PDA

View Full Version : R jones #5

Rick Jones
Mar-16-2008, 2:26pm
Here's my #5. It and #4 are twins, except for peghead and finger rest shape, and were completed at the same time. In 'mandolin years', these are actually #1 and #2, since my first three instruments were guitars. #4 was delivered to it's new owner in Northern Michigan last weekend; #5 is mine!

Body shape is directly from the Bob Benedetto blueprint; the cutaway was redrawn to be a little less deep. Tone bar bracing, taken from an F5 blueprint. Scale length is 13-7/8. The body was reduced so the distance between the neck joint and the bridge is 6-15/16", and the neck joins at the 12th fret. If my memory is correct, the reduction was around 64%. F-hole design was adapted from a picture of a guitar built by the late John Zeidler. Peghead shape was 'borrowed' from a mid-30's Epiphone Broadway.

The top is Englemann Spruce, maple everywhere else, with figured ebony on both sides of the peghead, the finger rest, and the armrest (which was removed for the photos). There is a McIntyre Acoustic Feather under the bridge; the bridge itself is from Cumberland Acoustics. Finish is Target's Oxford Ultima USL. I sealed with two coats of shellac, followed by a couple coats of USL containing TransTint dyes, followed by clear coats.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to this site and in particular to the participants in the forums here. The wealth of information here continues to amaze me. I wouldn't be surprised if I have more hours invested in research in these (and other) forums than I do in actual build time.

If anybody in Southeastern Michigan wants to hook up and take a look at this, shoot me a note. It is not for sale, but I'm always game for input, suggestions, etc. Same for Northwestern Michigan; we get to the Traverse City area fairly regularly.

http://home.comcast.net/~rajones19/mando/mc_front_full.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rajones19/mando/mc_back_full.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rajones19/mando/mc_peghead.jpg

Rick Jones
Mar-16-2008, 2:29pm
More views -

http://home.comcast.net/~rajones19/mando/mc_upper_treble.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rajones19/mando/mc_lower_bass.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rajones19/mando/mc_lower_treble.jpg

JEStanek
Mar-16-2008, 3:15pm
Snazzy n jazzy! That looks great. Very classy.

Jamie

Les Corley
Mar-16-2008, 4:25pm
Thats absolutely beautiful. You're not only a fine craftsman, you're also an excellent photographer. Keep up the good work.

red7flag
Mar-16-2008, 5:04pm
Very impressive, great lines and concept.
Tony

Denny Gies
Mar-16-2008, 5:11pm
A work of art; very nice job.

Bill Snyder
Mar-16-2008, 5:12pm
Looks great and as already mentioned great photos as well.

jmkatcher
Mar-16-2008, 5:17pm
Really lovely!

Siminole
Mar-16-2008, 5:26pm
I truly like what you have crafted there, great pictures also.

Al

billhay4
Mar-16-2008, 5:35pm
beautiful
bill

Mandolusional
Mar-16-2008, 5:42pm
Looks great, congrats! Now, how's it sound?

Rick Jones
Mar-16-2008, 6:05pm
Thanks for all the kind words! How's it sound? Well, I'm completely biased, so am probably not the person to ask. I recorded a few clips on #4 when it was in the white last December, primarily so it's owner could have a listen. They're not the greatest recordings - straight into the PC sound card through a $10 computer mic. I'm also not much of a mandolin player, which is painfully obvious. The clips are on the website listed in my sig, if anybody wants to listen.

#4 was a commission for a friend who owns a 1949 L5 guitar. He wanted his mandolin to look as much like his guitar as possible, and the peghead reflects that. It's also got a larger, bound Tortis pickguard much like his L5. The pics on the web page were taken when it was in the white, no pickguard, and had been strung up for about three hours. After my own has had a few weeks to settle (and I've had a few weeks to practice!) I'll have to record some new clips.

