PDA

View Full Version : Gibson master model

northfolk
Mar-30-2008, 9:54am
I own a Gibson Master Model A5; my first modern day Gibson. I have owned several older Gibsons over the years. I have two questions; both of which I am sure have been discussed on this board before? How do you determine what year it was made? And are all Master Model Gibsons supposed to be signed by someone? Mine is not so I guess I answered my own question; so to rephrase the question, why are some not signed? Thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

bradeinhorn
Mar-30-2008, 11:13am
master model is a term used on all their mandolins. the a-5 mandolins often are not signed. typically it is just the f-5l models up. you can use the serial number to date it.

Bill Snyder
Mar-30-2008, 11:23am
If I understand it correctly all current Gibsons (from the a-9 up) say master model on the label. There is also the top of the line f-5 mandolins that are THE Master Model and Distressed Master Model.
It is confusing and been the subject of more than one thread in the past.

jk245
Mar-30-2008, 11:24am
for serial number year and location of mfg:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

GIBSON Serial Number (http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/)

birdman98
Mar-31-2008, 7:59pm
I'm feeling stupid today.

Can one of you Gibson guys make some sense of this serial number for me

When was this sucker built??

JimW
Mar-31-2008, 8:12pm
That was made on November 25, 2003 and was the third one produced that day.

birdman98
Mar-31-2008, 8:17pm
Thanks, Jim.

earthsave
Apr-01-2008, 10:55am
My Flatiron has a Master Model sticker in it.

surfandstrum
Apr-13-2008, 2:57pm
Has anyone played the Derrington signed Master Models at First Quality Music? It looks like there are 2 there and I've seen them there for a bit and always wondered why they haven't sold (being signed by the "Late Great Mr. Derrington).

woodwizard
May-09-2008, 4:42pm
My 03' A5L was signed by Danny Roberts ... it had 2 labels. So I think all those were signed. The F5G's were not signed tho.

pjlama
May-10-2008, 10:10am
Has anyone played the Derrington signed Master Models at First Quality Music? #It looks like there are 2 there and I've seen them there for a bit and always wondered why they haven't sold (being signed by the "Late Great Mr. Derrington).
There was a thread one these. They're asking 20k for MM's not DMM's so I think the price is keeping them from selling. Typically Ferns on up get signed, maybe Goldrushes too, I've never seen one.

Timbofood
May-13-2008, 11:38am
I played the "Derrington signed" MM at Elderly. Sorry, but, I was "underwhelmed." I had expected something to light me up and I just didn't feel it. Granted, I didn't "Whup it like a Mule" or anything, maybe the ones at "First" are hotter.

carleshicks
May-15-2008, 11:31am
i believe the one at Elderly is a Fern not a "Master Model" even though the Fern has a Master Model Label, but I have not been to Elderly in a few weeks so i may be wrong.

red7flag
May-15-2008, 1:05pm
Just checked the one at Elderly is a Distressed Master Model being sold as new. Has been with them since they had the Gibson dealership removed. It is for sale for $20500. The description on the website does not say Derrington signed. There is a Derringer signed MM at First Quality for 22K. That was the subject of a long thread discussing the merits of a Derringer signed instrument.
Tony

woodwizard
May-15-2008, 1:50pm
Those CD signed MM's I heard are suppose to be the best. As far as other Gibsons signed I believe the F5L's, A5L's, Goldrush's, and all the signature models were all double labeled and signed. The F5G's were not or very rarely. I think the new A5 model may not be signed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jonathan James
May-15-2008, 4:11pm
I played that Distressed MM at Elderly as well. Underwhelmed is the operative term. If Elderly is truly serious about selling a $20K instrument, suggest they change the strings and keep the thing tuned up and set up, at a minimum...

nashvillebill
May-15-2008, 4:59pm
I played that Distressed MM at Elderly as well. Underwhelmed is the operative term. If Elderly is truly serious about selling a $20K instrument, suggest they change the strings and keep the thing tuned up and set up, at a minimum...
It's always puzzled me why music stores don't ever seem to change strings or make sure the instruments are set up- cost I suppose, but it seems it would payoff with more sales. There are always salespeople standing around doing nothing- put 'em to work I say! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif You can go to the Gibson Showcase and it's amazing how poorly a lot of the instruments are set up- and almost all have rusty strings.

Bernie Daniel
May-17-2008, 9:33pm
nashvillebill: You can go to the Gibson Showcase and it's amazing how poorly a lot of the instruments are set up- and almost all have rusty strings.

Yes that is pretty amazing. #Save a penny -- lose a dollar.

You would think they would write that off under advertising anyway. #

I remember several years ago a local store that had a used Gibson F-5G that they got in on trade for a new Martin box. #It was real good one. It blew a lot of folks away at first when it had relatively fresh strings on it.

So I used to make an offer on it every once in a while -- but they were hanging tough on a higher price cause lots of other folks were also interested in it and picking and raving on it every day. #

But after about a year the mandolin was still unsold but now strings were cruddy and absolutely dead -- and the mandolin sounded clunky and not inspiring. #

One day when I was in the store the owner asked if I was still interested in that mandolin for the price I had quoted - he want to move it because interest in it had cooled and no one was paying it much attention.

I did not end up buying it but I think the investment in new strings would have been well worth it for that store but it never seemed to occur to them. #Strange.

pager
May-19-2008, 10:49am
I don't think a lot of stores really 'get' it. There is a local store here that I would like to support, but I have been there when they are unloading new instruments. They come out of the box and go right on the hook. No set up at all. Then they put a nearly full retail price on the instrument. OK ... If I am going to buy an instrument with the set up right out of the box, why would I pay nearly full retail plus tax when I can buy the same thing at 40 to 50% off from a big online store and pay no tax with free shipping? Not that I like to shop for instruments that way - but if they are going to charge me 40% more, that hummer better play like butter when I pick it off the rack and the strings better be new. Geez! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

tkdboyd
May-19-2008, 11:15am
I know the problem with the stores in my area is that since they have to compete with catalog volume prices, one store in the area actually competes with MF in price of course they don't have anything better than a 499.00 MM-50 Epiphone, they can't afford to do any set up. The capital investment of keeping a shop open is so high, and the pricing of instruments so low they just can't do the set up.

Or at least that I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that that is the case.

I try to buy strings for my beater instruments locally, and I buy the rest of my accessories locally (except for picks). The value of them being 5 min down the road is so great, can't imagine what would become of local music if the local music store wasn't around. That being said, sadly I can't/won't buy a new mandolin from any them!

lovethemf5s
May-19-2008, 11:21am
I played that Distressed MM at Elderly as well. Underwhelmed is the operative term. #If Elderly is truly serious about selling a $20K instrument, suggest they change the strings and keep the thing tuned up and set up, at a minimum...
I bought my pacrim travel mandolin from Elderly. They claimed it had been through their shop, checked out and set up but when I received it, it was almost unplayable. It's pretty good now that I had my luthier put on a new nut, reslot the bridge and new strings. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

earthsave
May-20-2008, 11:32am
I played that Distressed MM at Elderly as well. Underwhelmed is the operative term. #If Elderly is truly serious about selling a $20K instrument, suggest they change the strings and keep the thing tuned up and set up, at a minimum...
I bought my pacrim travel mandolin from Elderly. They claimed it had been through their shop, checked out and set up but when I received it, it was almost unplayable. It's pretty good now that I had my luthier put on a new nut, reslot the bridge and new strings. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
I've bought two budget mandolins from Elderly and both came highly playable. That was several years ago.