PDA

View Full Version : Dobro mandolin

mdithk
Mar-20-2008, 4:42pm
Hello,

First message from me, although I've been reading the message board for a number of months...since last summer when I bought my first mandolin.

My husband got me a Dobro Resonator Mandolin, Serial Number 5 182 M for our wedding anniversary this past weekend. It's a real beauty and I love the sound. Can anyone help me figure out when it was made?

Thanks,

Lee
Mar-20-2008, 5:58pm
Post a photo of it and also the case. The cutout design tells a lot. Is there a decal on it?

allenhopkins
Mar-20-2008, 10:44pm
This is the best info I could find on Dobro serial numbers. #I believe it's from a Vintage Guitars website; here's (http://www.provide.net/~cfh/dobro.html) the link.

1929 to 1937 Dobro Serial numbers by M.Cass.
Note the 1929 to 1937 serial number info is not very accurate. For example I own a Dobro metal body M-62 with the serial number 1832. According to the list below it should be 1930. But no metal body Dobro existed before 1935. So you can see the serial number info below is not 100% reliable and the information below applies mostly to wooden body resonator Dobro guitars. Pleaes keep this in mind. Also I don't have any 1937 to 1942 Dobro serial number info. Serial numbers for metal body Dobros very scarce. Serial numbers are stamped into the top of the peghead. No factory serial number records are available. The numbers below are a general guide, and are not reliable for dating the instrument solely on the serial number.

#Number range # # # #Year
#800 - 1400 # # # # #1929
#1400 - 2000 # # # # 1930
#2000 - 2600 # # # # 1931
#2600 - 3200 # # # # 1932
#3200 - 3900 # # # # 1933
#4000s # # # # # # # 1933 (mostly Regal made)
#5000 - 5600 # # # # 1933 (California made)
#5700 - 7600 # # # # 1934-1936 (California made)
#8000 - 9900 # # # # 1936 & 1937
#L9000s # # # # # # #1937 (Regal made)
#A prefix # # # # # #1936
#B prefix or suffix #1931-1932 (most Cyclops wood models)
#M prefix # # # # # #1935-1937
No serial number: on 1930s Dobros, this happens a lot, and for no explainable reason.

Now, some assumptions here: [1] Dobro mandolin serial numbers are in the same or similar series with guitar serial numbers; [2] generalizations on serial number ranges for different years can survive the many documented exceptions; [3] accumulation of anecdotal evidence can get us closer to reality. #My Dobro mandolin, which is post-1937 because it has "Licensed by National Dobro Co." on the resonator coverplate (National and Dobro re-merged in '37), has no discernible serial number at all. #I assume Regal built it, due to the "licensed by" inscription, but it has a Dobro decal. #It has the "outhouse door" crescent moon cut-outs in the coverplate.

I often wonder if instrument manufacturers would have been more rational and responsible about serial numbering, if they'd any idea how in later years, instrument owners would care so strongly about year of origin. #Good luck, and I hope someone else can help you more than I can.

mdithk
Mar-21-2008, 8:27am
Thanks to both of you. It's in the shop today for some tweaking on the intonation, but I'll post some pictures when I get it back home.

Meredith

Lee
Mar-21-2008, 9:54am
Does it look like this?

Lee
Mar-21-2008, 9:55am
Hmm, here's the serial number.

Lee
Mar-21-2008, 10:03am
And the decal. This one doesn't seem to fit the serial numbering system above. Any thoughts?
(Sorry to hijack your thread with my Dobro, but yours isn't available right now... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

allenhopkins
Mar-21-2008, 2:48pm
Nice looking Dobro mandolin, Lee! #Mine has the same "stars & crescents" coverplate, except mine's engraved "Licensed By National Dobro Corp." just below the bridge. #I have round screen holes in the upper bout, rather than f-holes. #Slightly different-shaped tailpiece, but with the same option of either a single prong for each course of strings, over which two string loops will fit, or a slot on either side of the prong for ball-end strings.

Do you have any approximate idea of its vintage? #Serial number seems the closest to one of the OMI (Original Musical Instruments) configurations. #Could it possibly be as new as 1980-90, though? #It looks so much like my '30's vintage instrument, that I would tend to place it as pre-war, despite the fact that the serial number is nothing like the pre-war sequence. #We really don't know whether Dobro mandolins were given serial numbers in the same sequences as Dobro guitars. #National Guitar Co. did give sequential serial numbers to all instrument styles, so a guitar, mandolin and ukulele might have consecutive numbers, but I don't know if Dobro (and later OMI) did the same.

Anyway, here's the OMI numbering system for late 1980's to early 1990's, before the Dobro nameplate was acquired by Gibson:

1988-1994 OMI Dobro: A# #### yyD configuration.
#First letter (and numeral) is style.
#numerals in center are instrument ranking.
#yy is last two digits of year.
#Last character is body type: D=wood, B=metal, H=Hounddog, P=solid peghead.

-- Would mean K9 = style, 120 = instrument ranking, 90 = 1990, M = body type (mandolin; OMI used "M" as a suffix for mandolins).

If you're well aware that the instrument is much older than this, the above attempt at deciphering the serial number is just an exercise in futility.

mdithk
Mar-21-2008, 8:24pm
Lee,

It has the same look, stars and crescents, but an additional plastic plate above the nut that says Dobro as I remember. #I'll be picking it up from the shop tomorrow, and I'll post pictures. #

The serial number is engraved on the wood itself, not on a metal plate like yours.

mdithk
Mar-21-2008, 8:26pm
Lee,

Looking at your serial number more closely, looks like it's engraved in wood also...

Mine has two holes in the top with metal mesh...tweeters???...rather than the f holes.

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:18pm
I finally have a few pictures of my Dobro...

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:22pm
Another...

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:24pm
Another...

Bill Snyder
Mar-23-2008, 7:25pm
That is a sharp looking mandolin.

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:25pm
Here is the serial number.

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:27pm
Here is a picture of the case.

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:30pm
I finally have a few pictures of my Dobro...

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 7:39pm
One last picture.

Can anyone give me an idea of when it was made?

Thanks

atetone
Mar-23-2008, 8:20pm
It looks like it was made a couple of days ago!

mdithk
Mar-23-2008, 8:43pm
Thanks. #We cleaned up the outside and the hinges of the case and my husband polished the resonator plate before he gifted me with it. #

Having some problem with the intonation still after my music shop restrung it for me. #The strings that were on the instrument must have been years old and I suspect that there was already an intonation problem before the mandolin got the new strings. #The bridge is kind of funky and it may be difficult to adjust.

Oh well. #It's a very cool instrument nonetheless and I enjoy playing it.

allenhopkins
Mar-23-2008, 10:25pm
Wanta try this?

1974-1979 OMI Dobro: Y (#)### D configuration.
#Y is last digit of the year (if this number is "3" it is actually 1974).
#3 or 4 numerals in center are instrument ranking for year starting with 101.
#D is body type: D=wood, B=brass, M=steel or mandolin.

If it's an OMI -made Dobro (and I would guess from the molded plastic "Dobro" truss rod cover that's a strong possibility; don't think pre-war Dobros had truss rods) --

Then
Y = 5 means 1975
182 means the eighty-second instrument made that year
D (body type) = M for mandolin.

And the fact that your mandolin has a truss rod, while Lee's doesn't (see earlier posts), also militates against my haphazard attempt in dating Lee's instrument using the Vintage Guitars formulae. #No way that Lee's would be as late as 1990; I'd be very surprised if it weren't pre-war. #No "National Dobro Co." on the cover plate, so likely to be pre-1937.

mdithk
Mar-24-2008, 8:17am
Thank you, Allen. We thought it was probably about 30-35 years old and it looks like it is.

