PDA

View Full Version : Hill mandolins no. 20 & 21

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:23pm
I finally have these mandolins finished!!! It seems like it's taken me forever to get them done, but I think they've come out nice. They both have red spruce tops and red maple back, sides and top. The standard bound one, No. 21, has a Virzi in it. I had to try it just to see what the outcome would be. They both sound very good to me, but I do favor the Virzi one for it's darker and definately more complex tone, even though it doesn't have the punch of the side bound one (No. 20). The Virzi mandolin has a little dryer tone too. No. 20 is really vibrant and has tons of mids. They both have a radius fretboard with the banjo wire, and a 14" scale. They also have Elite tuners, one with the engraved James, the other with a Monteleone. The playability on these istruments is what I'm most proud of. They're really easy to play. The varnish I'm still trying to get a better handle on, and I decided not to try to make these look like lacquer like I did on my last batch of varnished mandos. The finish is extremely thin and shows lots of character in the wood. Too much "character"http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif It's according to how you like 'em, slick or with a little more texture. These are definately in the latter category. Hope you enjoy!!!

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:24pm
I'm still struggling to get my pictures to look better on here...

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:25pm
Tops

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:28pm
Headstocks

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:29pm
No 20 Top

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:30pm
No 21 Back

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:31pm
No 21 Top

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:32pm
A few "two mandolins" shots!

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:33pm
And...

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:33pm
Backs

Brad H
Mar-26-2008, 2:34pm
Last one for now.

mandopete
Mar-26-2008, 2:38pm
You got skills!

Scotti Adams
Mar-26-2008, 3:07pm
Very nice....you should be proud. Congrats!

Kevin K
Mar-26-2008, 4:04pm
Looks very nice Brad.

Skip Kelley
Mar-26-2008, 4:21pm
Just plain awesome! Nice work Brad!!

bkhooper
Mar-27-2008, 4:13pm
Awesome set!!! Do they have a home yet?

Crowder
Mar-27-2008, 4:44pm
I've only played one of Brad's instruments, but it was a good'un.

Dan Voight
Mar-27-2008, 5:46pm
Nice! I love your logo.

Brad H
Mar-27-2008, 7:11pm
Thanks guys! Right now these babys are homeless. I've had a bunch of inquiries about my mandolins, but it's hard for people to buy without hearing, I know I couldn't. I hope I don't have too much trouble selling them, hopefully I'll be able to hit some festivals and show them off a little. Anybody in Southwest Va is more than welcome to come by the shop and try them out!

Mark Walker
Mar-28-2008, 9:49am
Well done! Well done! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

UnityGain
Mar-28-2008, 6:13pm
Those are beautiful...

And, wow, thats a short fingerboard, I think its the shortest I've ever seen. Since they were production not custom -- whats the logic?

Also, price? I couldnt find it on your webpage (but I garentee its more than I can afford, but one can dream though)

Brad H
Mar-28-2008, 7:34pm
" wow, thats a short fingerboard, I think its the shortest I've ever seen. Since they were production not custom -- whats the logic? "

Hmmm, it is pretty short, I guess. But if you're going to abbreviate one, you might as well do it right!!! You can still grab a high C though! The logic behind the features of these mandolins is to put together something that would be accepted by as many prospective buyers as possible. You sure can't please everybody with one instrument, but the radius board, banjo fretwire, and abbreviated extention are features that are more geared
toward playing comfort. With a fingerboard that short, you'll be able to play as far toward the nut as you'd probably want to without any clicking noises. The varnish finish is more for look and vibe than sound in my opinion. The binding combintations and other things are cues that I've taken from various prospective buyers. At the sake of not violating any forum rules, shoot me an e-mail for pricing on these! bhill@hillmandolins.com

G. Fisher
Mar-28-2008, 8:25pm
It's only 2 frets shorter than a Collings as you can see in this picture from Eldery.

Crowder
Mar-28-2008, 8:49pm
I'd guess that extension is no shorter than a Steffey model Gibson. I don't use those frets anyway.

mindology
May-15-2008, 12:01pm
Hey guys... here is a video of #20

Enjoy!

Jason McCulley on the Hill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8JMzcCVKzs)

mindology
May-17-2008, 9:34pm
I am the proud owner of this mandolin...

The mids on #20 is something that really makes this thing pop. It has a really "honky" tone in the lower register. It actually reminds me of a Nugget I played once. I always have favored darker sounding instruments.

Also, the finish is very interesting because it has a finished "distressed" vibe to it without being distressed. It just looks like it is old, but the finish is flawless. Kind of a weird combo that works. I can not tell you guys how impressed I am with it.

I would love to play the Virzi mando too. Haven't been too fond of the virzi effect on volume, but they certainly have a place when applied the right way.

bkhooper
May-23-2008, 7:57am
congratulations.....those are certainly beautifull instruments. I love the colors on both of them.

ken

Yonkle
Jun-27-2008, 2:36am
Did you find any advantages building in pAIRS???
I too am doing a pair, and all I see is it goes slower.
By the way your tones and stain job,finish ect. is "drop dead,over the top,gourgous!" Very nice work! Jd