PDA

View Full Version : Sf mandolin festival

Evan Mahoney
Apr-14-2008, 3:19am
Did anyone go to the San Francisco Mandolin festival at the Croatian Cultural Center Sunday? Just curious, I made the trek from Sacramento. I missed the am workshops and saw the Silver String Ensemble perform.

Who else from this cafe was there?

girldingo
Apr-14-2008, 8:54pm
I was there - I had a great time! I played with the San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra.

Ilene

Laurence Firth
Apr-15-2008, 12:05pm
I was there the whole day. It was a fantastic event. I loved it. The BYOM session in the morning was fun and I look forward to being a better player next year so that I participate more. The workshop with Tom Rozum and Laurie Lewis was a real bonus. I learned a lot in that short session and it was great to hear Tom and Laurie discuss playing riffs and solos that complement the singer. The Orchestras were awesome. Hearing so many mandolins playing together and making such sweet great music is something I’ll never forget. I knew I would enjoy the event but I didn’t know that at days end I too would want to join a Mandolin Orchestra! Great event. I can’t wait till next year. I live in LA and I traveled up to the bay area just for this event – it was well worth it.

Laurence Firth
Apr-15-2008, 12:42pm
And I forgot to say the performance by Tom Rozum and Laurie Lewis and their band was great. I purchased a couple of their CD's at the festival. I highly recommend giving them a listen. Tom is a super mandolin player and Laurie is a great musician (guitar, base, fiddle) and singer too. Together they are fantastic.

Laurence Firth
Apr-15-2008, 2:00pm
I was there - I had a great time! #I played with the San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra.

Ilene

My complements to you Ilene – the San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra was a pleasure to listen to and experience. As were all of the Orchestras– thanks for a great performance!

girldingo
Apr-15-2008, 5:28pm
Thank you - it's an amazing experience to be surrounded by mandolins in an orchestra setting. When it's really coming together musically, I feel like I'm inside a calliope at a Carousel ride. I highly recommend the orchestral experience, it's quite wonderful.

Ilene