PDA

View Full Version : Aonzo Master Class

Jim Garber
Jun-21-2004, 7:39am
On Saturday, I participated in a master class in New York City lead by Carlo Aonzo. The class was attended by myself and 6 other mandolin players. #

The focus of the class was essentially Vivaldi pieces (with one Barbella concerto). It was quite exciting to work with Carlo on the subtleties of the music. His feel for phrasing and the techniques necessary for achieving the soul of the music are exceptional.

All the participants were very competent players on their instruments and the emphasis was not so much on technical playing issues as how to interpret and produce effective ensemble music. The seven of us essentially played as a small chamber ensemble.

We worked on the single mandolin concerto; Concerto Alla Rustica; a violin concerto, and a nice Barbella mandolin concerto.

All in all a very inspiring day.

BTW Carlo is teaching a weekend-long workshop in New York right before the CMSA convention in November. Contact Chaim Caron at ccaron@earthlink.net for further info.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Jun-21-2004, 7:42am
Lucky you, Jim! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim Garber
Sep-05-2004, 7:34pm
Just a reminder that there are still openings in Carlo's workshop as of right now. I believe that there are a few of us bowl-aholics who will attend.

I have been particpating in these wonderful workshops for the last three years. All I can say is that Carlo, like a fine wine, improves with age and each workshop gets better and better. With each workshop, I get completely inspired to improve my playing. Carlo is a great teacher, fantastic musician and a nice guy. In addition, it has been a great group of folks who participate in the workshops, each contributing to the experience in their own way.

For those who don't know him: Carlo Aonzo is an internationally acclaimed mandolin virtuoso from Savona, Italy. This is a special opportunity to study with one of the world's finest mandolinists.

This year, the workshop will consist of the following classes:
Friday 11/12: Master Classes (closed)
Saturday 11/13:
Technique and Exercises (beginner/intermediate) (2 hours)
Technique and Exercises (intermediate/advanced) (2 hours)
Classical Repertoire (2 hours)
Sunday 11/14: Mandolin Orchestra (7 hours)

Reservations are required. Private lessons are available. Please inquire.

For more information, email ccaron@Earthlink.net Please put 'CAMW' in the subject line.

vkioulaphides
Sep-06-2004, 11:06am
Yes, I wholeheartedly second all the above.

As per a group email from Chaim, however, I understand that the Friday masterclasses may still have a slot or two open. I would inquire, if interested...

P.S. I would be interested myself, if only I could look into my crystal ball and see whether some contractor is planning to offer me a gig on 11/12. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif