PDA

View Full Version : Matt flinner workshop

steveprince
Mar-26-2008, 9:18am
Hey folks -

I have an opportunity to attend a Matt Flinner mandolin workshop in a couple weeks, and I was looking for some advice. I'm not a particularly advanced mandolin player -- I've played guitar for awhile, so my fingers are nimble enough, but I don't know all that many tunes and I'm not that familiar with the mandolin fretboard. I'm sure I'll walk away with a lot of really helpful stuff, I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to embarrass myself at the workshop.

Will I be able to hang in a Flinner workshop? Will it help me out? The description makes it sound basic enough for anybody, which is encouraging.

Anyway, any thought on workshops in general or Matt Flinner in particular would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

chip
Mar-26-2008, 9:39am
Matt's a great guy and very patient. I wouldn't "fret" too much about it. Try to learn one tune before going in and he'll work with you on technique, which basically will be DUD picking..(down up down up down up,etc.). He'll probably give you some excercises to work on and you'll be fine. Watch his right hand technique and try to emulate the motion in your own playing. I think you'll walk away with a new vision of how the mandolin is supposed to be played as opposed to winging it. You may want to subscribe to www.bluegrasscollege.org where he has a number of songs for download and teaching. You'll have a lot of fun. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

DonQuixote
Mar-27-2008, 11:22pm
Matt's workshops are great for all levels. #Seriously! #Don't even think twice! #He's great about going back to basics (in ways that are helpful to everyone) and he doesn't run the workshops in a manner that would force you to feel obligated to 'catch up' or feel embarrassed around better players. #It's a lot of sitting and absorbing his advice. #Matt's a fantastic player and just as amazing of a teacher... go, and have fun! #You will be so inspired afterwards....

Hal Loflin
Mar-27-2008, 11:39pm
Steve:

We have conducted three Flinner workshops in the middle Tennessee area and I have to echo what has been said. Matt is one of the nicest guys you will meet. He is also a fine teacher and will not embarass you in any way.

Like you said, you will come away with a ton of info and this will give you plenty to work on to increase your level of playing.

Two suggestions:

1. Take a tape recorder and record the workshop. He did not have any problem with this in the sessions we have done. That way you can go back and re-listen to what is being said. He will have handouts.

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Please post back how it went.

Enjoy!

R. Kane
Mar-27-2008, 11:43pm
Steve: I'm heading to the workshop in CT, and I went to one last year with him in NH. The previous posters are right. Even the 20% that you can grab at the workshop will be helpful, and if you bring a recorder and listen to it, extensively, you can get another 20% in the following months. Plus, its so inspiring to observe his facility and technique with the instrument. RK

Crowder
Mar-28-2008, 7:11pm
I wouldn't miss it for the world if I were you. In fact I'm sad to hear he's given three clinics in Middle TN and I've missed them all!

bgjunkie
Mar-28-2008, 8:13pm
I have been to two of the three workshops that Matt has done in Middle TN and I have walked away both times with plenty to work on (now if I would only practice what he taught). As has already been said, Matt is a great guy and will help you with the things you need help with if you ask. The last workshop he did he covered some great right and left hand exercises, arpegios, and improvising. He will cover other stuff if it is requested and there is time. You won't regret going.

chip
Mar-28-2008, 8:27pm
I video taped my two hours with Matt which was a great help to watch his technique. Plus the fact that I heard/watched myself which I realized I'm not all that bad even though I hiccuped some of the songs.I encouraged him to consider offering an instructional DVD as from what I experienced he has a lot to offer...

Crowder
Mar-28-2008, 8:57pm
Most musicians that are willing to clinics are great about sharing their knowledge. Plus, I think you can get a lot of perspective from being around a person who has mastered the instrument. When you hear them play in person without a mic or the wall of stereo sound you get on recordings, you realize that these are just people who play their instrument really well. They don't have extra hands or fingers and they aren't defying the laws of physics. That's not a bad thing to experience in person no matter your current level.

I took a guitar lesson from a big-name player once. He was an awful teacher and didn't put any effort into the experience. He didn't even want to answer my questions--he just wanted to run through some fiddle tunes. I actually cut it short after 45 minutes and then he steered me toward his videos and CD's. As if! YET AND STILL I was able to learn a few things from it, just by observing him.

So I say go. If you get one "a-ha" out of it it's probably worth the price.

steveprince
Mar-30-2008, 6:18pm
Hi all -

Thanks for all the great advice. I was already excited about this workshop, but the overwhelmingly positive response has been really good to hear. I can't wait. I'll let you know how it goes.

...oh yeah. any advice on a cheap recording gizmo?

thanks,
Steve

Avi Ziv
Mar-31-2008, 9:27am
I just signed up for the workshop in New Hope, PA and I'm very excited about it! Anyone else going to this one? I just heard that it's almost full.

Avi

SternART
Mar-31-2008, 10:25am
Another way to look at this is you are also helping support a great mandolin talent.
It is hard to earn a living playing mando & not only do you learn something and
get to experience an artist like Matt (up close and personal)but these workshops
help them supplement their income from performing. IMO everyone wins!!!

Avi Ziv
Apr-08-2008, 2:57pm
I'm getting ready for the PA workshop tomorrow and very much looking forward to it. Anyone else on the cafe going to this one?

Avi

Fred G
Apr-09-2008, 7:42am
I am going, anybody else from the cafe?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

woodysny
Apr-09-2008, 9:29am
I am going.

Steve-in-PA
Apr-12-2008, 6:03am
I'll be there too!!

sam b
Apr-14-2008, 11:58am
Hey-
I was going to try and make the workshop in New Hope. Can anyone give me a review of how it was?
Thanks,
Sam