PDA

View Full Version : Imperiale mandolin

jazzgtrl4
Mar-11-2008, 2:30pm
Anyone ever heard of these before? are they a renaissance period mandolin? bowlback. i found one forsale. didn't know how much they were worth. Thanks for your help

Jim Garber
Mar-11-2008, 3:54pm
Photos would help. Renaissance... I highly doubt it.

jazzgtrl4
Mar-11-2008, 3:58pm
I tired to get photos from this guy. doesn't have the capability. Have you heard of this brand is it Chinese.

Eugene
Mar-11-2008, 3:58pm
...Especially because there wasn't anything called "mandolin" in the renaissance era.

allenhopkins
Mar-11-2008, 4:27pm
Tried Googling "Imperiale mandolin" and "Imperiale instruments." #Didn't find much. #What is the seller claiming about its origin, age, history etc.? And -- crucial question -- what's his/her asking price?

Have you actually seen the instrument, and can you describe it other than "bowlback"? #Chances of finding a quality, playable instrument more than 100 years old aren't all that high, let alone one going back to a period, as noted above, when the mandolin as we know it wasn't around.

brunello97
Mar-11-2008, 4:39pm
In this article on the Howe-Orme company there is reference to William Cole making "The Imperial Mandolin", as in Imperial not Imperiale.

http://www.bellsouthpwp.com/r/d/rdevelli/The%20Elias%20Howe%20Co.htm

If it was a Cole mandolin chances of it being a bowlback are high.

Mick

jazzgtrl4
Mar-12-2008, 10:50am
ok forget the word "renaissance". here is the description from the guy.

"The name at the top of the instrument is "Imperiale" There does not seem to be any other markings on it. There are what seems to be mother of pearl dots going down the neck. I believe it is the classic pear shape with white and small black stripes going around the main body. The neck is a darker wood and the back and front are also of different color stock.

This was given to my dad many years ago by a friend and both are now gone"

he want $45.00

allenhopkins
Mar-12-2008, 2:18pm
Well, you can't go really wrong for $45. Hey, that's drinks and dinner for two at Applebee's...