Rick Banuelos
Mar-13-2008, 5:23pm
We had a lot of fun with this one...

Rick Banuelos
Mar-13-2008, 5:24pm
Red spruce top, close-up.

Jonathan James
Love that finish! Is that just glare around the top of the right F-hole?

Rick Banuelos
Headstock

Rick Banuelos
Mar-13-2008, 5:25pm
Yes, that is a bit of glare...

Rick Banuelos
Mar-13-2008, 5:32pm
Ribs

eadg145
Mar-13-2008, 5:33pm
What's not to love about this?

Nice work!

cheers,

David

Crowder
Mar-13-2008, 10:04pm
Nice.

Maybe you can answer a question I've always wondered about--why is the fingerboard extension on a Yellowstone so long and prominent? I mean, as an aesthetic element it's fine, but it seems very impractical.

Rick Banuelos
Mar-14-2008, 9:21am
Nice.

Maybe you can answer a question I've always wondered about--why is the fingerboard extension on a Yellowstone so long and prominent? I mean, as an aesthetic element it's fine, but it seems very impractical.
The extension on the Yellowstone fingerboard allows for 24 frets, or two full octaves. While I realize that most of the money to be made is in first position, a lot of players (especially Thile enthusiasts) wander up to the top of their fretboards.

This, of course, poses a VERY interesting question to me as a player. I tend to use all 24 frets on my mandolin. I'm no Thile (seriously, I'm not even half the player Kevin Briggs is), but I appreciate those notes being there when I want them.

The question: How many frets are enough?

trevor
Mar-14-2008, 9:34am
Looks like I made the right choice for my Yellowstone oval hole A due in May!

jasona
Mar-14-2008, 9:42am
Lovely!

Kevin Briggs
Mar-14-2008, 9:51am
Looks fantastic, Rick. Thanks for the plug.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-14-2008, 10:31am
That maple headstock has loads of asthetic appeal!! I like the way "The Weber" is contrasted with the darker filler. Might have been a disaster for anyone with less fit and finish ability, but Weber is at the top of the heap in that category and it looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Jazz
Mar-17-2008, 5:46pm
Well, it's here.

Wow, Rick does not exaggerate. He called me a week ago to say he had a killer A and pretty as a picture. Great sound, etc etc .

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thing.

Thanks, Rick.

B. T. Walker
Mar-17-2008, 7:15pm
If that beauty sounds as good as it looks, Dr. Jazz, it will be a legend. Just gorgeous. Please give us a more detailed comment after you've "bonded". More pics would be really nice, too.

kudzuklunker
Mar-17-2008, 7:49pm
PERFECTION!

drtombibey
Mar-26-2008, 6:59am
I have three mandolins from three different decades. They all have a different name on the headstock, but each was built and signed by Bruce Weber.

Each has it's own unique story. All three are fine mandolins, but the recent Weber Yellowstone F style is the best one. I have played every kind of mandolin there is, including Loars, and have never played a better mandolin than this one. It was right off the rack, too- no set-up, nothing custom except the color.

Bruce Weber has always done good work. His current mandolins are as fine as any I have seen at any price.

Dr. Tom Bibey
drtombibey.wordpress.com

Rick Banuelos
Mar-26-2008, 9:16am
I should mention one thing here: the instrument pictured herein has some customizations that bear a fee, but Yellowstones are now being made in the old standard red & ivory, as well as honey & tortoise, and the price for each is identical.

bgmando
Mar-26-2008, 12:17pm
I like that color and trim combo a lot.

man dough nollij
Apr-16-2008, 7:59pm
I dig that maple peghead veneer. My Bridger OM is ordered with a maple veneer, in Scarlet Fire, with abalone inlay. If it looks anything like I'm picturing it, it should be a knockout-- I know the Weber guys will do a drop-dead job. I can't wait to pick it up.

johnM
Apr-16-2008, 9:04pm
Rick, I did a search for the Yellowstone A and found nothing, where do they exist? and where and when will another of these be available.

Thanks