PDA

View Full Version : Gibson a-9 or weber aspen

davidleinweber
Mar-07-2008, 12:47pm
I have an offer for a brand new Gibson A-9 for $1200, or a Weber Aspen for $850. I'm very eager for suggestions. Saving money sounds nice, but I want the better mandolin -- one that will not only play best, but also hold its value.

Any thoughts?

nashvillebill
Mar-07-2008, 1:11pm
Well, it depends somewhat on what you want- an oval hole or f hole; arched or flat-top. Also depends on if it's an Aspen #1 or #2. However, at first glance it seems the A-9 is the better deal on based on the prices you've quoted.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-07-2008, 1:23pm
Wow, yeah apples and oranges on this one. What kind of music are you looking to play. If you want to play in the bluegrass camp then the A9 would rank tops for me. If you are playing in Celtic sessions the Aspen might be more appropriate. Other styles of music might be more subjective than the two I have outlined. At the end of the day you can play any music on any mandolin. It's up to you what sound you are going for. Brand new A9 for $1200 would be hard to beat!

John Hill
Mar-07-2008, 1:28pm
If you're wanting one mainly for holding it's value and saleability I'd say the A9...but they are very different animals and like the other posters have said, think about what you play & what tonal qualities you're after then decide as these two mandolins couldn't be different in each aspect.

300win
Mar-07-2008, 1:48pm
That's $800 less than I paid for my new A-9. It is a very fine mandolin.

davidleinweber
Mar-07-2008, 1:49pm
Yes, I play some Celtic, but also a fair amount of bluegrass and 'old-time' stuff. I think I'm going to go the A-9 route, but I've heard Weber mandolins are really good.

I don't know if it's a Aspen 1 or 2. They didn't say.

woodwizard
Mar-07-2008, 1:54pm
I think you'll be happy with a Gibson http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif I always have been.

JeffD
Mar-07-2008, 2:25pm
I have an Aspen II, I bought new a year or so ago.

I love this mandolin. A LOT. It has a very clear lovely tone, some call it "bell" like, though I don't know if that is correct.

The mandolin is very loud, responds well to hard playing. The sound was great right out of the store, but as it is opening up it is getting more complicated and, I don't know, rounder. I am not good at describing sounds without resorting to all the cliches everyon uses. But I can say this - it has a sound very distinctly not like the Gibson. I like it because of that. I have a Gibson A2, and I love it, but when I got the Aspen I wanted something that was different, and wasn't trying to sound like a Gibson.

It is great for all kinds of music, Irish and Old Time especially, but does well on everything I have put it to.

It's not the choppiest mandolin, but that is more in line with my taste anyway. And it will infact hold its own in a bluegrass jam.

It is amazing to me that so much sound comes out of this light piece of wood.

So chose what you want, but don't discount the Aspen. It may be your go to mando.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-07-2008, 2:27pm
I will go out on a limb and recommend the A9. Since you play bluegrass the A9 is THE sound for that style. The A9's sound will be equally welcome in any other musical situation. The oval hole flat top Weber won't really go the bluegrass route very well. Now if you were talking about an arched-top, f-hole Weber, we could have a different conversation BUT that is a GOOD deal on an A9. Weber's competeing model to the A9 would be a Bitteroot A model.

JeffD's point is also well taken. It really is a matter of preference. Jeff's Gibson is to die for!!

JeffD
Mar-07-2008, 2:32pm
Here is my old fan boy posting:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....l=aspen (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=49203;hl=aspen)

JeffD
Mar-07-2008, 2:46pm
"The better mandolin" is the one you enjoy more. Both will last for ever and stand up to hard playing.

I would never say anything against a Gibson A, and if that is the sound you want, I would go for it.

I love both of em actually, for different reasons. You have great deals on both, I would get both! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif