PDA

View Full Version : From dull satin to glassy, gloss finish

Bitterbrush
Mar-10-2008, 4:45pm
I figured I'd use my very first post to ask a question from all you smart mando veterans. #I decided to buff out the satin finish on my Breedlove Quartz FF to a high gloss luster, using some #7 polishing compound and Mequiars Scratch X. #It worked like a charm and now looks beautiful - thanks to an earlier tip from Ken C. (the mando-medic). #The previously dull finish on the Breedlove is now smooth as glass and has a nice, deep shine to it (front, back & sides). #I'm now realizing I might have made the top area a bit too slick. #While stringing it back up I'm noticing the bridge to easily creep forward (3-strings on so far). #Do I now need to take some Naptha to the foot print area of the top where the bridge rests (to remove the light coating of spray polish there or perhaps just carefully & lightly rough-up that position with steel wool? #I'm afraid I created my own slippery slope here. #I'm betting it'll continue to move forward even more when I add the other 5-strings. #I should know better than to fix things that aren't broke but I just can't help myself sometimes.

Any advice whould be greatly appreciated...thanks!

By the way...I was a very content guitar picker until I started lurking around here. #Mando gas can affect almost anyone, I guess, and from the looks of the rest of you, there is no known cure.

Mark

Gail Hester
Mar-10-2008, 5:04pm
Your bridge will always slide around until you get more tension across the strings. Keep going and it should be fine. I like to put a little tension all the way across and then tune up the outer E&G strings to set the intonation. Once you have that set tighten them all up making sure the bridge base is seated down all the way as you go. Once you get 40-50 pounds of down pressure on the bridge it shouldn't move at all. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bitterbrush
Mar-10-2008, 5:50pm
Thanks much Gail for the very quick reply. I was hoping that would be the case but was having some doubts. I'm very glad to hear that I don't need to undo anything. I'll string the rest of them on there then and see what happens. Thanks again! This is really a NICE place to learn new things!

Mark