PDA

View Full Version : My campanella a

mdlorenz
Mar-11-2008, 12:15pm
Unabashedly pimping my mandolin http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Joe just updated his site w/ pics & sound clips of my A. Pretty cool to hear it played so well. (Joe is playing.)

Campanella A (http://www.campanellastrings.com/a-model/)

mandomick
Mar-11-2008, 12:39pm
I listened to these clips about 2 weeks ago. IMO it's got the "perfect" F hole tone. If my newest mando didn't sound like this when it arrived, I planned on ordering one of these. ENJOY! and mail me if you decide to sell it.

twaaang
Mar-11-2008, 5:26pm
Envy, envy. I'm nearby and have had the pleasure of jamming with Joe (and his brother), and occasionally playing one of his instruments. They are hard to hand back. -- Paul

Spruce
Mar-11-2008, 6:28pm
One could make the point that the reason violins sound so good over the years is that one is able to take them apart and futz with them...

Not so easy with a traditional mandolin...

But Joe's design allows futzing, which over the years may be a very very good thing...

Not that they need futzing... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Crowder
Mar-11-2008, 6:37pm
I'm intrigued by these. Amazing that no one's thought of applying violin design techniques before.

coolwood
Mar-11-2008, 7:05pm
Joe recently did a "set up" for me and did a great job.
I had the opportunity to play two of his mandos. #They sound as good as they look, and are easy to play. #Had I not just purchased a Mix A5, (which I love), I would have ordered one of his. #His are worth saving for.

Bill

mdlorenz
Mar-12-2008, 9:56am
Applying the violin technique is very intriguing from both a longevity standpoint & a tone perspective. Technically you'd think that w/out the binding it'd give the top more ability to resonate freely. & as far as being able to repair, tinker, or replace portions if ever necessary, it's a whole lot easier w/ an unbound top I'd imagine. I mean it's gotta contribute to the fact that there's still violins around in pretty good shape from the 1700's...

But then again, what do I really know, I can barely play the thing. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tnpathfinder
Mar-12-2008, 10:17am
Very Nice. Really enjoyed the sound clips

Jim Kasperson
Mar-12-2008, 1:04pm
Very nice! #I love the sound, the look, and the concept. #I visited the site and am very interested in the Due. #I would like more information or discussion #about these mandos. #I did a search on this site and found nothing. #Am I missing any earlier Threads on these? #I would love to hear more about them.

Glassweb
Mar-12-2008, 1:16pm
Amazing that no one's thought of applying violin design techniques before.
Uh... let's see... raised fingerboard off the body - check... violin f-holes - check... tapered solid flame maple neck and high quality maple sides and back - check... carefully selected spruce top hand carved to be sympathetic with the carved back - check... high quality hand-applied varnish finish - check. I think there were some guys at Gibson in the early 20's who had a pretty good handle on applying violin-making principles to the mandolin.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-12-2008, 1:52pm
Now thats a fiddle!! Sweet A model you have there!

mdlorenz
Mar-12-2008, 2:12pm
Joe is always more then willing to chat about his stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a call.

mdlorenz
Mar-12-2008, 2:16pm
Amazing that no one's thought of applying violin design techniques before.
Uh... let's see... raised fingerboard off the body - check... violin f-holes - check... tapered solid flame maple neck and high quality maple sides and back - check... carefully selected spruce top hand carved to be sympathetic with the carved back - check... high quality hand-applied varnish finish - check. I think there were some guys at Gibson in the early 20's who had a pretty good handle on applying violin-making principles to the mandolin.
I believe that by "Violin design techniques" he means the construction of the top back & sides, the lack of binding, & specifically the overhang, & the purfling.