PDA

View Full Version : My way of holding the pick

Pen
Apr-03-2008, 10:26am
The day I first picked up a guitar 20 years ago, a friend told me that Eddie Van Halen held the pick between his thumb and middle fingure (#2). Of course, I wanted to be like Eddie - so that's how I learned. To this day, I have no idea if that's how he does it (lol - nor do I listen to much VH anymore).

Anyway, I was wondering if my method of holding the pick creates problems or holds me back in any way. My tremolo is average and I can't seem to improve it - could it be how I hold the pick? When I do speedy songs up to tempo, I can be sloppy or a tad bit slow.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else plays like this. Also, I'd love to get feedback from someone with much more knowledge of how the hand works comparing standard grip to my way.

Also, a few years back (when I was taking lessons), I tried to use my index fingure for months. It just never seemed to take. My teacher eventually told me to go back to what I was used to (something about old dogs and new tricks I think).

Celtic Saguaro
Apr-03-2008, 11:21am
It matters more whether you use a 'guitar grip' with your finger tip toward the thumb or a 'mandolin grip' with the side of the finger toward the thumb. Actually most well-trained guitar players use the side of the finger grip as well, but kids watching their favorite rock stars often learn the pinch grip. #Mostly the angle of the hand changes with the pinch grip, which can cause problems with tremolo and otherwise. #Any number of times I've hurt my index finger and played with the pick between the side of my middle finger and the thumb for a day or two. #It takes only a few seconds to get used to.

250sc
Apr-03-2008, 11:33am
I would suggest do what feels natural at this point but always go for tone. Personally, I find that pushing through the strings with the edge of the pick, not the flat part of the pick parallel to the string, gets me what I'm looking for on guitar and mandolin. Personally, I hold the pick the same way for guitar and mandolin and use the side of the index finger as Celtic Saguaro discribes. You can also experiment with the point of the pick and the rounded part. They sound and feel different from each other.

minkus
Apr-03-2008, 4:42pm
I too hold my pick with my thumb & middle finger, using my index as support. I went to a Mike Marshall workshop about a year ago and he asked everyone to show how we hold our picks. He said the correct way is between the thumb & index with the point of the pick slightly pointed towards the inter part of your hand (kind of hard to explain). But I find that when I try it that way, I usually drop the pick. Also, it works well for picking the notes, but seems to lack on the chop. So I've resorted back to my old habits.

jefflester
Apr-03-2008, 6:03pm
That is the way EVH holds his pick, he does it that way to leave his index finger free for tapping.

I would also say stick with it since it seems more natural to you.

Here's a clip of Andy Irvine playing mando with Planxty, looks like he holds the pick with his middle finger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3A5Tgy47M