PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin neck

DENNY7P
Mar-29-2008, 9:19pm
WHEN TUNING, AFTER CHECKING THE OPENS STRINGS I ALWAYS CHECK AT THE TWELVE FRETT,TO SEE IF THE BRIDGE IS SET OKAY,MINE IS RIGHT ON.HOW FAR DOWN THE FRET BOARD SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO GO,AND STILL GET A NOTE, WITH NOT MUCH OF A PROBLEM. THE ACTION IS PRETTY HIGH AT THE BOTTOM OF THE NECK.I'AM THINKING THE NECK IS LIFTING,I CAN'T TELL BY LOOKING??? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

markishandsome
Mar-30-2008, 10:32am
I can't ell without looking, but I'd guess your neck is fine. If your bridge is adjustable you might try lowering it a bit to bring the strings down closer to the higher frets. The problem most people have with fretting up high is that the frets or too close together to note cleanly, NOT that the strings are too far from the frets to push down. If lowering the bridge does not work you may need to take the instrument in to a repair person to have it set up properly. A final thought, I and a lot of other people have a hard time reading posts written in ALL CAPS.

Geoff B
Mar-30-2008, 10:49am
HOW FAR DOWN THE FRET BOARD SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO GO,AND STILL GET A NOTE, WITH NOT MUCH OF A PROBLEM

The expectation would depend on the quality of your mando. A very nice one should play nicely all the way up (you may need to change your style some, but the note should ring out) and cheaper ones will have some unuseable frets up there. My first mando (A rover) couldn't play cleanly past the 14th fret. It cost $80.
You can check the neck bow (usually accompanies lifting) with any flat straight thing (ruler, post card, piece of paper etc.). Lay it on the fretboard and see how much a gap is in the middle of the fretboard. An itsy-bit is fine (called "relief"). Try Mark's advice of lowering the bridge to just above where it buzzes, see how it goes then.