PDA

View Full Version : My silverangel

kycarl
Mar-05-2008, 5:55pm
My Silverangel is a 2004 model with a 100 year old redwood top. The sound is incredible and improves everytime I play. I've played many mandolins, but this has to be the best mandolin ever. I live about 30 minutes from Ken's shop and I've been there several times. This one has an oil painting on the back of an angel. Here's a few pics of the way it looks......

kycarl
Mar-05-2008, 5:56pm
another...........

kycarl
Mar-05-2008, 6:00pm
another........ http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Doug Edwards
Mar-05-2008, 6:05pm
Very nice. I've certainly enjoyed mine. Someday I'll have to add another.

Mark Walker
Mar-05-2008, 6:33pm
I've always admired that painting on the back of it - the grain in the wood and the way he's stained and highlighted it sure make that angel appear as if ascending into clouds!

Is that the distressed one he has/had on his website for a while?

Congratulations on holding that angel next to your heart! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

PS - Mine (which you can see in my avatar) is the second Silver Angel Ken crafted for me. Both are tone monsters - this one more woody and deep with the same 100-year old spruce and a varnish (versus lacquer as on my first one) finish. I'm distressing it myself!

Ken Olmstead
Mar-05-2008, 9:01pm
Beautiful! I have played one of Ken's F models and one of Laura's they are both superb instruments in sound and playability. Each one is truly an original even though they hold to traditional designs. The looks are off the beaten path a bit but I adjusted. Yup, I likes!

kycarl
Mar-06-2008, 11:27am
This is the same mandolin that he had on his web-site. I wanted an x-braced redwood top mandolin, so he made the top for it last summer from 100 year old redwood from an old bridge in California. It went from cannon to an atomic bomb of a mandolin. It's really unbelievable what this thing sounds like. It's got it all.

Mark Walker
Mar-06-2008, 5:49pm
This is the same mandolin that he had on his web-site. I wanted an x-braced redwood top mandolin, so he made the top for it last summer from 100 year old redwood from an old bridge in California. It went from cannon to an atomic bomb of a mandolin. It's really unbelievable what this thing sounds like. It's got it all.
Oh - gotcha. # I recall - redwood rather than spruce. #Mine's got 100-year old spruce from an old building in upstate New York if I recall correctly.

I'm sure they both really bark! I know mine does!

Congrats again! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Satchel
Mar-07-2008, 9:48am
Another satisfied Silverangel customer here! I've tried several different brands and models but, havent found a mando in that price range that has the dry woody power like Ken's mandos. My latest was finished in Nov. 2006, with the 100yr spruce and a distressed varnish finish. It's got the horsepower, I just wish I had the talent.

KyCarl...I dont live to far from Ken either. PM me and maybe we can get together and trade a few licks.

bgmando
Mar-07-2008, 3:06pm
I like Ken and Laura's mandos.

Ken's F5s do best if you give 'em a good weekend-long jam whipping with a thick pick.
The sound really deepens.

jasona
Mar-08-2008, 12:33am
I love my Laura, and since I changed my pick grip and have started playing louder, if this thing hasn' responded in kind. I thought it would be finished opening by now, but it appears to have a little further to go. Very sweet tone and aggressive chop.

wildpikr
Mar-10-2008, 7:23am
And still another satisfied customer. I took delivery of a distressed model #268 last October...it's got it all - tone, volume, playability - and I think it's still opening up...but I guess I'm just preachin' to the same congregation here!

BTW how do you attach pictures to these posts?

Mark Walker
Mar-10-2008, 10:06am
And still another satisfied customer. #I took delivery of a distressed model #268 last October...it's got it all - tone, volume, playability - and I think it's still opening up...but I guess I'm just preachin' to the same congregation here!

BTW how do you attach pictures to these posts?
Michael - hopefully this THREAD (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=23;t=13102) will give you adequate directions to post pictures!

Good luck!

Billfiddl3r
Mar-10-2008, 10:18am
I have played one of the newer f5 models they got good woody tone but appearance wise
I'm not quite sure...

kycarl
Mar-10-2008, 2:30pm
appearance wise? Take a look at the pix of this mandolin. I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful work of art. Ken goes his own way, he's 100% original, but still maintains a traditional look. There's nothing cookie cutter here, just running over with character and personality in his mandolins, authentic.....

wildpikr
Mar-17-2008, 7:23am
I'll try to post a few photos...Ken took the pics right before shipping.

Front...

wildpikr
Mar-17-2008, 7:25am
Here's the back...

wildpikr
Mar-17-2008, 7:26am
And the headstock...

Mark Walker
Mar-17-2008, 11:21am
Mike - that'a a beauty. What are those tuner buttons? Ebony or some other wood? Or ar they stained dark?

Regardless, they add to the uniqueness of the whole 'look.'

Satchel
Mar-19-2008, 11:29am
Just noticed the 2005 model that Ken has in the classifieds.... I was over at his shop last week and had a chance to play it. Its the real deal. Its a cannon and a well played in road warrior. If my wife liked mandolins as much as I do, I would have grabbed that one up.

wildpikr
Mar-19-2008, 3:20pm
What are those tuner buttons? Ebony or some other wood? Or ar they stained dark?
They were stained dark. I like 'em.

I sent you a PM explaining [just to try the PM option]...did it come through?

Mark Walker
Mar-20-2008, 9:08am
What are those tuner buttons? #Ebony or some other wood? #Or ar they stained dark?
They were stained dark. #I like 'em.

I sent you a PM explaining [just to try the PM option]...did it come through?
Yup - thanks. I got your PM.

They sure do add to that 'unique' look of the mandolin.

kycarl
Apr-03-2008, 5:27pm
I've got this mandolin for sale now in the classifieds. I can't hardly stand to think about parting with it, but I need the funds for a new business. I'll get Ken to make me another one later anyway. Take a look. This will make sombody a killer mandolin. One in a million.

mntmandoman253
Apr-27-2008, 4:59pm
Hey kycarl, I own silverangel #253 and Ken built this one for me in Oct 06 and man does it bark. It is loud and deep and woody sounding. I visited Kens house & shop after he built my mandolin and it was still in the white. Ken does have a beautiful home, I couldn't believe he built it all himself. I play my mandolin everyday and it just keeps sounding better and better. I had Ken put a dark finish on it, looks about the same as yours. Ken and Laura are very nice people and Ken is wonderful to work with and he does what he tells you he will do. There is no finer sounding and looking mandolins out there