Bob Visentin
Mar-24-2008, 3:08pm
Meredith
I am the original owner of a "5 142 M" Dobro mandolin that I bought new March 30 1976 for $225.00. Looks just like yours but the pie plate has round holes instead of cool moons and stars. I just stared playing it again.(I mostly play bass because I get paid to do that) It sounds great for the blues. I put octave strings on the D and G (one wound and one thin string an octave higher) like a 12 sting guitar. I have been trying to find out about it and this is the first thing I have found. If you don't mind telling me, how much did you pay for yours?

Bebop Bob

Bob Visentin
Mar-24-2008, 3:12pm
OOPS. Just looked at the paper work again. I bought the case in '76. bought the mando in 9-29-1975

Lee
Mar-24-2008, 4:33pm
Trying to recollect, I believe I bought my Dobro in 1983 from the previous owner. He told me it was from the 30's. I saw no proof, but I never really questioned him either.
I'll get a flashlight and check inside the F-holes to see if there's a year stamped inside.

Hmm, if the first couple digits are the style, and mine's a K9, does that make it a pre-war dawg-dobro? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

allenhopkins
Mar-24-2008, 5:11pm
Lee -- #the "9000" series of Dobro serial numbers (and this pertains directly to guitars) apparently are from 1937. #From the general appearance of your instrument, that would be a pretty good guess. #My Dobro mandolin might be from around that time or later; it has no serial number, which apparently happened fairly regularly on the Regal-built instruments, but the "National Dobro Corp." on the coverplate means 1935 or later, when the Dopyeras took National back and merged it with Dobro.

The serial number guide is no help when it comes to the "K" prefix. #If the serial number is "9120," #then I don't know what the "90" following it stands for. #The "M" suffix apparently means "mandolin," which makes sense but doesn't help in arriving at a date.

The letter-number sequence most closely resembles the later OMI numbers, which led me, erroneously, to think it might be as late as the 1980's. #But no way it could be, based on its appearance. #"Pre-war" (by which I mean WWII) may be as close as we can get to dating it, until someone with more knowledge jumps in.

mdithk
Mar-25-2008, 9:43am
Hi Bob,

Well, it was an anniversary gift, but I think that it was in the range of $1,500-$1,600. #

The really interesting thing is that it's a 1975 and that's the year we were married. #Just coincidence but makes it even more meaningful. #Kismet.

raulb
Jul-21-2012, 9:59pm
Reviving an ancient thread.

Today I have become the new owner of Dobro mandolin s/n 9615. According to the chart in another old thread, it was made c. 1936-7. Considering it is that old, it is in remarkable shape with only a few minor dings and some of the nickel plating worn off the tail piece. I have seen several of these and almost to a one, they all look like they've been played hard and put away roughly. This one looks like it has been well cared for.

It has "F" holes and 6 groupings of 12 round and one not quite half circle holes around the cover plate. The Dobro decal is on the peghead face and the serial # on the end of the peghead.

I will have to change the strings since it has been hanging on the Fret House wall for a number of years, but so far I am happy with it. It is a month early 60th birthday present to myself

I will post photos as soon as I can download them from my phone.

raulb
Jul-21-2012, 11:00pm
Pictures of my new Dobro:

raulb
Jul-21-2012, 11:02pm
Sorry about the double pictures

Dennis Schubert
Jun-18-2023, 12:12pm
I just found one of these in a mid-Missouri pawnshop, with the moon-and-stars cover plate. From the serial numbers, made in 1978. Under previous ownership, this mandolin was played a lot and will need some fret replacement. Seems that the tonal sweet spot is to tune it a full step low, but we're still getting acquainted. In a slightly different direction, has anyone installed a pickup on one of these for stage work? Yeah, I know -- it's already too loud, who needs a pickup?

pops1
Jun-19-2023, 8:38am
They make a pickup specifically for a Dobro. It should be no problem to have it put on. It mounts to the screw in the center of the spider, and that adjustment is important for the sound of the instrument so whoever puts it on should know how to adjust it.