PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky km 1000 fretboard

wilkie
Mar-03-2008, 8:28pm
Is the fretboard ebony or rosewood? I've seen it advertised both ways.

Pam2
Mar-03-2008, 8:42pm
How old is your 1000 ?

mort
Mar-04-2008, 9:05am
mine's an '84 I think the catalog specs say ebony but if it is it looks a great bit like rosewood. I think ebony can come in this color and many times it is just dyed black.

jefflester
Mar-04-2008, 12:50pm
OP is probably asking about the new ones.

Saga site says rosewood. Seems like that should be the definitive source:
Saga page for KM-1000 (http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=KM-1000)

Folkmusician.com
Mar-04-2008, 3:07pm
I just received 2 KM-1000 mandolins yesterday. It sure looks like Ebony to me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

fiddler59
Mar-04-2008, 3:16pm
The new ones are ebony, I had one scooped and the wood was definantly ebony....

DB

f5loar
Mar-05-2008, 12:33am
the KM1200 Scruggs models will have solid ebony on them. And I'm sure the new KM1500 whenever they come out will be ebony too.

wilkie
Mar-05-2008, 9:48am
Thanks for the input.

Steve Perry
Mar-05-2008, 11:36am
the KM1200 Scruggs models...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

Can you elaborate please? #I'm having a hard time trying to figure why Earl would have a signature model mandolin.

f5loar
Mar-05-2008, 4:53pm
It's a proto type and I've got the only one for testing.

Folkmusician.com
Mar-05-2008, 9:04pm
Here is a high-res photo of two KM-1000 Mandolins. Hopefully you can make out the ebony fingerboard and bridge. These are both fresh off the boat.

Hires KM-1000 - 1MB (http://folkmusician.com/imageshires/km-1000/km-1000_h.jpg)

Andrew B. Carlson
Mar-06-2008, 3:18am
So did I hear right? The km-1500 is coming back? Or at least the new version of it? I'm excited to see one. Those new km-1000's are impressive for a new kentucky. Is a km-2000 possibly being born as well?

Andy

Rick Cadger
Mar-06-2008, 5:39am
Those two KM1000s look great. Neat as you like, but you can see small variations that give them a wee bit of individual character.

I was impressed with the one I tried from TAMCO a while ago, but the red spruce was way tight and needed more work to play in than I was prepared to put in at the time - so I went for something with a fraction more volume and bass out of the box. I may yet go back for a KM1000 a bit later!

jefflester
Mar-06-2008, 12:17pm
So did I hear right? The km-1500 is coming back? Or at least the new version of it? I'm excited to see one. Those new km-1000's are impressive for a new kentucky. Is a km-2000 possibly being born as well?

Andy
KM-2500? KM-5000? Where does the model number inflation end? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

h2o-X
Mar-06-2008, 12:26pm
I saw and played Tom's Scruggs prototype before he got it, and it is pretty cool. It has the tone not to mention some pretty unique appointments that separate it from the current KM1000 and the future KM1500.

I just wonder if and when the KM Scruggs will be released. Even more so, I am waiting for the new KM Dawg!

f5loar
Mar-06-2008, 1:48pm
The 1500 is on the books to come out but no date set. The Dawg might not be so easy since there is some copyright issues to contend with.
I'm not sure how this new Kentucky outfit ties into the old one but they sure found some great luthiers to build them this time around. I had an 80's 1500 and I've played dozens of Dawgs and 1000 from that era and these new ones are not even in the same league. These things are up there with the new Gibsons IMO. (Please no Gibson bashing over this IMO statement). If I were looking for a new F style that will get the job done under $2000 this is the one to seek out. And this might be the time to get one with a new change President coming in with a looming deep recession that may not allow trade with certain foreign countries or raise the taxes so high on it a USA Gibson would be a bargin.

Steve Perry
Mar-07-2008, 4:51pm
Ok... one more time... I'm assuming you guys mean a Skaggs model instead of Scruggs. #It'd make a lot more sense.