The 'concept' for this project came about when I chickened out on a bigger project. I'm a guitar player mostly, and wanted to build an archtop guitar - a life-long dream. Then I found out how much a good set of guitar-sized curly maple backs/sides cost, and decided to build something smaller (i.e. CHEAPER) as a first carving project. These mandolins were built almost entirely using the methods in Benedetto's archtop guitar book. Before cutting into the good woods, I built a prototype out of Home Depot woods - cedar siding for the top, poplar back, maple sides and neck, hobby shop walnut for headstock veneer. Stupid thing came out sounding pretty good for a quick, down and dirty project. There are pictures and clips from that on the site as well.

It's been quite a journey. Back in 2003 I got tops and backs carved, sides bent, linings in place, then lost interest. They hung in the basement untouched for about 4-1/2 years. I took an early retirement last year, and finally got off my duff and got them done. It's been a blast. I told my friend who bought #4 "When I've got a 9 year wait list, you can say you only waited 5 years for yours!"

Skip Kelley
Mar-16-2008, 8:31pm
Now thats cool! Awesome job!!

Pete Counter
Mar-16-2008, 11:50pm
Daaaannngggg Rick.....If you keep throwing pictures like around here, Your gonna have a lot less free time on your hands............cuz you'll be workin alot.........cuz everyone will want one.........and stuff. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Nice work!

Ted Eschliman
Mar-17-2008, 5:36am
Stunning!

mandopete
Mar-17-2008, 12:21pm
Beautiful, that one is way off the chart!

markishandsome
Mar-17-2008, 12:28pm
WOW

Chris Biorkman
Mar-17-2008, 12:42pm
Very cool.

Dave Greenspoon
Sep-05-2008, 6:23am
Rick, Ted beat me to it...that is one stunning looking instrument! I'm curious to know the scale legnth and nut size, fretboard info etc. It certainly is beautiful work!

Bill Snyder
Sep-05-2008, 6:41am
Rabbi, he answers the question about scale length in the first post, 13 7/8 inches.

Tracy Ballinger
Sep-05-2008, 7:14am
Lovely curves - the f-holes complement the shape nicely!

Tracy

UnityGain
Sep-05-2008, 9:06am
It is not for sale, but I'm always game for input, suggestions, etc.
Here is a suggestion, make more of them! And have them be for sale...

Mandoborg
Sep-06-2008, 8:10am
Always great to see something other than another F-5 clone . Great detail ! Build more of those. Excellant photography as well.

Jim

jessboo
Sep-06-2008, 11:35am
rick your right you should not sell this. you should give it to ME:p. I'll give it a good home. Man that is a great looking box. pictures of this could easily replace the photos of my grand daughter as my wall paper:laugh:

Rick Jones
Sep-07-2008, 8:49pm
Wow, thanks for all the kind words. I was surprised to see this thread had bubbled back to the top of the list. Nut width is 1-3/16th"; scale is the 'standard' 13-7/8". As mentioned in the original post, the body shape is directly from the Bob Benedetto guitar blueprint, though the cutaway is a little less deep to try and avoid a REALLY tight bend. Sides were bent on a set of little bitty forms I made for the Charles Fox Sidebender I built when building Selmer-Macaferri style guitars a few years ago. This entire project was begun as a warm-up exercise to building a few archtop guitars, though in retrospect, I have a feeling the guitars would have been easier. These are fussy little instruments. Now that it (and it's twin) are completed, I've been having a blast the last 6 months playing the thing.

Tim Pike
Sep-07-2008, 9:58pm
We would love to hear it...any chance in a sound bite?

Jeff Hildreth
Sep-07-2008, 10:46pm
Very fine job Rick.

Congrats !!

Jeff Chu
Oct-13-2008, 4:01pm
Hey Rick,

Are you planning on making more of these mandolins? maybe even something along the lines of the selmars?

freshthreat
Oct-21-2008, 3:10pm
Oh man look at that thing.:disbelief: