PDA

View Full Version : Doug edwards mcclung armrest

Chip Booth
Apr-13-2008, 5:49pm
I just received a McClung style armrest from Cafe member Doug Edwards, and folks, I gotta tell you this is the best money I have ever spent on a mandolin accessory. #The angle of the armrest puts my hand in just the correct position to keep it elevated and off of the bridge. #I felt an immediate improvement in my picking motion. #And the angle combined with the well polished wood feels great, far more comfortable than a standard armrest or a bare mandolin.

I asked for a custom armrest and my order arrived within a week of my first email to Doug. #That's as good as service gets. #

Doug usually has an ad in the classifieds and he has a web site as well: http://ntbbluegrass.com/mandolin.html

NFI, just a very happy customer and I thought others would like to know.
Chip

spinaker
Apr-13-2008, 6:06pm
I agree 100% http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

surfandstrum
Apr-13-2008, 6:16pm
Doug is a great person to deal with a true gentleman...Highly recommend!!!

mandolirius
Apr-14-2008, 2:15am
I had the same experience. Immediate improvement in hand position. Love my McClung!

Landgrass
Apr-14-2008, 4:12pm
Gotta chime in about my McClung. Quality product, great guy, immediate right arm/hand position improvement. No more pinkey planting.

bshpmark
Apr-14-2008, 8:05pm
I love my arm rest as well. It really helped my hand position.

Doug Edwards
Apr-14-2008, 9:49pm
Thanks everyone for the kinds words. I enjoy and take pride in making these.
Those who aren't ready to order one can enter for my monthly drawing on the M.A.S. link in the signature line. I give one away at the end of each month.

crengr
Apr-19-2008, 2:55pm
Just got mine today (Sat.) after ordering late Tuesday night. Great guy to deal with.
Excellent product, McClung armrest gives me exactly what I was looking for, palm off the bridge.. Very satisfied..

Susan H.
Apr-19-2008, 3:37pm
I'm glad I got my armrest (not a McClung, but still very good!) from Doug. #What an improvement in my right hand. #I was originally charged $40, when I was suppose to be charged $35. #Doug fixed that right away and apologized for the mistake. #Keep up the good work Doug!

MLT
Apr-19-2008, 3:54pm
I have 2. One for each of my Breedloves. I sent Doug pictures and he matched the finish for each pretty faithfully. I also think these are the best accessory I have yet to purchase.

leathermarshmallow
Apr-20-2008, 1:04am
I have two of his also...one of each. They are very nice and well made!

Greg

300win
Apr-20-2008, 6:38am
I have one that I got from Doug a month or so ago. Although it is a well made product, I can't use it. 43 years of picking without one, can't change now. Anyway if anybody wants one, I'll send it to you, just pay shipping and handling, and give $10 to the Mandolin Cafe for any funding they might wish to use it for. Anyone interested e-mail me and I'll give you my address, phone # etc., and ship it to you.

Chip Booth
Apr-22-2008, 11:26am
I'll bump up my recommendation. I'm a repeat customer since I just ordered three more with custom inlay.

Chip

surfandstrum
Apr-26-2008, 1:13pm
I put mine on and I can be happier with the look, feel and the fact that it moves my hand away from the bridge...Great arm rests!!!!

Milan Christi
Apr-29-2008, 11:53am
At the risk of "piling on" - I just got my McClung armrest today and noticed an immediate improvement of my wrist and hand position. Very comfortable and beautifully handcrafted. Thanks for the tip, Chip, and thanks to Doug for making a nice, useful product.

tkdboyd
May-09-2008, 1:14pm
I am going to "pile on" too. I ordered my first almost a month ago and my second last week. I will be ordering a third soon to replace the one I ordered from Elderly (No offense to Elderly, they are my string suppliers!) But Wow, what a great product.
I am sure there are others out there that make good ones too, but the McClung is just phenomenal!

F5GRun
May-09-2008, 1:40pm
Hey Doug if your out there would you mind me asking where the name McClung came from? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Sean Greer
May-09-2008, 1:56pm
Hey Doug if your out there would you mind me asking where the name McClung came from? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
You can read about it on Doug's website. (http://ntbbluegrass.com/mcclung.html)

F5GRun
May-09-2008, 2:12pm
ahhhh HA!!!! Thanks Chico!!

Satchel
May-09-2008, 2:26pm
I piled on the band wagon...emailed Doug this morning and can't wait to try one out!

UnityGain
May-09-2008, 7:01pm
So yeah, I'm going to "me too" on this one too.

Just started using my McClung. At first I payed attention to it, noting how it elevated my hand over the strings more. Then I played a show with it, totally forgot it was there. At the end I said, "hey my wrist doesn't hurt!" ...need I say more?

Doug Edwards
May-09-2008, 10:50pm
Thanks for the kind words. I love the thing myself and I keep improving the design. Currently the front is .55 - .60" and the back is . 35 - .37. The thickness and angle seem just right. On a good day I can produce five of these along with a few other projects.

This past week has been quite busy, but I'm about to get caught up to produce extras and some inlaid items. I
cut this inlay today. Jon Miller was kind enough to send me a pattern to work with. It's still quite rough and needs sanding, polishing and some tweeking, but I ran out of time.

Satchel
May-22-2008, 12:10pm
Got mine in the mail yesterday... Doug is great to work with and the quality is first class. The walnut, recommended by Doug, matched up nicely.

When I first put the rest on it seemed a bit awkward because it was as if I was learning #to play over again. However, I could instantly tell that I had faster wrist action and my noting was cleaner and that there was no pressure on the bridge. It definitley makes it easier to play and more comfortable. The more that I play it the more that I get used to it.

As far the tone goes, I can tell a difference in the tone but, I like what I hear. This mandolin is mega loud on the G and A strings. The extra weight of the rest has tamed those two strings down and balanced the tone out across all of the strings which, gives it a warmer feel. I'm very satisfied and recommend them.

Satchel
May-22-2008, 12:12pm
Here's a photo.

Mark Walker
May-22-2008, 12:26pm
Brian - looks great!

I'll have to snap a picture of the one on my Silver Angel that I got from Doug and get it posted.

Thanks for sharing; Doug does super work.

PCT57
May-22-2008, 12:33pm
If anyone in the UK is interested mine arrived about a week after order.

Lovely job, really comfortable and looks the part.