PDA

View Full Version : Poe #20

cbarry
Mar-26-2008, 2:03pm
Well, here is is.
It was more than a little scary, ordering a $2500 mandolin sight unseen, but it's even better than I hoped it would be.
I wanted an F2 with a 1 1/4" nut width and a radius and I'd never even played that combination before. Here's what I emailed Andy about it:
Andy, The neck feels great. I like the width and the profile a lot. I'm having a little trouble adjusting to the balance of an F style, though. I've just played A styles for the last year or so. I'll experiment with a different strap first.
The main problem, though, is that I can't decide if I'd rather look at it or play it. I'll try playing in the mirror, I guess.
I notice different things about it every time I pick it up. It seems more "alive" than any other mandolin I've played. The mid range and high end sounds are fantastic. Once these strings break in, I think the low end will be more to my liking, too. Not bad now, just not as mellow as I prefer. But it's really even sounding all across the range. More so than any of the others I've had. (Flatiron, Rigel.)
More to come.
Enjoy the photos. Andy has more on his site. (These are his, not mine.)
Chuck

cbarry
Mar-26-2008, 2:04pm
Another photo

cbarry
Mar-26-2008, 2:06pm
And one of the incredible one-piece back.

cbarry
Mar-26-2008, 2:07pm
Last one for now.

Jason Nagati
Mar-26-2008, 2:47pm
Looking good - simple, elegant.
Don't play in front of the mirror. Your fingering will end up backwards.:)

JEStanek
Mar-26-2008, 3:04pm
Fantastic! Good chices and execution looks spot on! Elegant.

Jamie

Steve Cantrell
Mar-26-2008, 3:46pm
That backwood is crazy good, and all this does is feed my jonesing for an F4.

cooper4205
Mar-26-2008, 3:54pm
$2500 for that!?! That's a downright steal!

Skip Kelley
Mar-26-2008, 6:11pm
Looks awesome! Andy's work is like fine art! Enjoy!

cbarry
Mar-26-2008, 8:17pm
!rorrim a esu t'ndluohs I .thgir er'uoY
But you might have to use one to read that. (My fingering isn't the only thing that ended up backwards.)
Chuck ; )

Brad Weiss
Mar-26-2008, 9:31pm
Two
Thousand
Five
Hundred
# #dollars?!?!

THAT is a deal!!! Enjoy!

F5G WIZ
Mar-27-2008, 4:47am
The hits just keep on comin! Great work Andy and congratulations Chuck. 2500.00 WOW. If your's is like mine you will have to raise the insurance on it soon to keep up with it's rising value. Ive raised mine twice in a year and a half.

F5G WIZ
Mar-27-2008, 6:50am
I just went to Andy's web page and din't see any new pics. #You sure he posted them? Also a question, I see andys cheapest price for an F model is 3200.00 what did you delete to get it down to 2500.00 I noticed the back is not bound, anything else?

Steve Cantrell
Mar-27-2008, 6:57am
They're on there--check out 18, Darrin.

JLock
Mar-27-2008, 8:31am
I think all that happened was that Andy's prices went up. I am sure everyone would agree that with Andy's spectactular work he is totally justified in raising prices.

F5G WIZ
Mar-27-2008, 8:39am
Oh absolutely. #You must have ordered yours before the last price increase. #Is his webpage still poetone.com?
OK I found it at Poestrings. Guess I missed the memo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Wow the back of the uke is amazing!!! He should put a link to his driftwood mandolins on there as well.

F5G WIZ
Mar-27-2008, 8:49am
Hey Steve I checked out your blog. Your coming along well! Definitely see some Compton influences there. You should go to the Monroe style camp in Sept. I'm going, can't wait. Compton is going to be there along with some others.

steve V. johnson
Mar-27-2008, 9:46am
Fantastic, what a beautiful instrument! Kudos, many kudos, to Andy Poe!

That's a lovely design combination, I'm a big fan of the wider fretboard.

Congratulations and thanks for the pix! I'm sure you're in for a long and joyful time with this one.

stv

cbarry
Mar-27-2008, 3:56pm
Okay, I guess my memory is fading a bit. I ordered it quite a while ago when his prices were lower. Then the basic F was $2700, then I paid a hundred for the rosette and another hundred for for stainless frets. In keeping with the F2 style, neither the back nor the peghead are bound, which saved Andy some work--and me some money.
Still a deal, as far as I'm concerned.
Chuck

F5G WIZ
Mar-27-2008, 6:09pm
Oh yeah, you got a great deal! Beautiful instrument.

cbarry
Mar-27-2008, 8:26pm
Thank you everybody. I still can't believe it.
Chuck

Steve-o
Mar-27-2008, 8:44pm
#20 is a beauty Chuck. Glad you like it. Welcome to the club.

Wilson
Mar-29-2008, 7:50am
Chuck, that's a beautiful mandolin. I suspect the tone will mellow with playing. I have Andy's #2 and the thing has opened up quite a bit over time. Congratulations!

redelfmusic
Jul-11-2008, 3:33am
Congrats on the mandolin! I'm Nathan, proud owner of Poe #09 and the artist that records most of the sound bites for Andy's site. I remember playing that one! It was excellent. I'm glad to see Andy's work being displayed! If anyone who has posted on this topic doesn't own a Poe, they should get one. Definitely.

mandopluker
Jul-11-2008, 5:44am
Chuck,

Congrats ! ! ! ...and yet another affordable beauty by Andy....

Mark Walker
Jul-11-2008, 7:37am
Chuck - beautiful mandolin and a great deal. I've never had a Poe in my hands, but have heard nothing but good things about Andy's instruments! Enjoy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Adam Tracksler
Jul-11-2008, 7:48am
nice mandolin. I have an F4 from John Hamlett that sounds wonderful, I experimented with a few dozen strings before I landed on the Jazzmando flatwounds, you may want to try them out, they absolutely rock on an oval hole.

F5G WIZ
Jul-24-2008, 1:29am
DId you take possesion of #20 yet?

cbarry
Aug-01-2008, 4:48pm
Hi, I've had it for a few months now and I just put on a set of JM-11s and I love them. Now it's about perfect!

Thanks for all the compliments!

Chuck

F5G WIZ
Aug-01-2008, 7:06pm
I keep waiting for updated photos on Andy's website. He is so busy he barely has time for his web page!

Charlie Ayers
Aug-01-2008, 8:05pm
He makes beautiful mandolins. Can anyone tell me about the tone of his F-5's? Traditional or otherwise?

Charlie

F5G WIZ
Aug-07-2008, 3:32am
Mine has a great Bluegrass tone which is what I asked Andy for, great bark that really projects well. He can build to suit most any musical taste.

redelfmusic
Aug-10-2008, 7:37pm
[QUOTE]He makes beautiful mandolins. Can anyone tell me about the tone of his F-5's? Traditional or otherwise?

I own one of his F-5s and it's got barkiness and meloness. Very good balance... made with traditional loar woods too i believe.