PDA

View Full Version : Lamar grier, billy baker, chubby wise, grisman

JeffD
Mar-13-2008, 9:27pm
Yes, I just got a copy of Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard, put out by Smithsonian/Folkways. It is a re-issue of 26 tunes they recorded in 1965 and 1973.

So I am listening to the singing, blown away as you can expect, and I realize how flawless and wonderful the band was. So I look it up on the liner notes. OMG!

It is a fantastic album. If you haven't heard it I am jealous, because I would love to hear it for the first time again.

Steve Cantrell
Mar-13-2008, 9:39pm
That's own my buy list. I've got a Monroe show from 66, I think, that has Dickens as well with Grisman backing. Monroe is on fire in his performance, and Grisman lays it down as well. Must be something about two mando players in the same room or something.

JeffD
Mar-14-2008, 12:52am
I bought the album for Hazel Dickens, who I have loved since that movie "Matewan". This was the first time I had heard Grisman blind - i.e. not knowing who the mandolin player was going to be. The playing is so smooth and fitting, just beautiful.

I suppose some folks might have been able to id the mandolin player on first listening. Not me. I have not heard heard enough Grisman to distinguish him out, except on signature songs. I am not a rabid bluegrass fan for that matter. I enjoy quality whenever and where ever I hear it.

That being said, if it was all as good as it is on this CD, I would be a fullout foaming bluegrasser. Wow.

Willie Poole
Mar-16-2008, 10:49pm
Lamar Grier, Thats a name I haven`t heard in some time...I went to the same high school as he did and sold him his first banjo....He had a room up in the attic of his house and listened to Scruggs at a slowed down speed and had a Gibson guitar tuned and set up like a five string banjo...He has played some gigs with me and man can he throw some stuff in there that you wonder how he makes it fit...He doesn`t pick any more from what I`ve heard...His son ain`t half bad on the guitar either is he...His son is David Grier, he used to come and sit and listen to our practices and I never even knew he was interested in bluegrass music....

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-09-2008, 2:36pm
I had the pleasure of meeting Lamar Grier in 1966 when Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys played
in my home town of Manchester. My band was the only Bluegrass band in town at that time & we got to open for him,next on was Mr.Bill Clifton. I met Lamar once again when he came to Manchester with "The Strange Creek Singers",i think that was in the late '70's. The band consisted of Mike Seeger,Tracy Swartz,Alice Gerrard,Lamar Grier & Hazel Dickens. I remember Lamar as being a thoroughly nice guy & he was as pleased as all h*ll that i remembered him from 1966,
Saska

Ken Olmstead
Apr-09-2008, 3:11pm
I guess I have to go find this gem and see what the hub-bub is about!

JeffD
Apr-09-2008, 9:51pm
Here it is.

http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/AlbumDetails.aspx?ID=2384