PDA

View Full Version : Clark mandolins

Barry Platnick
Apr-09-2008, 9:37pm
Can folks who have a Clark mandolin comment on them I'm considering an F-style.
thanks

dougjay
Apr-09-2008, 10:06pm
I own the Clark Two-Point, no. 22. #Beautiful workmanship. #Extremely playable. #A lovely tone, which has been aptly described as sweet, bell-like. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

djidaho
Apr-09-2008, 11:01pm
I've played a couple but I won't own one for another year. I'm on the waiting list. I'm currently looking closly at his jazz mando project for ideas.
dave

marku
Apr-11-2008, 10:21am
All I can say is "don't wait." Actually, I can say a whole lot more. I had Austin make one for me a year and a half ago when he was much less well known. I have no.12 and it so beautiful, plays so well and has a wonderful warm tone. I love this mando!!

I should also add that Austin stands totally behind his work. I originally had no.13 custom made for me. (hmmm no.13?!?!] It was also a beautiful and wonderful instrument. But somehow after 6 months a small flaw in the back wood developed http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif - a small crack from some hidden flaw that developed after the wood was shaped. When Austin heard about it he insisted that my 100% satisfaction was paramount and what did I want to do? He would build me a new one, or let me pick out what ever I wanted from his existing stock. He actually went one better and transferred the gold hardware from no. 13 to his (and now my) gorgeous no. 12. The one I now have has more deluxe appointments that the one he originally made. Austin said it didn't matter, he wanted me to be happy and I must say that I am! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif He really stands behind his work. I would have been happy with no.13even with a tiny (1/4 inch long at most)crack, but I must say it worked out even better for me as I love my no.12!

As for my original comment, I hear he has a one year wait list now... do it now and you won't be disappointed. Wait longer and your wait will be even longer...

Mark http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

alespa
Apr-11-2008, 11:52pm
I am the original and continuing owner of Clark #14, a sexy 2-point mandolin with attitude. I've owned this for about a year and a half, and I still think it's one of the best looking mandolins I've seen. It's like a piece of art you can play with.

I can honestly say that everyone that has seen and heard this instrument always comments on it's beauty, and are impressed with it's volume, and tone. I've even had guitar players ask to play it and every time they get a grin on their face, and I get satisfaction knowing they are enjoying it.

In the beginning, I had my eye on F style mandos. Then I came across Austin's take on the 2-point body style. To be honest, some of the 2 points I had seen up to that point, didn't appeal to me. But there was something about the dimensions, size and placement of the points, and the point size in relation to the body that resonated with me. I contacted Austin and it didn't take long before I realized the 2-point was where it was at for me!

Austin was a pleasure to work with and made the whole process so much fun. I've never had an instrument made special for me. That seemed pretty much like a pipe dream at the time. But here I was, in the process of having to make some pretty weighty decisions on colors, neck, hardware, and more . . . and throughout all of these big decisions and some indecision, I always felt like my satisfaction was his first priority. He's a really nice and personable guy, and he truly loves what he does.

I have no problem recommending Austin's mandolins to anyone looking for a high quality instrument that's still within financial reach.

trevor
Apr-12-2008, 2:57am
Three due here in the UK next spring. Austin has been a pleasure to work with. I am looking forward to getting them.

unklemean
Apr-12-2008, 8:54pm
Hi Barry
make the jump you won't regret it. Austin is a pleasure to work with. I own the only two point oval Austin has made it's #11. The playability is sweet it has sustain thats out of this world. my dream was to get a great jazz mando and this one is it. also I am returning to Austin for a second this time a f5 model. so if quality is what you are looking for takr it from a repeat offender (customer) get on the list.

Doug Hoople
Apr-12-2008, 9:25pm
This is a blast of fresh air! I love it. I have renewed confidence that the 2-pointer I'm supposed to be getting in the Fall is going to be stellar. I'm happy to be reading such great reports, and really happy to be on Austin's early waitlist.

Tick, tick, tick...

Danny Clark
Apr-12-2008, 10:20pm
never played one ,they look great and i like the name!

PDow
Apr-13-2008, 11:26pm
You won't regret dealing with Austin. I had a wonderful experience commissioning an F-5 and the results are beautiful to see and hear. Check out the images I posted this weekend.

CRJ
Apr-13-2008, 11:44pm
Austin builds some of the most beautiful mandolins ever. He's a perfectionist and it shows in his work. There are no short cuts to get things done quick, he puts in the time and effort to insure a beautiful mandolin. I've had several builders tell me that they are amazed at how clean his work is. If they were anymore flawless you'd have to hang them up to look at instead of playing it. Not to mention he's a great guy. I don't think you'd be disappointed! Not to mention he's starting to get a pretty long waiting list from what I hear.

bradeinhorn
Apr-14-2008, 12:07am
I own the Clark Two-Point, no. 22. #Beautiful workmanship. #Extremely playable. #A lovely tone, which has been aptly described as sweet, bell-like. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
doug - nice to see you out here. glad you're liking the clark. such a nice instrument. i bet it's really starting to come alive.

Joe F
Apr-16-2008, 10:06am
Austin is currently building #27, an F5, for me. #It should be here in June or July. #Austin has been wonderful to deal with throughout the whole process, and has kept me in the loop with design decisions and frequent progress photos.

Last fall, when I was trying to decide on a new instrument, Austin graciously offered to send me one for a week to try out (I think this one might have been the #13 with the small finish crack). #For just the cost of return shipping, I had an opportunity to really get to know it. #I placed my order shortly afterwards.

unklemean
Apr-22-2008, 8:16pm
Well, its been a few days. Have you made a choise?

Barry Platnick
Apr-23-2008, 10:06pm
not for sure yet