PDA

View Full Version : Shutt mandolins

MML
Mar-09-2008, 1:59pm
I recently aquired a Shutt mandolin that is in need of some TLC. For the most part the instrument is solid, just needs a few seams reglued and perhaps a fret job, or maybe I will go with a new fingerboard and frets, have to see how it goes. Anyway what I found pretty cool was the use of a ebony top brace that runs horizontal under the bridge area. Have any other Shutt owners taken a peak inside theirs to see if this is "standard equipment"? The other interesting thing is the high arching to the top and back, I can clearly see theres been no sinking on this puppy.
Back to work............

markishandsome
Mar-09-2008, 5:15pm
Pictures? Sounds neat!

BradKlein
Mar-11-2008, 7:16pm
Hi there. #I have not seen the brace you describe in the couple of Shutts that I've peeked inside.

Is this the recent e-bay instrument? #That's one of the two 'shoulder' instruments, and the one I know best is an A model, which certainly does not have a brace under the bridge. #More like Gibson F-style tone bars.

My impression is that the arch is high and the tops are fairly thin, so you might want to consider medium or light strings.

Good luck with your new instrument.

Andy Morton
Mar-16-2008, 8:34am
They are supposed to be "ahead of their time" when they were produced.
What year do you think it is??

You have a vintage gem probably...check it out.

Andy

MML
Mar-16-2008, 11:22am
They are supposed to be "ahead of their time" when they were produced. #
What year do you think it is?? #

You have a vintage gem probably...check it out.

Andy
[QUOTE]

I am not sure of the year, but looking at others I have seen on the internet I would guess the teens.

markishandsome
Mar-16-2008, 12:03pm
I'm still eagerly awaiting some visual aides. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

MML
Mar-16-2008, 8:52pm
Here's a pic.

http://i30.############/2hrzbs2.jpg

markishandsome
Mar-17-2008, 9:18am
Thanks! Looks fun

Jake Wildwood
Mar-27-2008, 12:25pm
I've always loved the body shape on the Shutts. They also sound pretty lovely when they're in good shape, too!

Yours is a beaut! Enjoy it!

You might want to keep an eye out (or make) the Shutt-style pickguard for it, though (attaches where that screw is near the neck).

Same idea as this:
http://www.vintageinstruments.com/museum/shutt3fulpage.html

MML
Mar-27-2008, 3:49pm
Hobbyhorse,

I have the original pickguard its just not on the instrument in the photo. Its kind of neat how it attaches too. It slides down over a counter sunk type screw head and locks into place and a pin aligns it to the bridge like the old Gibsons did, hey mabey this is before Gibson did that??

Bruce Clausen
Jun-24-2008, 6:18pm
Not sure if this is a bottom-rung Shutt or merely "Shutt-inspired". Has anyone seen one like this before? Apparently a flat-top, but hard to tell from the photo. Neck join is at eleventh fret (bold, innovative!). Bridge doesn't seem to be functioning. I've only seen an oval hole on a heavily restored (new top) Shutt pictured in another thread. Haven't seen the instrument in person but I'm hoping to get a look. Thanks for any comments.

brunello97
Jun-24-2008, 7:18pm
Bruce, I have this one in my files with the note 'Anonymous-L+H'. Sorry. I've been trying to be more meticulous in my annotation. But it does resemble yours a bit. I sure others will clue you and me in.

Mick

Bruce Clausen
Jun-25-2008, 9:59am
Thank you Mick, that does help some.

--Bruce

jessboo
Jun-29-2008, 10:30pm
Brunello,
I own that mandolin. took it in on a trade a month ago. I was told by a guy down by St. Louis( he knows more then I do!) it wasn't a Shutt but it wasn't a Harmony either. that was my second guess. A L&H makes sence. Because he said it was probably made in Chicago. no matter how you slice it. It's a great sounding and playing box!

MikeEdgerton
Jun-30-2008, 7:32am
The flat top was probably made by Regal (in Chicago).

brunello97
Jun-30-2008, 3:14pm
Jess, it is a small world. That is one reason why I always plead for folks to post pictures of their instruments. (It is so easy to do here.) You never know what kind of connections turn up. #

I have a Regal/L+H flattop with rw back and enjoy it very much. (I'm not quite sure just what their relationship was in the 20s-construction/marketing, vice versa, or something in between. #Maybe all of the above.)

I like the profile of yours and Bruces very much-the rounded lobes are great. It would be very sweet in an archtop version.

Mick

jessboo
Jun-30-2008, 10:57pm
the guy i got this mandolin from has a harmony from the late 20's. that's an f hole model it kookes like the shutt. he's had it forever. one of the nicest peices of maple on the back that i've ever seen. all carved with an ajustable nut made of alminum(sp). each pair of string can be ajusted by them selves. i'll see if i can get him to post picture of it here. yes it says Harmony on the head stock. it(i can't beleive i'm saying this) is a great mandolin. where can i find out more about Albert Shutt?
you got to love the chicago school of insterment building.
Dale

Bill Snyder
Jul-01-2008, 7:30am
... with an ajustable nut made of alminum(sp). each pair of string can be ajusted by them selves. ...
Nut or saddle?

