PDA

View Full Version : School me on endorsements

Crowder
Mar-21-2008, 2:02pm
Last night Brian Simpson told me that Cadillac Sky was doing an endorsement deal with Collings instruments and he was looking forward to getting a new mandolin from them which presumably will replace his Gibson Steffey model. He said he already had a guitar from them. Mike was still playing his SCGC guitar but I'm guessing he will have a Collings soon enough.

Mountain Heart is an endorsed band also. Interestingly, the endorsements seem to be connected to the band as much as the players. For example, Aaron Ramsey has a Daley mandolin, just like Steffey had (has). The guitar players have Mike Long guitars (I think) just like the guys they replaced.

Just thought that was interesting. Does anyone have any first- or second-hand information about how these deals work? Are there financial terms or just free instruments?

bradeinhorn
Mar-21-2008, 2:35pm
Last night Brian Simpson told me that Cadillac Sky was doing an endorsement deal with Collings instruments and he was looking forward to getting a new mandolin from them which presumably will replace his Gibson Steffey model. He said he already had a guitar from them. Mike was still playing his SCGC guitar but I'm guessing he will have a Collings soon enough.

Mountain Heart is an endorsed band also. Interestingly, the endorsements seem to be connected to the band as much as the players. For example, Aaron Ramsey has a Daley mandolin, just like Steffey had (has). The guitar players have Mike Long guitars (I think) just like the guys they replaced.

Just thought that was interesting. Does anyone have any first- or second-hand information about how these deals work? Are there financial terms or just free instruments?
i think it all depends how it's negotiated.

allenhopkins
Mar-21-2008, 2:58pm
I've had several well-known national instrument builders contact me, offering money if I won't play their instruments in public...

Jus' kiddin' (sorta).

Colorado Slim
Mar-21-2008, 3:35pm
I'm an artist endorser for Eastman mandos. Their deal, and nearly every other company with whom I have spoken, is that the artist purchases the instruments (or other swag). The price is usually the same as a dealers' price. Not free, but still a swell bargain.
My band, Phoenix Rising, also has an endorsement deal with Black Diamond strings; each of the musicians has an individual sponsor of some sort ... take a look at our website for more blather in this vein.
Perhaps some of the Big-Deal Guys get their stuff for free -- or rather, in exchange for good publicity for the sponsor -- but I've not had those conversations, being (at my most egotistical) a Rather-Small-Deal Guy.
Slainte!
Tim Crosby

Big Joe
Mar-22-2008, 9:09am
Few artists get free instruments. Some may get them at a reduced price but few get them free. Only the very top of the game get free stuff in exchange for the use of their name in advertising. Often there are contracts that the player must use that instrument on stage for a period of time and no other brand.

There was a time when more artists got free stuff. The problem was that they sometimes ended up selling the free instruments and did not play them. The company providing the instruments would get a bit unhappy about that. As is usually the case, the few ruin it for the masses!

Many artists are offered deals by numerous companies and will often turn down the ones they don't want to play. No matter the price, if they don't like the product they won't play it.

chip
Mar-22-2008, 9:37am
Why would a successful musician care to endorse an
instrument if they have to pay for it, even wholesale?
Most professionals already have their favorite broke
in instrument in the first place.
A: Since they would have to pay for one they must be in need of one.
B. Have expendable cash to buy something...which is not likely.
C. What's the point if they have to buy to endorse it anyway?
D. Seems hypocritcal to me to play one on stage but yet put it away immediately after only to play their personal one most of the time every where else.
I find it hard to believe that the companies wouldn't
sign an exclusive non-competing contract for an artist
to receive one free in exchange for endorsement.
I guess if you get to tier three you pay, tier two
perhaps pay and tier one you get one free...
Tier one= $10 a ticket, Tier two= $20 Tier three=$40+
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

dmamlep
Mar-22-2008, 10:10am
I know of a guy that get a dozen or so new fender strats at a time finds the one he likes and sells the rest. I know thats not the same price of a mandolin but a dozen would. of course fender is a pretty big co.

BlueMountain
Mar-24-2008, 8:36am
There are certainly several fine luthiers we could name whose instruments doubled in price or whose order books filled because a top artist started playing one on tour that has the sound we're looking for. I don't say this to denigrate them at all--their instruments are chosen because they are wonderful. I think we tend to hope that if we play one like the one played by those we admire, we'll play like those we admire. Consider the boost given to Nugget by Tim O'Brien, to Lawrence Smart mandolas by Chris Thile, to Stiver by Jesse McReynolds, to Tucker by Doyle Lawson, to Dudenbostel by Thile and the others who use them, Stanley. Or, indeed, to Gibson F5s by Bill Monroe.

If I were a builder, I would gladly give away my best effort to a big name player who loved it enough to play it on stage. Or, at least, loan it until the player is done with it.

We all know that there are wonderful mandolins made by builders on here that are available for very reasonable prices (minimum wage or less) because no notable person uses them. I'll bet some of those builders who want to make a living of it would love to sponsor someone.

On the other hand, last summer I heard an amazing mandolin played by a not-very-famous player at the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival. When I spotted one by that maker on eBay, I grabbed it. But it turned out to be not very special. I resold it, advertising it for what it was, and lost several hundred dollars on it. Oh well.

dmamlep
Mar-24-2008, 9:26am
I bought one on ebay, like one my friend has, not even close. I sold it. you just have to play before you buy, I dont care who makes it.

Scotti Adams
Mar-24-2008, 9:34am
I know a well known...big time mando player who gets a 50% discount on mandos from Gibson.

barry k
Mar-24-2008, 10:41am
E mail or call me , I'll tell you how endorsement deals work, or dont work