So anyway, #What makes the Scruggs/Skaggs prototype different from the KM-1000?

red7flag
Mar-07-2008, 6:50pm
Any know the what specs will be different with the KM-1500 vs KM-1000? Thank you in advance.
Tony

f5loar
Mar-07-2008, 8:57pm
What you saying Earl don't like no mandolins? Don't tell Curly that! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

tin ben dur
Mar-07-2008, 9:39pm
I just received my KM1000 from Dennis and Bryan at The Mandolin Store and it kicks butt. I love the vintage appointments. I opted for the Cumberland Accoustics full size pick guard and I am very happy with it. I am no expert about sound but it sounds awesome to me. It sounds as good or better than some of the what I call high dollar production mandolins that are seasoned. I am very happy. I had to wait until this last batch crossed the big pond but it was well worth the weight. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

h2o-X
Mar-08-2008, 12:37am
I know the difference between Skaggs, Scruggs (and Seckler for that matter).

The Kentucky F5 that Mr. f5loar has did NOT say "Skaggs" on the truss rod cover when I saw it. It has a "cru" instead of "ka".

And, it was certainly spec'd differently than the run of the mill KM1000: different bridge, different neck, different fretboard, different trussrod cover.... even had a different tailpiece in it's initial testing phases.

It has (had) a pearl nut, beautiful tobacco 'burst, and I was told it's a red spruce top... sounded like it to me. But I am a neophyte compared to many of you substantially more learned mandolin aficionados.

I, for one, am kinda sad that the KM DAWG is not looming on the 8 string horizon. I have always been somewhat taken... neigh, smitten with that big ol' hook scroll and symmetrical peghead... SIGH... Mr. Monteleone is certainly a man of vision (much like the Cafe's own Messers Newell and Bussmann.)

Hey! Come to think of it, instead of recycling a KM1000 for the new KM sCRUggs Signature Model, why wouldn't Saga Musical Instruments of San Francisco, California, make that old KM DAWG design, with it's non-traditional aesthetics, into Earl's new Signature Model? Certainly, any man who would add drums to Bluegrass would appreciate the DAWG design in all its evolutionary beauty. (It's just a thought.)

Andrew B. Carlson
Mar-08-2008, 3:07pm
Would it be a crime if we asked Mr. f5loar to possibly hook us up with some pictures of the aforementioned new Kentuckys? I would certainly be tickled to see a "Scraggs" model.

h2o-X
Mar-08-2008, 6:51pm
Who would've thought that this idyllic moment from yesteryear would end up being so appropriate to this very thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCYCCuJLIaA&feature=related

Interestingly enough, Ricky is referred to as "Ricky sCRAggs" by Lester at the end of the video clip. That just adds to the irony of the saga of the SAGA Musical Instrument Company's new signature model F5.

f5loar
Mar-08-2008, 10:54pm
I have a camera and I have this thing called "my compter".
You come here to my house and take the photo of the Scruggs model, upload or download whichever it is and then figure out how to go from A to B to C back to A down to E and loop it around D to put up here and you can have at it.
But asking me to do it you would have a better chance of getting me to fix a VCR that has that blinking "12:00" in red lights problem. And don't tell me you can tell me how to do it either in an email or over the phones. Like VCRs I have found not all computers are created equal. When you have to talk over a phone to some guy that can't speak English very good in India for 10 hours straight you learn to give up quick. Next time I see Evan I'll see if can photograph it on his camera and do the deed. He has just enough "geek" in him to gett'er done.

Andrew B. Carlson
Mar-08-2008, 11:22pm
I understand. And thank you for the all the trouble you're going through.

Another thought about the new km-1500's. I see some of the old 1500's had the fern on the headstock. Might that be a difference from the 1000? I'd be happy for sure then with a Kentucky "fern".

f5loar
Mar-09-2008, 3:26pm
I recall all the KM1500 were Fern inlay, side bound and gold parts. I've noted one big difference in the old and new is in the lacquer application. The new ones are much thinner thereby giving a better sound. And the shading is more Loar like this time around.