PDA

View Full Version : End pin question

TeleMark
Apr-02-2008, 7:07pm
OK, this may be a really stupid question... I recently (read: in the last 4 hours) took delivery of a Petersen Level 1 zouk. This great machine has a guitar bridge pin poked in the hole where I would expect to find a regular end pin.

Whazzup with this? The only straps I have that will work (a guitar-style strap) are too thick so the pin will not seat tightly. Honestly, I'm apprehensive trusting the friction-fit of a pin in a hole. Is this a common thing, and how do I deal with this? Do I have to have a regular pin and plug affixed?

otterly2k
Apr-02-2008, 10:36pm
I strongly recommend contacting Petersen and asking about it.

woodwizard
Apr-02-2008, 10:45pm
That sounds strange. A guitar bridge pin is really tiny.

TeleMark
Apr-02-2008, 10:51pm
OK, it might not be a bridge pin (my guitar is an Ovation with a pinless bridge) but it is a tapered pin that friction-fits in the hole.

I'll see if I can contact Mr. Petersen for some guidance.

Dolamon
Apr-02-2008, 10:54pm
That is odd - those friction fit pins scare me. Years ago I tried using Elmers Glue but that dried out and my juggling experience kept an old Jazz guitar from bouncing on cement. I suppose that the newer synthetic glues might work but - ALL my current instruments now have screw in strap pins - with felt washers.

Normally, the wood Strap pins which come with an instrument are about three times the size of the pins which are used on a bridge. These will fit in a regular guitar strap - two things to look at on your Petersen - is the whole drilled for the small pin and is it all the way through the tail block?

As Karen suggested - contact Petersen. It isn't too difficult to fill in the hole with a shaved dowel or even some square sided tooth picks with some Tru Bond glue ... if the hole doesn't go all the through the block. Just take your time and think it through - it isn't as difficult as it looks.

Celtic Saguaro
Apr-02-2008, 11:57pm
Tapered pins are fairly standard. Even Martin guitars use a tapered end-pin. The end pin on my Petersen is a fairly thin pin. But it has a nice fat head part. I use a guitar strap with it, no problems.

mandroid
Apr-03-2008, 1:04am
All else you can make a tapered pin that fits flush with the surface
and a make a small hole in it,
then screw in a locking strap button.

... of course jack/buttons for pickups will stay put too.

TeleMark
Apr-03-2008, 9:07am
Normally, the wood Strap pins which come with an instrument are about three times the size of the pins which are used on a bridge. These will fit in a regular guitar strap - two things to look at on your Petersen - is the whole drilled for the small pin and is it all the way through the tail block?

As Karen suggested - contact Petersen. It isn't too difficult to fill in the hole with a shaved dowel or even some square sided tooth picks with some Tru Bond glue ... if the hole doesn't go all the through the block. Just take your time and think it through - it isn't as difficult as it looks.
I can look through the hole and read the label on the neck block...

Calling Mr. P. later today.

Bill Snyder
Apr-03-2008, 9:42am
Most high-end acoustic guitars and most high-end mandolins use a tapered endpin like this one.
http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1sm/4975-EP/Ebony_Endpins.jpg

If the tapered pine makes you uncomfortable or if it is not large enough for you strap as mentioned you could plug the hole and screw in one of these.
http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1sm/4975-SB/Ebony_Guitar_Strap_Buttons.jpg

Or you could enlarge the hole and use one of these from Weber.

TeleMark
Apr-04-2008, 9:21am
Or you could enlarge the hole and use one of these from Weber.
What is that? I don't see it on the Weber web page...

JEStanek
Apr-08-2008, 1:16pm
That may be one of the parts form the Weber tailpiece sets like Elderly (http://elderly.com/images/accessories/MPT/WTA-TRAD-A-NKL.jpg) sells. You could call Sound To Earth / Weber (http://www.soundtoearth.com/contactus.php) directly about buying one or maybe Rick B will chime in...

Jamie