PDA

View Full Version : Finally gonna learn...

goober49
Mar-31-2008, 9:38pm
I played guitar for a while and have a pretty good understanding of music. I have always been interested in the Mandolin and have decided that THIS IS THE YEAR.

What is a decent Mandolin for a beginner? I have tried out a few cheapos (STAGG) and would rather spend more money for someething with ALL the notes!

Im looking at the $200 range right now so I can tear it up while learning. (learned to play guitar on a Hondo)

Also, wide necks? I have big hands and have heard about mandolins with wider necks. Im assuming they are more expensive?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

Phil Goodson
Mar-31-2008, 9:50pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=47f1a24a177fb6fa)is a link to search results for beginner AND first AND mandolin.
Several of the threads should be helpful.

By the way, welcome!

Phil

miked500
Mar-31-2008, 9:52pm
yes, welcome. This site is a tremendous resource! Good information, and better people!

Alex Orr
Apr-01-2008, 3:37pm
There are diferences in neck width, but as a whole, I wouldn't be too worried. #I started on guitar and have somewhat large hands (I can palm a basketball fairly easily). #There is a period of adjustment, but if you stick with it, you'll get used to it. #Actually, I've found having large hands (and long fingers) to be a real advantage in playing some of the five fret chop chords.

Oh, and be forewarned, there are a number of "former" guitar players who picked up the mandolin for kicks and quickly forgot about their guitars #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Welcome to the cafe!

(oh, and for the price range you're talking about, look for some of the lower-priced, solid wood Kentucky mandolins - and make sure you budget a wee bit for a good set-up. If you're used to guitar prices, then mandolin prices may be a bit of a shock - just because they are smaller DOES NOT mean they are cheaper)

lespaul_79
Apr-01-2008, 4:15pm
Played guitar for 17 years. Played mando for 7. Comfortable with both fret boards and for me, mandolin is easier.... Seriously.

And when you get together with pickers there's a chance you could be he only mando picker. That's kinda cool... :cool:

So happy I started playing mandolin and becoming addicted to the mandolincafe chat threads.

Oh... and get as much Grisman as possible. Besides that fact that his playing is AMAZING, his list of players is AMAZING, his arrangements are AMAZING, and well... he's the Dawg. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Steve Ostrander
Apr-02-2008, 12:52pm
In that price range, in a new mando, I would look at the Kentucky km505. Used mandos is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Eric F.
Apr-02-2008, 1:04pm
If you can find a Kentucky 505 for $200, let me know where!

pjlama
Apr-02-2008, 1:18pm
For $200 I'll take one too, the street price on them is $475-$500.
OP, welcome and have fun, just make sure you know where your wallet is at all times. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

goober49
Apr-03-2008, 10:33am
I have since come to realize that I am not going to get quality for $200, so I may settle for an old used mando at a local guitar store. (not many in NJ with mando's) Im gonna stop by tonite. They have a MK FSL for $550. and old Fender and an Old Washburn for under $300, I think one was $150. (and the stagg, but Im not that desperate.

If the mando turns out to be MY instrument, I would have no problem getting a gooood one.

I need an amp too. left mine at a friends house 10 years ago. maybe they will give me a bulk discount.

Missed a great deal on a Marshall JCM800 double stack at a house sale. $700! The people thought it was a good deal because it was an old model! (I almost threw up!)

I have Chris Thiles dvd coming in the mail. Ill look into Grisman.

21A4
Apr-04-2008, 6:58pm
Well finally gonna re learn for me. I've been looking at some mando's on e bay. Has anyone heard of Johnson or Copley mandolins.I just want a cheap F style for now till I fell confident and ready for something very good. Any suggestions?

niaflsbob
Apr-04-2008, 9:54pm
IMHO, you should look to spend $500 or more. this way you should end up with a structuraly sound instrument that won't make playing a burden. i feel the same way about guitars by the way. a cheap instrument that develops structural problems is money lost. and it may discourage you from developing on that instrument. lots of good used stuff in the classified for $500 to $1000.

lespaul_79
Apr-05-2008, 11:48am
I hear great things about Gibson A9's.

goober49
Apr-07-2008, 6:47am
I ended up getting a Washburn M1S-DL at the local place. it sounded good, to me, and was not $500! It stays in tune and has no rings. It is surprisingly loud compared to the Michael Kelly that they had for $549. Im not a big fan of the pick guard.

I have been toying with it for about an hour a day...until my fingers start to hurt. Have to toughen them up again.

Been using youtube a lot, Mike Oberst's videos, a few other ones, I love Mandolin Moan and Eyes Closed!

The Thile DVD is a bit advanced for me right now, maybe a few months. Ill have to try some books, any reccomendations?

I asked Gordon Titcomb, he said he pretty much learned by doing.

Oh yeah, I went to Guitar Center and they had 2 mando's. The Ovation, which was pretty nice and an f-style (dont remember the name) $459 and $499. They didnt know that the headstock on the F was broken and glued back on. I asked for a discount and they said $20 since it wasnt structural!

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-07-2008, 10:19am
Keep an eye out in the classifieds here are mandolincafe, as well as on eBay for a used Vagabond from board sponsor Gypsy's Music (http://www.gypsysmusic.com/vagabond.html) (Gypsy's also occassionaly sells a blem or demo on eBay as well, for a nice price -- but you may want to call them to see if they have any in stock that they can give you a deal on).

Even used, these may run a little higher used than your $200 price point (more likely above $300), but you get a lot of bang for your buck with a Gypsy. They have a nice complex tone, great playability, are surprisingly loud, and come with a hardshell case -- plus they have a wide neck as a standard feature (1-1/4" at the nut).

Also, if you want to get a feel for its tone, here is a link to a YouTube vid (http://www.gypsysmusic.com/vagabond.html) of someone playing Whiskey before Breakfast on their Gypsy's Vagabond.

Testimonial: I used to have a Vagabond, and was very happy with it, but had to sell it when I recently bought another mandolin (my wife has a strict one-in-one-out policy that I once agreed to -- under duress I might add). However, I fully expect to commission another Gypsy from them sometime in the future, most likely when I am ready to pull the trigger on a longer scaled mandolin family instrument. (I should be able to successfully argue that a mandola or OM is an altogether different instrument from a mandolin ;)

hoffmannia2k7
Apr-07-2008, 10:40am
so I may settle for an old used mando at a local guitar store. (not many in NJ with mando's)
Goober, there is a store in lambertville, nj just before the bridge above an icecream shop with quite a few really nice used mandolins in the low hundred range! I wish I needed a mandolin cause i would be there in a second!

J.B. Kline that is what it is called.

Happy hunting, just leave me that nice harmony they got

allenhopkins
Apr-07-2008, 12:45pm
Don't know where you are in Jersey, but #Lark Street Music (http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html) in Teaneck has about two dozen mandolins in stock; mostly at the high-priced end, but also Paris Swing, Kentucky, Trinity College. #Might be worth checking out when you're ready to step up; some used Gibsons and Martins not too far from $1K.