Phil Goodson
Mar-28-2008, 8:19pm
IDEAS:

Cumberland Acoustic
Randy Wood
Red Henry

300win
Mar-28-2008, 9:40pm
Just recieved a Cumberland Acoustic today. Used the Stew-Mac bridge fitting jig. Really made a big differance on my mandolin, and I also got the silver thumbwheels. They are lighter than the nickel ones. And I think that made a differance in the tone on my mandolin. It is woodier now, and louder. I have an A-9 Gibson. I highly recommend the CA bridge and the Stew-Mac bridge fitting tool.

Michael Lewis
Mar-29-2008, 12:06am
For what sort of mandolin?

Stephen Perry
Mar-29-2008, 8:02am
Seem to be too many parameters for any universal statement on the matter. Mass. Mass distribution. Material. Design. Contact area and shape.

mcgannahanskjellifetti
Apr-04-2008, 12:08pm
Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, so I'll just stick it here....

I ordered a Red Henry maple bridge for my Kentucky KM-172 and my friend Steve just fit it for me and sent me these pics. I have to wait until tomorrow to see what kind of tonal difference it makes. He used a custom black walnut/red mahogany stain which turned out quite lovely.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k115/asc67/IMG_0441.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k115/asc67/IMG_0440.jpg

mandroid
Apr-04-2008, 1:08pm
When there are several high quality makers of bridges , 'Best' ...
it's bound to be getting pretty darn subjective.

pick one best song/tune http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Oliver R
Sep-23-2009, 7:18am
Apologies for exhuming threads but I wondered if the person with the red henry bridge on the kentucky oval would care to comment on the results.
I ask as I have the same model mandolin and am contemplating making one of these myself.
Cheers oliver

Kevin K
Sep-23-2009, 12:13pm
Don't forget about Roger Siminoff bridges.

Sheryl McDonald
Sep-23-2009, 6:11pm
I had a Red Henry solid maple bridge put on my Weber. Made a big difference. Then I had a setup and Cumberland Acoustics bridge put on by Big Joe. HUGE HUGE difference. Amazing how all those little parts look exactly alike (maker to maker) but obviously don't sound the same.

mandozilla
Sep-23-2009, 9:04pm
I vote for Cumberland Acoustics...I'm completely satisfied with mine and that's all I'll ever use. :grin:

~o) :mandosmiley:

Potosimando
Sep-23-2009, 9:31pm
Don't forget about Randy-Wood bridges. RW does have a well documented understanding of tone. I assume that one can still order a bridge from him.

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-24-2009, 2:54am
For a 'traditional' style bridge,there are a few good ones,but the make that always comes to my mind (& the minds of many of us on here) is Cumberland Acoustics,for the simple reason that they are excellent & have gained their reputation by being just that. I fitted one to a Mandolin i once owned & it improved the sound greatly,
Ivan

Hans
Sep-24-2009, 6:12am
When it comes down to it, the standards and specs for the F5 bridge are set. As long as they are to spec, they are all good. After that it comes down to fitting and $$.
I use Cumberland Acoustics...

Big Joe
Sep-24-2009, 6:47pm
There are several good bridges available, but I prefer the Cumberland Acoustic for several reasons. First, Steve Smith is a very good friend and I want to help his business as much as I can. Second, he is local and easy to get what I need when I need it. Besides, I usually pick them up and get to spend a bit of quality time with Steve and his crew. I love cool shops and his is certainly cool!

The other thing about the CA bridge is that they have been refined by constant work to achieve the best Loar type with intonation set as good as any bridge of this kind can be. The bridges have plenty of wood so they can be cut and fit to the mandolin for optimal performance for that mandolin. I can tell Steve what I need and it is ready for me when I need it and it always works right. That is worth a lot to me.

The big thing is the way the bridge is cut for that particular mandolin and how it is fit to the top. The saddle has to be the right one and cut right for that mandolin and its neck angle. While just sticking a bridge on there may seem simple, it is a lot more than just fitting it generally to the top and letting it go. Then one must have the right setup for that mandolin including the nut material for that mandolin and the sound your are trying to achieve. The fret condition and crowning is also critical as is the tailpiece and tuners.

It would be nice to say that it is just the bridge, but in reality optimal tone and playability for any particular mandolin is not quite that simple. It is the sum of many small pieces that make the whole work at its best. I guess that's why there are people like us and Hans and Gail and others in this business. If it were easy, anyone could do it :) .

Banjojon
Sep-25-2009, 3:57pm
Hi Rick,
what are the strings on the mandolin? gut?
thanks, John.

Martian
Sep-26-2009, 8:05am
I have seen, with some pretty drastic changes on 3 mandos that I know of these bone bridge replacements that fit on the top half of your bridge. Notably in volume and not a giant difference in tone, (which is where I expexted to see it). It should also be noted that they were low to mid priced mandos,but still interesting. I wonder if this is discussed much in equipment area

Bill Snyder
Sep-28-2009, 4:04pm
Apologies for exhuming threads but I wondered if the person with the red henry bridge on the kentucky oval would care to comment on the results.
I ask as I have the same model mandolin and am contemplating making one of these myself.
Cheers oliver

That member has not logged into the Mandolin Cafe since last December so I don't think I would expect an answer.

DerTiefster
Sep-29-2009, 9:49pm
But some folks do drop back into "lurk mode" for extended periods of time. Sort of like reading the CoMando list but not responding. And sometimes folks forget their password and need a prompt like this to get it reset. Just comments.

Glassweb
Sep-29-2009, 10:12pm
Most of the top mando luthiers today seem to prefer the good-ol' Loar-style ebony bridge. An believe me, they've all done PLENTY of experimentation in the hope of finding something "better". Sometimes the standard is the way to go...