PDA

View Full Version : Weber anniversary mandolin

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:39pm
So here's my story. By day I'm a forensic psychologist. But by night, I reclaim my humanity through music. For 26 years, I've played on a trusty, but simple, Ibanez mandolin. In celebrating our 20th Anniversary, my beautiful bride said she wanted to buy me the mandolin of my dreams - which was of course a Weber! Here's some of what went into this anniversary heirloom.

First, what you don't see:
Tone-bar bracing, which ages better over time.
A cedar top, which makes for a richer sound and better projection.
A McIntyre Acoustic Feather pick-up, the perfect assist when playing in church with enthusiastic banjo players, electric keyboardists and drummers.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:41pm
Second, what's up front:
A custom "filled" tailpiece that matches the color of the cedar top (Mary at, Weber/Sound-to-Earth, suggested this).
A "Wood-Nymph" with custom inlay of "Hypomone" - a Konia Greek word that roughly translates "God's grace under fire."
A fossilized, walrus-bone bridge and nut. #This improves tone and volume. #Vern was kind enough to create a custom "Brekke" bridge on this.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:43pm
A Gecko inlay in the scalloped fret-board. In the desert Southwest, the sighting of a gecko is considered to be a blessing upon a home. The three stones on his back are sapphire - the stone for September (the month we married and the birth month for both of our children).
I wanted a finger rest, and Mary wisely suggested making it scalloped to flow with the fret-board.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:44pm
A truss-rod cover inlaid with "Wonder" - my middle name (my parents had a sense of humor).
The "Fern" abalone headstock. An upgrade for the Yellowstone.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:45pm
Thirdly, on the back:
A cross in the heel - a reflection of the most significant relationship in my life.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:46pm
The headstock inlay - the date of our 20th wedding anniversary. This was an innovative design suggested by Mary.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:58pm
A custom Weber “W” gold tone-gard that Tony (at Tone-gard) built special.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 6:59pm
A closer shot.

PsychoMando
Mar-21-2008, 7:00pm
What can I tell you? She plays like a dream. This truly is a treasured family heirloom that, by God's grace, will be passed down for generations. The team at Weber was fantastic to work with, and Mary has the patience of Mother Theresa.

So if you're ever sitting in a jail in Tucson, Arizona, and having a psychologist evaluate your sanity, ask him about his Weber-Wonder (maybe he'll put in a good word to the judge!).

Happy Pickin' - Paul

Steve Cantrell
Mar-21-2008, 7:00pm
That's one pretty mandolin, and a good story. Hope it's a paint peeler.

Gibsonman
Mar-21-2008, 7:04pm
Psychomando very nice. You and your wife made a good team putting it all together. Johm.

goose 2
Mar-21-2008, 7:27pm
I really enjoyed reading about the significance of all the options you did. Cool looking mandolin and I wish you great times playing it and great memories of you by your heirs as they enjoy playing it. I hope thats not for a very long time!

Carleton Page
Mar-21-2008, 7:52pm
Really nice. With all the super nice wood and upgrades. Can you tell me how it differs from the Fern?(Besides the shape of the extention.) I like all the custom appointments and reasons for them. Souinds like you already have the connection with this instrument that everyone is looking for.

mandozilla
Mar-22-2008, 2:20am
Psychomando -
Where can I get a woman like your wife Mary? Does she have any sisters? Beautiful Mando and you're a lucky man to have such a wife.

Arto
Mar-22-2008, 4:26am
Congratulations for you mando, and for your relationships! It´s beautiful to see such a work of art, with custom details that really carry a personal meaning.

PS: I especially liked the gecko and the contoured finger rest...

F5G WIZ
Mar-22-2008, 5:39am
Beautiful, many very nice features. I like how the pick gaurd scallop matches the scallop in the fretboard extension. Nice touch.

BlueMountain
Mar-22-2008, 6:56am
Hmm. I think hypomene translates more as "patient endurance" than as "God's grace under fire," but it will make people ask questions. Pretty fancy!

Chris Biorkman
Mar-22-2008, 7:18am
Have I seen this one before or am I taking crazy pills?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-22-2008, 7:33am
Yes, I believe it was posted back in 2006. It looks to be the same message. It's gained a Tonegard.

PsychoMando
Mar-22-2008, 10:19am
Man-Doh!-Maniacs:
Thank you for kind things you've said, and some great questions. #So, as to the questions:

1. Ctone's question, Yellowstone vs. Fern -
The cedar-top Yellowstone has a louder response and a bit of a deeper bark. #Meanwhile, I recently bought the Fern from Dennis at The Mandolin Shop. #I had Sound to Earth also do a bone bridge and nut. #I'd say the Fern has a more complex and subtle tone to it, which will continue to open up more at she ages. #Both are a pleasure to play.

2. Blue Mountain's question - Hupomene
Yes, it literally translates "to remain under". #It is used in the New Testament 32 times. #In biblical context it often carries a connotation of Divinely-assisted endurance - beyond that of human effort. #

3. Biorkman - deja vu
Yes, sometime over a year ago I posted on this. #I recently had a buddy photograph the new Fern, as well as the Yellowstone. #This included shots of the new tone-gard. #So I thought it would be fun to post the new pictures. #Now, about those crazy pills . . .
Happy Pick'n http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Phil Goodson
Mar-23-2008, 12:46pm
Hmm. I think hypomene translates more as "patient endurance" than as "God's grace under fire," but it will make people ask questions. Pretty fancy!
======================
Quote:"...2. Blue Mountain's question - Hupomene..."

============================================
Is the word Hypomene, hupomene, or hupomone???

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-15-42885-W_Tail.jpg

Phil

PsychoMando
Mar-25-2008, 2:11pm
Good question Philphool!
"Hupomone" is the noun form of the word and translates "to remain under". #"Hupomene" is the present tense verb form, as in "he is remaining under." #Imagine, we're parsing greek verbs, and jamming on mandolins. #Is this America or what! #
Happy Pick'n
Paul

mandopete
Mar-25-2008, 2:32pm
What can I tell you? #She plays like a dream. #
How do you know it's a girl?

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-25-2008, 2:39pm
Wow, a Cedar top that sounds so open that if spuce might have taken twenty years sound like yours.