PDA

View Full Version : Bummed on string selection....

Griffis
Mar-12-2008, 3:27pm
Well, I took my new Kentucky A-style in for a setup.

I was really eager to try the D'addario EXP 74s or EXP 77s on it, but my shop doesn't currently carry the EXPs.

SO, I opted for the D'addario J-74s.

Then, I was reading some threads on here about the short life span, so I called my shop back and they said they had Elixir mediums. I told them to slap some of those on there.

Haven't played on Elixirs yet...I know some acoustic guitar guys who swear by them, but I did a search here about Elixirs and they seem to be a LOT less popular than the EXPs.

I just wanted a little longer string life.

Is there any reason why I should be fearful that I made a mistake? Should I go back with the J-74s?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-12-2008, 4:55pm
I've got a set of J-74's a Gibson that's played daily and gigs on weekends that have been there for 5 months. I don't know what kind of string life you're looking for.

Gutbucket
Mar-12-2008, 5:02pm
Thomastik infeld flatwound stainless steel strings last forever, but sound better on some mandolins more then others. They're a little pricey though.

Chris Biorkman
Mar-12-2008, 6:00pm
I've got a set of J-74's a Gibson that's played daily and gigs on weekends that have been there for 5 months. I don't know what kind of string life you're looking for.
Wow, Mike. I must have hand cheese from hell because they don't last two weeks for me.

Steve Ostrander
Mar-12-2008, 6:20pm
Griffs, your'e gonna go through a lot of strings, so don't sweat it. Part of the fun is trying different ones and hearing what works.

I use J74s on my Eastman and they sound great. Tried them on my KY km855 and not so good. So I'm gonna try sumpin' else...

JEStanek
Mar-12-2008, 6:53pm
When I had a Kentucky KM-140S back in 2001 I used the Elixer EXP mediums on it and the J-74s. The Elixers lasted longer. My ear wasn't very good back then to know which sound I liked better... On my Eastman oval hole I had J74s come on it and liked the Jazzmando JM11 (http://jazzmando.com/jazzmando_jm11_flatwound_strings.shtml) flatwound strings better (warmer sound, very slight loss in volume, 3x+ lifespan, and oooooohhh so comfortable).

I now have TI mediums on my Flattop mandolin and like them as much as the JM11s. I like the wound A string but, can't seem to tell if it's much better (2x better b/c of price than the JM11s).

I'm not a bluegrasser and that isn't the sound I'm after. Anthony Hannigan with the Hickory Project uses TI strings and plays a mean bluegrass style. Those Elixers ought to do you just fine for a while and if you don't like 'em change 'em out in a couple of months. Try different picks on them to and you'll hear different things as well.

Jamie

Paul Kotapish
Mar-12-2008, 7:33pm
Griffis,

Not to worry. If you don't like the strings, just play a lot and wear 'em out faster. It will take you a while to find the ones that work for your body chemistry, mandolin, playing style, etc.

I have been using J-75s forever. I change them fairly often, though. Sometimes as frequently as once a week or even less if I'm really busy or recording. I do like the tone and longevity of coated strings, but they are expensive and seem to break just as frequently as the cheaper one do, so I never feel like I'm really getting my money's worth out of them.

Whenever I try something else that someone else loves, I switch back to the old reliable.

After hearing raves about Thomastik strings from several friends, I tried a set and couldn't stand them. They were off the mandolin again within an hour and I gave them away. It was very expensive experiment, but one I won't need to try again with any of my current instruments.

steadypluckinaway
Mar-12-2008, 7:53pm
I've tried a number of different strings, definitely like the J62's for a more grassy sound, but the JM-11's are such a great value and sound terrific. The flatwound strings are very easy on the fingertips.

I put a new set of Thomastik Mittles on my '14 Gibson A and the tone is nothing short of heavenly. The strings are pricey but I now understand why.

I just put a set of bronzies back on the Flatiron for a bit of an experiment and I am definitely spoiled by the flatwound strings. You should try a set of JM-11's if you haven't already (NFI). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif