PDA

View Full Version : Collings

mandoeuro
Apr-06-2008, 9:37am
Howdy folks!

Have anyone any experience with Collings?

Is there a big difference between the MF and the MF5? I'm thinking in playability and tone, not the difference in looks.

Glassweb
Apr-06-2008, 10:06am
I've actually been more impressed with the sound of the MFs than any of the other Collings models, including the MF5, MF5v and even the Deluxe MF5v. I know it sounds crazy, but that's truly been my experience. At less than $4K that MF is a LOT of mando bang for the buck. Anyone else?

Nick Triesch
Apr-06-2008, 10:52am
I have played most models and to my ears I have never played a bad one. While it's true like all mandolins some do sound better than others. I just played 3 of them at Buffalo Bros just the other day. A MF gloss top MF, regular Mf and a Mf5. All three mandolins sounded fantastic and better than mine but in this case the MF5 which I played last just had huge sound. But even used it was $6600! But darn it it was worth every penny. Yep, I agree that the Collings MF model is really the most bang for the buck and is a very good sounding very consistant made mandolin. It's probably the only mandolin I would not worry about buying before I play because they all seem to have a better than average pop out nice sound. The same goes for the MT series. They just kill me with their great sound!! Nick

mandopete
Apr-06-2008, 11:53am
As the owner of an MF-5 I would agree with the statement above.

The only difference to me is the looks.

Rick Schmidlin
Apr-06-2008, 1:17pm
. #All three mandolins sounded fantastic and better than mine but in this case the MF5 which I played last just had huge sound. #But even used it was $6600! #But darn it it was worth every penny.
I have owned my MF5 for almost three years now and have played before and since as many Collings as I can, and also many other models. All I can say is my MF5 is a killer and the sound perfect in so many #different styles and approachs. The MF #is a great mandolin but so in the MT. Yes the the MF5 VD is an upgrade and may sound better over time. But my MF is hard to beat and I really have never looked back,it can do it all with grace and style. If you get a MF you may later have MAS for a another mandolin. With the MF5 it is most under control. Many players have played my MF5 includeing John Reishman and they are praise
the tone and playabilty.

When ever I do get MAS it is for a Heiden,Red Diamond,Weber Elite,Gibson MM and so on but they cost almost trice as much and then I think why part with the MF5 is a good mandolin all around.

red7flag
Apr-06-2008, 6:45pm
I have had both an MF and now have an MF5. The MF was better bought from the shop, but the MF5 now somewhat broken in is fuller in sound. The MF was a better grass instrument. That particular one barked. The MF5, this one and others that I have played, has more sophistication of sound. Over time the MF5 is getting to a place the MF never got to. That is no knock on the MF, they are just different, except in playability, where they are the same.
Tony

Mandobar
Apr-06-2008, 6:59pm
i own several collings and a group of brentrups. while i would not throw over my brentrups for the collings i do enjoy the collings'. the brentrups have a lot more tonal depth than the collings.

Dave Harbst
Apr-06-2008, 8:06pm
I have an Mt-2 and an MT. Both are great, but for the money the MT is a great value. It is just as good-sounding as my MT-2. Also, I've been around a few Collings F models and it's my opinion that my MT sounds as good as any of them. Check out the MT for real value. If you just can't deal with not having that scroll, I think the MF would serve you well.

troika
Apr-07-2008, 12:32am
Yes, I EsPeShuly lik Collleings toNE.:D

Mandobar
Apr-07-2008, 3:12pm
mt= engelmann

mf= adi

once open the adi top is a killer, but you need to spend about 6 months playing it steady to get it to that point.

i ordered an MF with engelmann. quite lovely from the get go.

AeroJoe
Apr-07-2008, 3:44pm
I'm on my third Collings now...an MF not even a month old yet. I've had a 2003 MF-5 and a 2005 MF...and played and test driven every one I have come across. Yes, there are some that sound better than others, but you'll find that in any brand. I can say for certain that Bill Collings is not letting quality slip...that fit and finish inside the body scroll, and under the fretboard extension, you know...places that are not as easily seen as others. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but at some point, the kerfed liners on the inside have changed from mahogany to maple. Perhaps this is not a change at all, maybe they were/are using both at any given time, I don't know. I do know the 2003 MF-5 and the 2005 MF had mahogany liners and the MF I have now has maple ones. Yeah, the real intense flamed maple (in both one-piece and two-piece backs) seem to be reserved for the MF-5 and higher mandolins, but sometimes you'll see some really wild backs on MF models. He does not hold back on those Adirondack tops...you'll find them just as nice on an MF as you will on an MF-5. I would suppose that is why you'll find than some MF's sound as good or better than the higher models. His customer service is second to none...I remember when I bought the MF-5 I had back in 2003, it was advertised as having real pearl knobs on the tuners. This was a mistake on the part of the dealer. I contacted Collings, within 72 hours I got a phone call saying that it was important to them that I be satisfied as a customer and since the mandolin was advertise this way, the mandolin should have the tuners/knobs as advertised, and that Bill had taken the pearl tuners off his own personal mandolin and would be shipping them to me. It'd have been faster than ordering them from First Quality, plus he wanted to be sure the screw holes would match up. That was a bit much...I told them tell him to do no such thing to his own personal mandolin, I did not have to have pearl tuners that bad to be happy. They have nothing to do with sound/tone anyway, so I just let that go. But that he was WILLING to do that to make a customer happy...man, you don't see service like that much anymore. I've had the same type of customer service from Bruce Weber and STE, Geoff Stelling and crew...man, Geoff could be a chef instead of a luthier if he wanted...one year at the Bass Mtn. Festival we were camped beside him and he cooked a ton of BBQ chicken on his grill, and gave it to anyone that wanted some. He was having just as much fun cooking as he was selling his banjos...when you stop to think that these individuals are like the rest of us, they get head colds and the flu and they also have have families they need to spend time with, but they are not allowed to have a bad day...they have to wake up every day, build top-notch instruments,...and then go out of their way to make us happy with their products, so we can enjoy whatever music we play on them to the utmost.

Brandon Flynn
Apr-07-2008, 3:49pm
[quote=AeroJoe,April 07 2008, 16:44]I'm on my third Collings now...an MF not even a month old yet.
Three Collings! Want to donate one to me? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Ken Olmstead
Apr-07-2008, 4:28pm
I played quite a few at Wintergrass. The MF and MT sounded the best right then and there. Like others have said with the investment of 6 months - 1 year on the MF5 it probabally will be kicking @ss! I agree with Tone Monster, once you have the visual goodies and the sound, MAS is reduced to day dreams more than actual hunting. All boils down to $$ in the end. Any of these could be your life partner!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tom F
Apr-08-2008, 12:55pm
Have had a custom MF for a month now (through Cotton). 1-3/16 neck, back of neck shaved to between a V and a U (instead of standard V). Had Alex pick out a hard maple back. Gloss top w/ ivoroid binding.

It is a terrific mandolin. For just over $4000, it is a real bargain.

I really hope they make an oval A someday.

Jack Roberts
Apr-08-2008, 1:00pm
I have an MF with great sound. I've played MF5s that are spectacular.

Don't buy MF or MF5, rather you should decide on what sounds and feels right. I played a lot of mandolins before I decided the buy the MF, and it wasn't the first MF I played. I actually bought another one and returned it the next day.