MikeEdgerton
Jul-01-2008, 8:07am
Harmony actually built some decent instruments in the early 1900's. I've seen turn of the century parlor guitars that were quite decent as well as some arched top guitars from the early 30's that actually played pretty well. This (http://www.vguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=1063) article gives you a little history of the company and insight into some of their instruments.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-01-2008, 8:55am
If you're quick you got about 6 minutes to grab one of these made by Harmony with the Supertone (Sears) brand name on it <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SUPERTONE-TIGER-MAPLE-MANDOLIN_W0QQitemZ360064300964QQihZ023QQcategoryZ1 0179QQssPa
geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a>.

brunello97
Jul-01-2008, 9:28am
Nice link, Mike, thanks. I love Harmony's choice of model names: Toreador, Juanita, Rossini. Easy to make an identity statement there.

The Harmony mandolin went for an accessible price. What do you know of their construction?

Mick

MikeEdgerton
Jul-01-2008, 9:38am
They were all solid woods. That one may or may not have been carved. It looked like a later example with the faux flame and all.

jessboo
Jul-01-2008, 8:35pm
bill,
the nut. it's like each set of strings is on a roller bearing.
I talked to dave and he was kind enough to say when he has time in the next day or so to put up picture of his harmony.
Mike it lookes like the one from your link. only a nateral finish.

Gregg Miner
Jul-03-2008, 2:07pm
My 3-years-in-the-making Shutt feature is finally complete and posted. Though a part of Harpguitars.net and thus ostensibly a "harp guitar" article, I used the opportunity to include every last thing on Shutt I could lay my hands on (mostly mandolins, naturally). Like everything I publish online, this is a permanent work-in-progess, and I hope it brings more finds and information out of the proverbial woodwork. There is a Harpguitar.net Members version and a non-members version. Anyone with additional new information, please contact me directly through any of my web sites. Enjoy!
http://www.harpguitars.net/history/shutt/shutt.htm

jefflester
Jul-03-2008, 3:00pm
Cool! Thanks Gregg.

jessboo
Jul-04-2008, 12:42am
thanks gregg. great work. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

brunello97
Jul-19-2012, 8:50pm
A nice looking Shutt in the classifieds right now:

Shutt (http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/58224)

Listed as an A3. I have an image of one of these - disassembled - in my files. Nice to see this.

Mick

My apologies if this is a repost, I the "Shutt" thread would be a good one to promote and easier for future searches.

BradKlein
Jul-20-2012, 7:51am
That one, at the Music Emporium has an amateurly repaired headstock break, which is a shame in an otherwise notable instrument.

Jim Garber
Jul-20-2012, 8:31am
That price seems a bit overly optimistic esp with the bad repair.

themandocello
Aug-15-2018, 7:46am
I love what it says on the website "Don't quit your day job" :)

NickR
Jan-17-2021, 12:14pm
I have revived this thread because this rather distressed mandolin has come up on eBay. The seller is not taking questions, so I can't ask any. However, the mandolin has a Supertone label inside- one from the very late 1920s. Bearing in mind Harmony was making the Shutt style Viol for Sears, Roebuck, I imagine that the same mould was used to make a much cheaper flat top with an oval hole- possibly after the Wall Street Crash as the more expensive Viol, which appeared to have been the most expensive Supertone mandolin was not selling. This mandolin has the strip tuners- not the recessed under a plate variety and probably a lot less in the way of frills while the back which has been spared the makeover appears to be birch
There are photos of this style mandolin in the thread above. https://www.ebay.com/itm/124530795882

Mandolin Cafe
Jan-17-2021, 12:32pm
Whoa... that one has Bradley Klein's name all over it. LOL.

ajh
Jan-17-2021, 12:40pm
It disturbs me that I kind of like it. I need to get out more. Much more.

NickR
Jan-17-2021, 12:47pm
He may have been a big Jethro Burns fan, whoever got inspired to do this makeover. Alternatively, somebody with red paint and time on his hands. I note that the original was a rather nice honey blonde but time may have darkened her a little.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-17-2021, 1:13pm
You know, if the tailpiece cover was there....

Mike Buesseler
Jan-17-2021, 2:23pm
Mandolin Orange.

Jim Garber
Jan-17-2021, 2:24pm
That one would serve as an excellent paddle should one find oneself on Shutt’s Creek. :)

BradKlein
Jan-17-2021, 4:10pm
HAHAHA! Oh my... that is a special instrument. I'm going to have to take a hard pass on that one. Stay safe and well everyone! There's a light at the end of this damn virus tunnel if we can just get folks to keep taking measures for another few months... and get that vaccine supply moving. Can't wait to pick a little more in person with folks. And have a bit more pleasure to post here at the Cafe if the NEWS firehose would scale back to garden hose size.