.

f5loar
Apr-15-2008, 2:17pm
Is this a mandolin or a mandola? Either that's a real little lady holding it up or it's a mandola. Nice original everything. Love the little volute on back of neck.

John Rosett
Apr-15-2008, 2:40pm
I've never seen a tailpiece base like that. Is that normal for that vintage?

mrmando
Apr-15-2008, 4:09pm
Is this a mandolin or a mandola? Either that's a real little lady holding it up or it's a mandola. Nice original everything. Love the little volute on back of neck.
Tom, is the bridge saddle original? I wasn't sure when Gibson started using the individually compensated bridges.

Roka -- can you measure from the nut (the piece of bone between the headstock and the fretboard) to the bridge (the wooden strip between the soundhole and the tailpiece)? If it's about 14 inches, it's a mandolin. Around 16 inches, it's a mandola. It does look biggish.

I see there's no model number on those Orville labels. Interesting.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-15-2008, 4:49pm
That is a Pineapple tailpiece and they were original to the vintage.

atetone
Apr-16-2008, 12:48am
That is a very nice example of an Orville A style!
The Orville market is a strange game though and hard to estimate a value.
The whole low (or reverse) neck angle thing hurts their desirability as great players.
Wether that is a true detraction to tone and volume or just a widely held opinion based on rumour, I don't know because I have never played one.
I tend to believe it though because from my experience with mandos with low bridges it makes sense. #
To the right person who is interested in them I would guess that since this one is in such great shape that it would bring $2000 or more?
The tuners look like the right ones(4 bumps instead of the 5 bumps that came later) and the case looks right to me also as does the tailpiece.
I have a 1907 A4 that appears to have the same case.
The bridge I have no idea about but this mando doesn't look like it has been messed with at all so to me I would think that it is very likely to be the original.
All in all I think this is a great inheritance.
Very nice!

John Rosett
Apr-16-2008, 9:24am
That is a Pineapple tailpiece and they were original to the vintage.
Thanks Mike-I've seen plenty of the "pineapple" tailpiece covers, but I've never seen a tailpiece base (string anchors) like that.

roka
Apr-16-2008, 6:34pm
Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies!

The woman holding the mandolin is 5'6" so maybe it is a mandola?

Unfortunately the mandolin (or mandola) is currently in Detroit and we're in Arizona so I can't measure it. On second thought maybe that's not so unfortunate after all http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mrmando
Apr-16-2008, 8:10pm
Well, give us an update when you're back home. Are you going to stick around to see the ocotillos bloom, or are they already doing it?

roka
Apr-22-2008, 6:15pm
Yes, I'll post an update when we get back to Detroit. And yes, the ocotillos are in bloom!