PDA

View Full Version : Side bending strap

bullrun6
Feb-04-2004, 8:28pm
I've seen several posts and a couple of websites describing the use of a metal strap for bending maple sides. Can anyone tell me more about the strap and maybe where to find one? I've been trying to bend some sides and cracking has been a real problem, thought maybe the strap would help. Thanks

Patrick

layers5
Feb-04-2004, 9:16pm
It doesn't have to be anything fancy; I've used a piece of aluminum flashing as a backer when bending violin sides. I've never felt the need when bending mandolin sides, but I've not yet attempted an F-5. The sharp bend around the scroll it seems to me would call for a strap.

Larry

MandoDiddle
Feb-05-2004, 10:41am
Stew Mac sells them. Good luck. It'll happen.

rose#1
Feb-05-2004, 11:21am
I use a piece of trim coil which is used to cap windows, doors, eves, I just cut a piece about 2" wide by 7" long it is very plyable and keeps the moisture in quite nice. a piece of flashing will work as long as it is not to thin. their is no need to spend a lot of money on the small tools that can be made out of household items save it for the duplicaters, Ect.

bullrun6
Feb-06-2004, 12:13pm
Thanks for the suggestions, I tried a piece of aluminum trimmed from a drier exhaust pipe. It seems to have helped, only one crack and it's a tiny one.....

oldwave maker
Feb-09-2004, 4:29pm
I use a piece of .010" stainless shimstock, and always use engelmann spruce scrap cauls to keep from scorching my calluses. With the really figured stuff, more heat and less water works for me, along with thinning it in the tightest bends

Chris Baird
Feb-09-2004, 6:04pm
I don't know, that bending setup looks too "new wave" for me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

bullrun6
Feb-10-2004, 9:05pm
Bussmando, where could I get a piece of .010" stainless shimstock? Not sure where to look...I tried the "more heat less water" technique...it did work better. The first time I tried bending maple I soaked it the way the Siminoff book suggests but the maple came apart without warning, since then I've been spraying it with water just before laying it on the pipe. Still struggling but I managed to get the sides done. I already have the wood for F5 #2 so I'll try your technique when I start that one....Thanks

Pat

oldwave maker
Feb-11-2004, 12:13am
Patrick- email me your postal address, just found the roll of shimstock buried last year in the shop move......
Chris- you must know Cosy Sheridan- we're trying to get her to perform in april at our community center, great songwriter, great voice!

Chris Baird
Feb-11-2004, 11:33am
Bill,
If I see her around I'll nudge her your way.